1. Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

How do you store your pellets/seeds?

Discussion in 'Feathered Food Court' started by Sky, 12/7/16.

1. Sky

Sky Strolling the yard Avenue Veteran

I'm a bit nervous to spend a lot of money buying food in bulk and then finding some of it going to waste. I've found Vittles Vaults to store foods well - are there any other good options? Insects and molding are my concerns as I'm in Florida so there's lots of insects and sometimes our house gets warm/humid.

2. webchirp

webchirp Cruising the avenue Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran Rescue Representative I'm a SECRET SANTA - Are you?

Chandra
    Before the fosters, I would do gallon zip lock bags and freeze what I didn't use in a few weeks as I have always purchased bulk pellets and nutriberries. Now I just use the vital vaults as I go through 40 lbs of nutriberries a month.

Monica and Laurul Feather Cat like this.
  3. iamwhoiam

iamwhoiam Cruising the avenue Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Veteran I Can't Stop Posting! POSTAHOLIC

Freezer and refrigerator for seeds and pellets. Since I get large bags of seed mix delivered I store that in gallon freezer ziploc bags and then put in the freezer. Vittle vault for treats and other pellets.

4. Macaw Lover

Macaw Lover Rollerblading along the road Avenue Veteran

Renee'
    Specifically with the Harrisons foods, they are to only be kept in the bags they came in and used within 6 weeks of opening and only stored in the refrigerator. This is what I learned after calling and asking if I could buy the larger bags and split that up into smaller containers, etc. They really don't recommend freezing the bags but I have to do that, I just don't store it in any other container. The bags they come in are designed for that pellet.

cult, Laurul Feather Cat and Aubrey like this.
  5. rocky'smom

rocky'smom Biking along the boulevard Avenue Spotlight Award

laurie
    I save all the screw topped jars I can get for anything not stored in the refrigerator. I live apt and only have limited amount of freezer space. we are not allowed to have small freezer. I can take pictures I you want them.

Aubrey likes this.
  6. Distaff

Distaff Sprinting down the street

Mary
    Freezer and glass jars. You could also try the desiccant and O2 absorber packets. Mylar bags and five gallon buckets work well if you don't want to use glass. All avail. on Amazon. If you are unfamiliar with how to use these, search YouTube for long term food storage DIY's.

Aubrey likes this.
  7. TWR

TWR Rollerblading along the road Avenue Veteran

I freeze my pellets and keep my sprouting mix in the refrigerator.

8. JLcribber

JLcribber Joyriding the Neighborhood Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran Shutterbugs' Best

John
    Buying in big bulk amounts isn't that practical unless you use it all in a timely fashion. Food gets old and loses a lot of its value.

cult, Laurul Feather Cat and Amanda6 like this.
  9. Mizzely

Mizzely Cruising the avenue Celebirdy of the Month Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran Vendor BINGO CHAMPION

Shawna
    I buy in bulk and freeze in 1 lb portions. Dry unfrozen stuff is then kept in things like these:

upload_2016-12-8_1-46-23.png

10. Heather F

Heather F Rollerblading along the road

Yeah, I buy the 5lb bag of Harrison's and keep it in the freezer. I have a 1lb bag from a previous purchase that I use for the couple weeks' worth that I take out at a time. But the zip top is wearing out on it so eventually I'll likely just keep it in a storage container.

11. Sky

Sky Strolling the yard Avenue Veteran

Oh I forgot about the freezer - sadly though we don't have the freezer space. We want to get a freezer for the garage later on though.

How long do you think most foods would last outside of the freezer before losing their value? I'm not real sure how quickly my parrots would get through it.

12. Laurul Feather Cat

Laurul Feather Cat Cruising the avenue Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran

Lois
    I keep my Harrisons in the original bag but I fold down the top of bag and use a clip to keep it closed as I do not trust those zip locks. I then store the bag in a vittle vault type storage container. Five pounds of coarse lasts one month; one pound of fine lasts one month.

I keep my seed, dried fruits and nut mixes and other stuff in more vittles vault type containers. I never buy more than I can use in one month.

Animallover03 likes this.
  13. Mizzely

Mizzely Cruising the avenue Celebirdy of the Month Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran Vendor BINGO CHAMPION

Shawna

Harrisons suggests using everything within 4 or 6 weeks of opening.

14. cult

cult Moving in

Jonas
    That's the trouble for me too since I have only one parrot. It just impossible for her, an Africa Grey, to finish 5 lbs in 6 weeks. I am buying 1 lb bags instead, but it is too expensive and will last less than 4 weeks. Why can't Harrison has some bags of 2.5 or 3 lbs? It will offer people more buying option as well as reduce the cost and protect the environment.

15. cult

cult Moving in

Jonas
    I wanted to do the same but it was on Harrison's website and product information page saying that the food should be used in 4-6 weeks time or the nutrition would be lost and kept in refrigerator was not helping.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)