• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

How do I use this?

Leanna

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Leanna B
So I got several recommendations for this to help Milo. He had a really rough start in life and his growth is permanently stunted. He turns a year old on the 20th and his feathers are still mostly black. I know this could be signs of liver damage. The new ones coming in on his face and tail are bright green though so that is encouraging. He is on eye drops for a possible infection right now. It was inflamed but my vet couldn't see what was wrong so he prescribed an antibiotic just in case.

It is hard for me to asses his health with feathers because most of his feathers are still black. I recently thought he was feather picking because down was poking through but my vet informed me eckie feathers just look rough when they get old. I get frustrated taking him places like my parrot specialty store and everyone looking at him in horror. I can't tell you how many times I've had to say 'Oh no, he's not on seed. He just hasn't recovered from the bad diet he was on as a baby.' I understand why they do that though. They get a lot of uneducated bird owners who feed their bird petco seed mixes.

IMG_20190715_135426.jpg

Rain Bow

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
You may have posted this on the wrong forum, if me bumping this doesn't help, you may want to try the "holistic forum". I'm not even sure who to tag, I hope this helps!

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Just put a few drops in the drinking water. Don't remember exactly how many drops I used to put in the water but it wasn't a lot. Since he is on other medication check with vet before using the detox.

CrazyKozmo

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Rebecca
Is he on a milk thistle supplement? It is good for the liver and kidneys. Since he's on meds, check with your vet first.

Leanna

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Leanna B
Today is his last day so it shouldn't matter but I'll wait till tomorrow just in case.
What's a good milk thistle supplement?

Rain Bow

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
My vet recommended Nature's Answer as it doesn't contain alcohol. If you buy this is a must for your fid (No alcohol)

CrazyKozmo

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Rebecca
I use milk thistle seeds that I give a tablespoon about twice a week (2 caiques). Or I'll use powdered milk thistle, and sprinkle a little on their sprouts twice a week. You can find organic milk thistle at most health food stores in the bulk food section. I just use it as a preventative...ask your vet for more precise dosing.