• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

How do you train your birds?

firdy num num

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Eden
I am now in training with Paris and she is nearly at the end of it but I would like to also know how you train your birds. :D I have a few ways I would like to share with you guys but I know that all of you have your special ways too. A healthy treat that I use with Paris is juicing up fresh fruit and vegetables and using a syringe to treat her with it.

Every time Paris does the right thing when I tell her to, I let her have a lick of the juice off the syringe tip, her favourite is Paw-Paw juice mixed with Blueberries and apples. I also give her variaties of juices that she likes, so I think that training is much more fun when she gets her favourite treat.

This next step is mostly used for lorikeets, so not sure if other birds can eat it too but I'd recommend to not feed it to other parrots but loris. The next treat I use is a giant dried fruit block that I buy in a packet like packaging. (Here is the link if interested in buying it)
Passwell Avian Delight Lorikeet 75g - petking.com.au
I dice it up in smaller pieces so if Paris does a good thing I give it to her in small amounts for her to chew on, I make it smaller because I don't want it to take her too long to eat it.

Well there you go! I'd like to hear your techniques and I am SO sorry for making it soooooo long! :banghead: But anyways, thanks is advance. :hug8:

QBird

Jogging around the block
Given the busy holiday season I can safely say I am the well trained slave and occasionally when I've sorted out the birds needs they may let me stroke them or do a trick to reward me for my good behavior and timely completion of my cooking and cleaning duties. Each of the duties is carefully supervised to ensure that any spare fruit/vegs finds it's way to a beak and that I do not disturb their world (cages and stands) too much when cleaning, as permission is granted for only a set duration for some of them.
Last night I was ganged up on 3 against 1 as they tried to teach me to give up the sponge and sweeping brush, I failed to perform this trick adequately for them this time!

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia
i give my g2 percy almonds or praise for his reward in positive reinforcemnet

Kaylea

Real Name
Kaylea
My Macaws love it when I get excited for them... when Skyler does something good.. I get really excited and she will do it again...and again to see me get happy..
She knows she's done something verry good.. when she does things I don't want her to do.. I ignore the behavior. .and she just let's it go.. she knows I'm not pleased with it...
She learns things verry fast n verry well :)

Kaylea

Real Name
Kaylea
Like when I was training her to raise her wings n praise the Lord... soon as she raised her wings I gave her hugs n kisses saying ALLLLLLRRRRRIGHT!!! WAY DA GO SKYLER!!! she loves it :)

Laurul Feather Cat

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lois
Two basic things I teach my birds: to step up on a hand held perch, whether it is one foot or six feet long, and to sit quietly within my hands while being restrained. Both of these behaviors are what I term as "safety" behaviors; the hand held perch gets them out of a dangerous situation whether they are in a good mood or not, and the active hand restraint keeps them safe once caught (no struggling allowed in my hands). Both behaviors are taught with positive reinforcement and maybe a almond sliver or birdy bread snack now and then.

firdy num num

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Eden
Thanks everyone! You all sure have some cool training techniques, @Kaylea, all I have to say for you is :lol:Skyler sounds like a cutie. :hehe:

JAM

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
@firdy num num the one thing ours go nuts for is the Lori Treat made by the same people who do Attraction or honey in a syringe. The fruit juice and dry fruit they tend to not be as receptive with. :cool: