• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

How gentle are Buffons? My male minutes after leaving his breeding flight and back to the garden.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arachloroptera

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Ok I'll try again with You tube paste after Stevos help. People often ask about the disposition of Buffons Macaws. "Well they act like macaws but are very gentle." Here I've filmed my Male Buffons minutes after leaving his breeding flight, last baby just pulled and he is still sweet. Female Blue and Gold will take a bit more time to calm down. Breeders can really appreciate this. I am so proud of him ... he and Ruffles BG are my first pair to successfully leave the garden completely uncaged, go to a breeding flight, have babies, and then return back to the open garden. The first step to an "almost cageless breeding program." It's not rocket science-I know-but a way to hopefully give back to these magnificent animals whose offspring keep our company in our homes.

Last edited by a moderator:

MacDaddie

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Bob
Re: How gentle are Buffons? My male minutes after leaving his breeding flight and back to the garden

My oh my!! He's GORGEOUS!!!! :heart:

NikkiCat

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nicole
Re: How gentle are Buffons? My male minutes after leaving his breeding flight and back to the garden

Oh wow, he is beautiful. And he does seem so sweet. :heart:

DutchHillAviary

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kevin

Just try doing that with any of my males LOLOL. You'd be missing half an arm :rofl:

Big Blues

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award

Awwwwwww, so wonderful to see him right out of the breeding cage with personality still just as sweet as ever. :)

TextsFromParrots

Biking along the boulevard
Real Name
Kristen

Ohhh he's BEAUTIFUL!

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew

He looks so gentle!

Matt

Arachloroptera

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran

Just try doing that with any of my males LOLOL. You'd be missing half an arm :rofl:
I know!! right? I have a harley male that is absolutely vicious! I am a bit concerned about rotating him into the garden. :rofl: I sooooo much need a huge barn type building where the real fiesty ones can hang out on open "rails" and "walkabouts" (long eucalyptus branches) Yep... my dream cage is a huge barn totally planted and skylighted inside with a rail all the way around the inside paremeter. :lol:

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez

Beautiful! :heart: And I love that you still keep them as companions even when they're breeders. I really like and admire that :)

Leza

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Annaleza

STUNNING! I would seriously give an arm and a leg just to meet one. :heart:

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole

Can't wait to watch the video in the morning...later.:)

crzybrdldy

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Patty

Blushing handsome boy.

applejack

Real Name
Lindsay

Omg he is beautiful. Buffons are my dream macaws; they are absolutely amazing. And he seems so sweet and gentle. I agree with Mercedez, it is really admirable how you keep your breeders as companions. So awesome.

BraveheartDogs

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Vicki

:omg:he is so gorgeous. I have never seen one before. Is he very big?

suncoast

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ginger

Don't they bond with the female? Or is it just a hook up? He's probably all relaxed and happy because he he get's all the fun and none of the responsibility of little fabies wanting Oh, just everything. :D

Kevin

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Kevin

Wow you do not hear of nice breeders very often. Great job.

Kevin

65sunnyday

Real Name
April, aka 'SUNNY'

Look at that flushed face!!! Could you go all the way & do co-parenting?

Arachloroptera

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran

Don't they bond with the female? Or is it just a hook up? He's probably all relaxed and happy because he he get's all the fun and none of the responsibility of little fabies wanting Oh, just everything. :D
Actually they do bond very strongly to their mates so he is in the garden with her. He had his hands full feeding the female that would then feed the babies.

Arachloroptera

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran

:omg:he is so gorgeous. I have never seen one before. Is he very big?
Very big and heavy. Omgosh he is so heavy -to hold him for extended amounts of time- it's best to perch him on the palm of your hand with arm extended straight down to the waist.

Arachloroptera

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran

Thankyou everyone for your nice comments. I very much enjoy trying to keep my breeders as "pets." Some of my macaws will not let me pet them but I can feed them from my hand while they are in the garden, all of them will step on my arm but some wont let me touch them. One in particular will let me hug her, kiss her cheeks, and pet her anywhere. (that would be Rose my female GW) She is the one closest to my heart. Any of them could become more tamed and friendly but I am happy to just be a part of the flock- in and out of their daily routine-cleaning, feeding, taking pictures, and studying their behavior. This is what allows me to have so many without going crazy.

Status
Not open for further replies.