• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

How do you even know when they're molting?

Xoetix

Biking along the boulevard
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
I feel like I'm cleaning up 5947372925 feathers a day with Tito and Davey. The little bitty feathers that, instead of sweeping, you have to vacuum because the slight air movement sends them straight up your nose.

When there are constant feathers everywhere, how do you tell they're molting?

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
how do you tell they're molting?
When bigger feathers fall not just the floofies. So when you are finding coverts and tail feathers :)

The little bitty feathers that, instead of sweeping, you have to vacuum because the slight air movement sends them straight up your nose.
I had a thought about that. Those floofies and bits go flying so easily, imagine all the dander and other particles! I have abandoned sweeping altogether now as I feel the hoover is better for our health - me and the birds! So even when there's noone moulting, the hoover is my go-to cleaning buddy.

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Laura
My budgies are always loosing fluffy, and tiny ones.
But the big feathers happened late summer early fall

Xoetix

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
I'm really thinking about saving my pennies for a robot vac for the bird room, except with the constant poop it might end up similar to that nightmare scenerio that was all over the internet a few years ago o_O

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
I'm really thinking about saving my pennies for a robot vac for the bird room
I honesly think, if you really look at it.. it is not worth it. Getting a good cordless hoover, you can whip round in like 30 seconds. Easy peazy. Quick.
My mum has a robot here, and I never plug it in. It drives me mad, gets stuck constantly, is slow and doesn't even cover all the floor area well.

DesertBird

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
I feel like I'm cleaning up 5947372925 feathers a day with Tito and Davey. The little bitty feathers that, instead of sweeping, you have to vacuum because the slight air movement sends them straight up your nose.

When there are constant feathers everywhere, how do you tell they're molting?
You know they're molting when instead of 5947372925 feathers every day, you find 9707346492834698732 feathers, lol.

But in all seriousness, they usually have 2 molts, one in spring and one in fall. That's when they'll lose their wing and tail feathers too.

Sarahmoluccan

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Sarah
I'm really thinking about saving my pennies for a robot vac for the bird room, except with the constant poop it might end up similar to that nightmare scenerio that was all over the internet a few years ago o_O
I there theirs mopping ones now. I think @Macawnutz might have one.

I honesly think, if you really look at it.. it is not worth it. Getting a good cordless hoover, you can whip round in like 30 seconds. Easy peazy. Quick.
My mum has a robot here, and I never plug it in. It drives me mad, gets stuck constantly, is slow and doesn't even cover all the floor area well.
I think it really depends on your layout. My brother bought one for my mom and we don't use that often. Too many furniture legs and areas it can't really reach. It watching it is frustrating sometimes :lol:

I noticed a big change in the amount of feathers this year. And I didn't know why.
:shrug: And then it occurred to me. Since my dog Bitsy passed there's been a real increase in little feathers all over. I knew Bits occasionally ate the odd feather, I had no idea he was basically eating all of them! :burp1:
So my advice, get yourself a dog who loves eating floofs! It seriously cuts down your cleaning time!

:lol::dog3:

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
I still have the robot crew. Three roombas for multiple floors and a mopper. Of course I don't have a dog or even a speck of carpet. The whole house is wood floors except the bird room sleeping room which is laminate.

Love the robots for my setup. I loved it at the old house with carpeting also but I love more without.

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Love the robots for my setup.
Ooh. I'm very curious about this. I honestly couldn't imagine letting the robot loose in with the birds. It does that bump and shimmy thing to get around stuff sometimes, and I think if the birds were caged, they'd be startled. Does your robot do that? Bump into the cage legs? And are your birds in or out of the cages when they clean?
Maybe the bigger cages allow the robot to pass easier... I think I might have a go when I'm back from my trip and see if me and the birds like the robot or not.

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Well all my cages except Sakie are walk in aviaries. Sakie is in a 40x30 and the roomba travels underneath without issue around all four legs. The old roombas did a lot of slamming into things. My first roomba, the frog eater, was given to us in 2010 and it's still running great. It has old software and rams into things to turn. The newer roombas see walls and objects so they slow down to touch the object before turning. Either way I don't allow them to slam into cages with birds in them. RUDE. The sleeping room has the cleaning crew after the birds wake up and come downstairs.

Now downstairs is another story. The cleaning crew does navigate the lower house level with the birds out. The birds are on java trees with atoms and I have roomba barriers to stop them from hitting the java trees. Mostly the birds get onto the atoms when the robots are out but I don't want the roomba sucking in the sheets that cover the tree bases.

I would not live without the helpful cleaning crew. Maui loses those downy feathers and rips them into 85,000 pieces that float like a snow globe. I'm not exaggerating when I say you can't walk into the bird room in the morning without the floor floating with you. That room is right next to the dark wood stairs and that POOF floats right down the stairs and makes the worst ugly mess. I wish they had a roomba that could do stairs.

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
I'm sorry, the WHAT??
Little green thing. Goes "ribbit". Got ate by the robot :backout:

I think that for my little ones with less feathers in a smaller space with smaller cages to get around, I think that manual hoovering is probably easier for me. I can see the appeal though. @Xoetix maybe a robot would be better for you after all?

Xoetix

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
Little green thing. Goes "ribbit". Got ate by the robot :backout:

I think that for my little ones with less feathers in a smaller space with smaller cages to get around, I think that manual hoovering is probably easier for me. I can see the appeal though. @Xoetix maybe a robot would be better for you after all?
It might be. The bird room has linoleum flooring, it would just be a matter of making sure it doesn't run over the squares of fake grass.

I've never seen a frog in the room, so I guess that isn't something to worry about...

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
I've never seen a frog in the room, so I guess that isn't something to worry about...
:lol:

it would just be a matter of making sure it doesn't run over the squares of fake grass.
Maybe lift them up while it cleans? Or put out the blockers to keep the robot away.