• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

How do you keep your bird off the floor

Lesley Yeung

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Lesley
Bird, for some reason is always on the floor, even though he can fly. He especially likes crawling under and even inside the couch, which he is systematically destroying.

I do not approve of this, but he is so persistent. It is unsafe and unhealthy and it makes me crazy.

Help

He has a crazy play gym and lots of toys.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Perhaps if you let him out in a room without comfy places to hide and walk it would make the floor unattractive to him. Sort of like a room with tile.

4mybirds

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Jessica
I understand what you mean, my African Grey Lulu is constantly on the floor. When shes out I have to make sure all the doors are closed and barakaid all the areas where she likes to get in trouble :devil:. Lulu loves to destroy cupboards and door jams no matter how many toys she has or wood blocks I buy her.

I just let everyone know that the floor bird is on the prowl, and keep it as safe as possible.

Lodah

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
We have trained Pilo to stay mostly on his window perch (which he loves) so the floor is not an issue! If he does occasionally fly down... we pick him up immediately and take his attention away from it! I guess we are sort of lucky to have such a happy chappy! :)

Dona

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Gigi loves when she lands on the floor and I don't pick her up right away. She wanders around and then finally comes to me and looks up. If she's down there I always make an announcement to my hub and watch her closely.

"Gigi's on the floor!"

IMG_5107.JPG

Just-passn-thru

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Suzanne
Keep putting bird back to where you have the perch, most birds are natural foragers , part of the package. eventually they learn . Just be consistent, as soon as you see your bird on the floor, put back where you want them to station.

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
Our code is "the chickens are out" when the tiels, usually joined by a Quaker or two, start walking around the kitchen floor and picking at things. Goodness knows, we don't feed them in the kitchen ...

LSA

Real Name
Leslie
I even started calling one bird "puppie." My SdC thinks it best to jump on the floor and hide under the cage at bedtime. A previous lovie thought floors and couches were invented for birds.

That's been common enough here. I was never able to stop it so quit trying and like @SandraK made it my job to not step/sit on any.

All I could figure is the bird sees you walking and/or sitting and wants to be like you. It's what any good flockmate does, right!

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
The answer is: I don't.
It is natural for them to be on the floor (seeking for food) and that also tells that they feel comfortable in their home.
What I do? I clean a lot, so the floor is clean. And I never walk with shoes indoors.

My SdC thinks it best to jump on the floor and hide under the cage at bedtime.
:hehe:

MiniMacaw

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lisa
My macaw Bowser is always walking on the floor. I adapted my home for that to happen safely, though it took a while. There are some rooms, like the kids rooms, that he doesn’t have access to, but the other rooms are Bowser safe. He loves following along with us and when he wants to be picked up he just lifts a leg and I get him. And he is totally, fully flighted lol. Some days he likes to zoom around corners and be super impressive and majestic and other days he waddles along behind me and makes grumbling noises at dust bunnies lol.

Lesley Yeung

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Lesley
Bird attacks our feet when we are walking (and sitting). He is sneaky about it too. So that is a recipe for disaster. I will try all your suggestions. Thank you all.

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Sadie
I don't encourage it, but Rupert manages to get there some times. When I open the door, I do it slowly, calling for the birds so that they sound off. Eyes scan the room, especially watching the floor. If there's no reply from Rupert, I'll say "Rupert, are you bein' naughty?" and for whatever reason, this usually makes him do his "watcha waaaaaaant" that helps me pinpoint where he's at. Always look to the floor just in case.

LSA

Real Name
Leslie
SHH I have something called hyperreflexia. SHH The birds learn fast if you mess with MY feet, you end up flying when you may not want to and possibly end up in "a galaxy far, far away." ;) Unfortunately, some birds see this as good takeoff help!!!:laugh:

DamJanet

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Vickie
Dammit has always walked on my floor. Mostly in the back when I am sitting back there and eating something. He climbs down the cage and up on my chair if he wants some.

webchirp

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
Laser pointer at my house...but Zephyr snuck up on me yesterday and bit my foot. Reminded me why he isn't allowed on the floor.

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
The two to watch in our house are Quaker JJ and gcc Beni, partners in crime. Beni rappels up pant legs or anything long enough for him to reach. They both like messing with laces on slippers or any footwear. Our flock has 5 fids that cannot fly due to physical reasons which cannot be remedied but they sure can run fast when one is trying to pick somebirdy up. Tiel Theo will walk into the family room and give me "the look" if he isn't satisfied with the food available to him in the bird room.

Actually there are 7 fids that cannot fly. I forgot about Quaker Polly Parrot who is blind; she probably could fly if she wanted to. Theo has feathers that don't grow properly on one wing, tiel Dizzy "isn't all there" she can fly down in a semi-circle but not up, tiel Pretty Baby has a fatty growth on one wing which was allowed to grow to the point where she can't freewheel around but can fly about 6', tiel Peeps I stepped on and though given vet care can't fly. Quaker Miss Daisy (originally feral) had an untreated wing injury as a chick, Loofa has arthritis and gout plus she won't leave Miss Daisy's side, Polly Parrot has cataracts and is the newest bird in the house. She's very cautiously getting used to her new home even though she's still in the cage she came in.

The Quaker girls, Daisy & Loofa don't come out of the bird room though they could if they wanted to. They've recently taken to climbing over to Quaker JJ's cage and pestering him. Pretty Baby doesn't leave the tiel cage unless Pretty Bird is leading.

Last edited:

Begone

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Bird attacks our feet when we are walking (and sitting). He is sneaky about it too. So that is a recipe for disaster.
You can teach them that feet are okey. I have done that with success with all my parrots. I have no other option because I never wear socks and do need them for running.

Princessbella

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Theresa
Bella isn't a typically a floor bird but when she is on the floor, I taught her to chirp so I know where she is. As for the couch, you have to make it evil. Either place a blanket over it or better yet, put something that he is afraid of on or near the couch. Unfortunately for Bella, she is afraid of vegetables.

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name