• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

How do you handle biting?

Kestrel

Strolling the yard
@Zara yes I will admit its becoming a habit for me to refer to Ayrendi as "she". Its partly because everyone is saying it looks like a female. Even the breeder was referring to Ayrendi as "she" before I brought her home LOL. But, no I don't really know for sure. Sorry for the confusion!

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
If he bites really hard, you should remain calm and collected so he'll understand that biting is not gonna earn him attention or a treat.
No. Actually what will happen, is this will reinforce this action as acceptable.
Avoid bites as much as possible. If you know when the nipppyness starts, you can more her to a play stand or her cage beforehand, but not after.

If it gets really bad, you can try to put him back into his cage for a minute or two to show him that biting will result in less attention
Sorry, but again, I disagree.
Best not to put him in the cage after displaying this sort of behaviour. If there´s a routine and you know when this behaviour will start, ++``+ put him back in the cage before it happens. If you put Ayrendi in the cage after, he will associate this behaviour with returning to the cage and so when he wants to go to the cage, he will get all nippy.

I will admit its becoming a habit for me to refer to Ayrendi as "she". Its partly because everyone is saying it looks like a female. Even the breeder was referring to Ayrendi as "she" before I brought her home LOL. But, no I don't really know for sure.
I usually refer to my Sydney as he, but I have called her a she in the past. I don´t know the sex. I´m contemplating DNA testing but now I´m leaning more towards male.
It´s really not that deep whether you say he or she ;)

aqualover9

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Adriana
No. Actually what will happen, is this will reinforce this action as acceptable.
Avoid bites as much as possible. If you know when the nipppyness starts, you can more her to a play stand or her cage beforehand, but not after.

Sorry, but again, I disagree.

That's interesting. Thanks for sharing!

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
Agreed. From putting her in the cage she'll just learn that if she wants to go to her cage she just has to bite and she'll get what she wants, AND get a lift there to boot.

aqualover9

Real Name
Adriana
Agreed. From putting her in the cage she'll just learn that if she wants to go to her cage she just has to bite and she'll get what she wants, AND get a lift there to boot.
Makes sense, I stand corrected. :smuggrin:

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
@aqualover9 Take note, birds like their cages, it is where their toys are, where the food is, where the water is, their perches, their hiding spaces etc It is a fun place... so why would we punish them by sending them to their fun place?
If your bird does not like their cage, they need a new one or more toys.

Also worth remembering that punishing birds never works. It will just lead to other problems. Positive reinforcement is key :)

Birds remember which actions lead to which consequences. They remember if they get a treat for playing on their stand, or stepping up. So if you take them to their cage for biting, that will be imprinted in them that biting will result in a free ride to their fun place.

aqualover9

Real Name
Adriana
@aqualover9 Take note, birds like their cages, it is where their toys are, where the food is, where the water is, their perches, their hiding spaces etc It is a fun place... so why would we punish them by sending them to their fun place?
If your bird does not like their cage, they need a new one or more toys.

Also worth remembering that punishing birds never works. It will just lead to other problems. Positive reinforcement is key :)

Birds remember which actions lead to which consequences. They remember if they get a treat for playing on their stand, or stepping up. So if you take them to their cage for biting, that will be imprinted in them that biting will result in a free ride to their fun place.
I understand, so if your bird does something wrong (you don't like), you do nothing?

Last edited:

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
so if your bird does something wrong

My birds never do anything wrong.

For eg, the birds are being noisy.. it is not wrong, it is just undesired. They are birds after all. I just focus on cutting back some of the noise by getting them flying and burning up some energy, and plenty of foraging. I know I sound like an old record waffling on about foraging all the time but it is so easy to provide and can do wonders.

Then we have biting, yes, sometimes the birds will nip me, only the young ones. When they are adult you will see a bite coming and will be able to dodge it. But all my lovebird chicks have gone through a nippy stage. It is not wrong, they are growing and learning, exploring. At first they will get me. But very quickly I realise ¨oh, an hour after breakfast, I´m getting nipped¨ so I will put the bird back in the cage after 45 mins, and get her out again later on. That cuts out that period of the day where she was nippy.
As for the times they do get me that I mentioned, I will get up and walk away from the bird and sit at my other table. It is not a fix, but it will do while I figure out the routine so that I can avoid future bites.

I´m not sure what else could be perceived as ¨wrong¨... but I know it is not wrong.
Maybe shredding my documents or books... it´s not wrong of the birds, it is natural for them. The fault lies on my half nfor not storing my stuff out of reach of the birds. The rule in my house is, if it is out, it belongs to the birds ;)

aqualover9

Real Name
Adriana
My birds never do anything wrong.

For eg, the birds are being noisy.. it is not wrong, it is just undesired. They are birds after all. I just focus on cutting back some of the noise by getting them flying and burning up some energy, and plenty of foraging. I know I sound like an old record waffling on about foraging all the time but it is so easy to provide and can do wonders.

Then we have biting, yes, sometimes the birds will nip me, only the young ones. When they are adult you will see a bite coming and will be able to dodge it. But all my lovebird chicks have gone through a nippy stage. It is not wrong, they are growing and learning, exploring. At first they will get me. But very quickly I realise ¨oh, an hour after breakfast, I´m getting nipped¨ so I will put the bird back in the cage after 45 mins, and get her out again later on. That cuts out that period of the day where she was nippy.
As for the times they do get me that I mentioned, I will get up and walk away from the bird and sit at my other table. It is not a fix, but it will do while I figure out the routine so that I can avoid future bites.

I´m not sure what else could be perceived as ¨wrong¨... but I know it is not wrong.
Maybe shredding my documents or books... it´s not wrong of the birds, it is natural for them. The fault lies on my half nfor not storing my stuff out of reach of the birds. The rule in my house is, if it is out, it belongs to the birds ;)

Thanks so much for sharing! I just edited my post. Yes, I meant undesired, thanks for pointed out the mistake! It's amazing how almost everything falls into place when you realize the ways your bird behaves!

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
You´re welcome. You are still new to birds and learning, many people new to birds would think of their behaviour almost like dogs or a childs, but birds aren´t domesticated , they are wild animals so their behaviour is completely different and when you house a bird you must be aware of that.

If you are ever unsure or want to know more about something someone said here, just ask. It´s great you are putting the time in to read and research and learn before getting a bird. It will make you a better bird parent :)

aqualover9

Real Name
Adriana
You´re welcome. You are still new to birds and learning, many people new to birds would think of their behaviour almost like dogs or a childs, but birds aren´t domesticated , they are wild animals so their behaviour is completely different and when you house a bird you must be aware of that.

If you are ever unsure or want to know more about something someone said here, just ask. It´s great you are putting the time in to read and research and learn before getting a bird. It will make you a better bird parent :)

Thanks for the insight!