• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

How do you keep your floors clean?

Archiesmom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Natalie
I'm a huge fan of the "DIY" approach to things. I had a steam mop for many years and I LOVED it, but it recently died, and I'm not finding anything in the market today that I feel is the same quality that isn't ridiculously overpriced.

So, as a temporary solution, I went and bought a Swiffer WetJet. I did my kitchen floors with it and really liked how it worked! That is, until I read all the chemicals that was in the cleaning solution :depressed: I walk around barefoot in my kitchen/house all the time (although an early Minnesota winter calls for Cabin Socks lately, which are quite divine!) and there is NO WAY I'd feel comfortable having those chemicals come into contact with my bare skin, let alone even THINK about using it around my birds! :omg:

So, I hit up good ole Pinterest, and was not disappointed!
I found a way to remove the cap from the Swiffer solution (it requires a pliers) and make my own cleaning solution out of water, distilled vinegar, and essential oils, without there being any leaks. One recipe called for dish soap which works REALLY well on my vinyl flooring in the kitchen, but left a residue on my laminate flooring downstairs.

Finally, one recipe called for the YL "Thieves" cleaning solution. Does anyone know if this is bird-safe at all? I was reading the ingredients and it sounds like there is a lot of "stuff" in there. I've been using lemon and lavender oil and it's been heavenly, but since bird poo can be SO sticky, something that was a little more heavy duty might be in order. Also, has anyone made their own using the "Poop Off" solution? At some point, I am going to recommit to a steam mop (it was just so nice, and chemical-free!), and I'm thinking I could retire the Swiffer to be used strictly for the bird floors. Has anyone tried this before?

I'd love to hear your thoughts!
PS- here is the link to the tutorial that I found on how to get the cap off. I read some that said you need to boil it in hot water first, but I didn't need to. It might help to prevent leaking though, over multiple uses.

Swiffer Wet Jet Refills - How To Save Money By Making Your Own Homemade Cleaning Solution | Jets, Bottle and Cleaning solutions

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Theives is said to be safe but *i have never used it. I’ve used vinegar and also lemongrass oil successfully. We often just use water. I sometimes use a bleach wipe on the floor.

That’s the first thing I thought when he saw your post with the bird toys! Your beautiful floors!

Archiesmom

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Natalie
That’s the first thing I thought when he saw your post with the bird toys! Your beautiful floors!
Every time I hear a poo plop on the floor I inwardly cringe haha. They are still trying to figure out which spots are their "favorites" so I'm literally hunting with a roll of paper towels each time I hear the noise :roflmao: :marievacuums:

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Every time I hear a poo plop on the floor I inwardly cringe haha. They are still trying to figure out which spots are their "favorites" so I'm literally hunting with a roll of paper towels each time I hear the noise :roflmao: :marievacuums:
I do the same. I'm really their slave, and will follow them with a serviette in my hand ready to remove poop. :D

To remove dry poop is the worst thing, so that's why I'm always clean when I see or hear them landing. Splash! You rang, sir? :D

Archiesmom

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Natalie
Yes!!! That's pretty much how it goes now with them out and about on their new play areas

webchirp

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
OH my gosh! I love, love (did I say love?) my floor mate. Any large poops and I spray ahead of time and then just suck them up. The older version vacuumed and wash/dry'd but the newer one only does the wash/dry. I use it on my vinyl and laminate...with F10 cleaner

Last edited:

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
New floors here and I was told repeatedly by several sources not to use a steam cleaner on any floor other than tile.

Apparently it dissolves the glue in/under the vinyl or vinyl plank flooring and obviously steam/water isn't good for wood.

Have to figure this one out so I'll watch

Jenphilly

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jennifer
One of my favorites is to put white vinegar in a 2 liter soda bottle and slice up a lemon or grapefruit and shove into the bottle too. Let is sit for about a week, shaking once a day. Put thru a strainer before using.

Great cleaner without the chemicals. You can add a couple drops of orange or lemongrass essential oil to the mix as well if you like. If you have some stubborn poop on the floor, throw a hot rag or towel on it for about 10 minutes and it pretty much wipes up!

I have a shark steam mop that I use too with straight water, I will spray any poop spots before I start cleaning (or throw the hot towel on it if the poop dried).

Jas

Real Name
Jasmine
Baking soda, vinegar, water and lemon juice to remove stains etc. Really works and safe for birdies.

Also when they are out I put out puppy pads or children's changing PADS on the floor.

EllaMay

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
April
We had a health fair at work and I bought 3 bottles of Thieves past Wednesday, curious to see how it does this weekend. Currently I am using Poop off on the tough areas and Vingear and water for the rest of my floors.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
I have vinyl on some parts of my floor and place newspaper under some perches. It depends on where they're located. We have a combination of wood floors and tile floors. The birbs prefer to poop on wood. :roflmao:

Sweet Louise

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pat
I do the same. I'm really their slave, and will follow them with a serviette in my hand ready to remove poop. :D

To remove dry poop is the worst thing, so that's why I'm always clean when I see or hear them landing. Splash! You rang, sir? :D
That is the funniest thing all week! and so true (but for Louise it is ma'am)

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I have laminate and a Lysol spray mop. I just put Aviclean right in the mop to do my floors :)

Tiel Feathers

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
In addition to following the birds around like @Eloy :roflmao: I also use a swifter and put vinegar and water in it.

Archiesmom

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Natalie
OH my gosh! I love, love (did I say love?) my floor mate. Any large poops and I spray ahead of time and then just suck them up. The older version vacuumed and wash/dry'd but the newer one only does the wash/dry. I use it on my vinyl and laminate...with F10 cleaner
OOOOO that looks nice. Does it have problems vacuuming up "bird mess"? I specifically bought a shop vac so I could get the little wood splinters, Nutriberry remnants, and feathers.

webchirp

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
OOOOO that looks nice. Does it have problems vacuuming up "bird mess"? I specifically bought a shop vac so I could get the little wood splinters, Nutriberry remnants, and feathers.
You do have to sweep first

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
hot water vinegar