• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pictures How do you tell the Red Headed Conures Apart???

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
How do you tell any two species apart, honestly? So many different species look similar! How is one any different than another? I've seen photos of hybrid maroon bellied x green cheek conures, blue fronted amazon x orange wing amazon, jenday x sun, and a multitude of red headed conure hybrids! People either didn't realize they were creating hybrids or they didn't know they owned a hybrid!

Things that determine differences in species may be slight differences in coloration, size, call, mating habits, etc.

I don't have enough photos for this to be a full guide, so will have to make do with what I've gathered so far!

Mitred vs Cherry Head

1634962763772.png

1634962784729.png

Mitred conures, on average, weigh within 180-250 grams of weight, give or take. They are born green with a red stripe above their nares. As they mature, the red expands to around their eyes. Depending on subspecies, the red may or may not extend into the cheeks and further back on the head. The red on the top of the head never goes past the middle of their eye. Some mitreds can have extreme amounts of red to their facial area, but again, it never goes past the middle part of the eye! Amount of red varies between subspecies. The color may surround the eyes, but never reaches far on the top of the head. They have minimal amounts of red to their wings and ankles. There will be a darker red patch of feathers right above the nose.

1634962804090.png

1634962989855.png

Cherry heads, also known as red masked conures, on average, weigh 130-180 grams. They are born completely green and color up as they mature. I often like to say that it appears as if their head was dipped into a can of paint! They didn't play in the paint like the mitreds did, they got dipped in! As adults, they have a full red mask with extensive red within the wings on the outer edge and some amounts at the ankles.

1634962817134.png

Waglers vs Mitred

Waglers, also known as Red Fronted and Scarlet Fronted conures, on average, weigh around the same as mitred conures or larger. That is 180-260+ grams in weight. They are born completely green and color up as adults or may have minimal amounts of red as chicks. They have more red speckling in the wing, which may be as much red as cherry heads display in their own wings. The red on the head may reach the center of the eye or may extend just slightly further than the back of the eye. The red may, or may not, touch the eyes, depending upon subspecies. May or may not have red ankles.

Cherry Head vs Waglers

White Eyed
I have no comparison photos with white eyed conures. On average, they weigh around 140+ grams, are born completely green and color up as adults. They will get red at the edge and bend of the wing (like cherry heads) and may or may not have red speckling to the facial area. Some white eyeds may have a small patch of red in the lower cheeks. No red to the ankles.

Finsch's
I have no comparison photos with Finsch's, also known as Crimson Fronted Conures. On average, they weigh 130+ grams and are like the smaller counterpart of the Waglers. They are born green and may have a minimal amounts to no red to the forehead as juveniles. As adults, they have a red triangle to the forehead that never touches the eyes. Some amount of red to the wings. No red to the ankles.

[ Mexican] Green
I have no comparison photos with Green conures. On average, they probably weigh 100-120 grams and some may look like white eyed conures, without the red to the bend and edge of wing and ankles. May or may not have red speckling to the facial area. Some subspecies may have a noticeable yellow wash to the stomach and chest area.

1634963214001.png

Red Throated
I have no great comparison photos with Red Throats. Average weight probably 110-130 grams. They may be born completely green or with minimal amounts of red to throat area. No red to ankles, no red to wings, or only flecks of red at the bend and edge of wing. As adults, they have a red throat, red may extend some around the neck, a little into the cheeks and down a little into the chest feathers. The red throat may be full red or may be speckled with green.

1634962846210.png

1634962855420.png

Any and all of these conure species may have some red coloration to the stomach area or it may be absent. Additional red speckling may be seen in the face, neck, cheeks and back of the head in any of these species. It may also take 3-6 years or more for some of these species to reach their full adult coloration.

Red throats and green conures may have a blue wash to the crown.

Additional/more thorough descriptions and photos may be found at the following website.

Conures | WPT Parrot Encyclopedia
We protect parrots. WPT is a leading, science-based, results-oriented parrot conservation and welfare organization.
www.parrots.org

Last edited by a moderator:

Katy

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
Very interesting looking and reading. I lived in Peru for a time and we had what I thought were Cherry Heads, but like you say, hard to tell. It's obvious you've put a ton of work into this. Thanks for sharing your work product with us.

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Thank you Monica! This helps make it easier.

Matt

Birdie Boyzz

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Emily
Thank you so much!! I have been calling my mitred conure a cherry head. His face has darker red by his nostrils and the red only goes slightly past his eyes, he has some extra speckles of red along his neck. His wings have a tiny bit of red on the edge, his legs only have a little bit right by his feet. I have a question if you can answer it for me. My conure Fletcher has yellow primaries, is this a color mutation? I think it may be that his color changed due to fatty liver disease. He’s a rescue and was fed only sunflower seeds in his previous home. He was also kept in a cage so tiny that he didn’t have the space to open his wings. He definitely has fatty liver disease, he was severely neglected in his previous home. He is 200 grams exactly. But do you know why he has yellow feathers in that spot?

Birdie Boyzz

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Emily
He has been switched to a pellet based diet and gets fresh fruits and veggies daily, so I am on top of his condition.

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
He's a smaller mitred then! From the sounds of it! Do you have pictures of him?

The yellow flights could indeed be from the fatty liver disease. My own had a tail feather that maybe 1/3 or so of it was tipped in red which was rather interesting! Only just one feather though, and once molted, it grew back normally. There aren't many mutations in the 'red heads' yet, although pied is one of them.

Here's a picture of another mitred. If possible, I would love to get a better picture of him! Maybe even with him next to my own! ;) This is a picture that was sent to me but goes to show just how *RED* mitred conures can be! BUT... the red doesn't exactly go past the eye... the cheeks are *so* red, but still falls short on top!

Resized_Screenshot-140450.jpeg

And I see I need to update a couple of pictures since the address to the images must have been changed...

Farlie

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Rick
... And I see I need to update a couple of pictures since the address to the images must have been changed...
If you use this site for hosting your pix you wouldn't have to worry about the addresses being changed and we wouldn't get the 'No Photo' warning. :D

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
If you use this site for hosting your pix you wouldn't have to worry about the addresses being changed and we wouldn't get the 'No Photo' warning. :D

It's only because of where the photos are hosted! ;) Some of the photos are in a Flickr group ---> https://www.flickr.com/groups/2166664@N24/pool/

And others are posted in a personal album.

Just easy to link to the images rather than going through the "extra" work of adding them to the forum! lol It's not a lot, I know!

Farlie

Real Name
Rick
It's only because of where the photos are hosted! ;) Some of the photos are in a Flickr group ---> https://www.flickr.com/groups/2166664@N24/pool/

And others are posted in a personal album.

Just easy to link to the images rather than going through the "extra" work of adding them to the forum! lol It's not a lot, I know!

What I hate is the 'No Photo' message we get with folks that don't post them here. In a couple years or so your photos won't be seen anymore but your post will. Just saying... :shrug:

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
@Monica Did it come out the way that you wanted it to?

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
@expressmailtome nope... removed the images... guess the copy/paste didn't work quite so well?

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
@Monica The pictures are not showing up for you?

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
@expressmailtome negative. Only two are working, rest aren't. Maybe they need to be re-uploaded to the post?

Wardy

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Excelent article Monica