• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

How do I tame him?

HarryRingo

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Tracey
Rescued my boy Harry Ringo and although he doesn't lunge or attack he is terribly wary and sits with his back to me a lot of the time. Occasionally answers and faces me, almost took some apple from my hand but his courage failed him. He is with other birds in our home. His wings are long. To get him into the cage I had to wrap him in my sarong and he flapped and screeched and bit but mostly he is just afraid. He is about 2 apparently. He is eating, drinking, plays with a toy and watches the other birds and our interaction. My maroon bellied conure calls for me and she has a high pitched wine (being naughty) and he has picked his up and does the same.

Attachments

PufF

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Sam Chan
Be with him.Do things slowly.Bring a treat to him whenever you put your hand in the cage.Try to show him that your presence is good and that you won’t hurt him.Do not react when he screams because he you do he will know that screaming gets a reaction.He doesn’t care whether it is a good or bad reaction.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Spend time sitting beside, talking to him, etc. Even read to him so he can get used to you in a nonthreatening way. And try hand feeding him some type of food that he likes. Maybe a piece of almond or something like that.

HarryRingo

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Tracey
Thank you for the advice so far, appreciated. I'll do that. It's just that as soon as he sees me he turns his back on me. My beloved Oliver a Patagonian Conure died in Jan 2017 - he was born tame and adored me, we were inseparable, he was also 2 when I got him. I'm not really used to birds not bonding with me, Harry darling is a bit of a challenge. He's sooo cute though. He's saying something but we can't quite make out the words yet.

annoellyn

Walking the driveway
It's totally fine if he turns his back to you. Even if it doesn't seem it, he IS getting used to you. But it has to be on his terms. So maybe for a while he feels more comfortable with you not being forefront of his vision. But he can hear you, sense you, etc etc. Mine was the same way and like mentioned above, I just spent time doing normal ever day things. I even napped in the bird room.
Keep offering treats from your hand! That's great he took one! See your already on your way.

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
That’s great he took some apple from you! Don’t worry, you’ll get there. Just never force him to do anything, including wrapping him in your sarong, but rather try to make everything his choice. I actually read once that a parrot turning his back to you means that he trusts you, and knows you aren’t planning to do him harm, so maybe he’s just more comfortable not looking directly at you.

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
For birds who are terrified, I recommend giving them some way to 'escape' or 'hide'. In this way, they can feel safer. I do believe this helped with my ARN. Natural perches are better than those wooden dowels.

Set up a treat cup and any time you walk by the cage, drop the treat into the cup. He does not need to take the treat directly from you. Doing it in this way teaches him to look forward to your presence. My own ARN always looks when I drop something in her dish! I haven't really done much training with my ARN since finding out she's wild caught... but I also have Merlin, a GCC. He actually looks forward to interacting with me to the point that he's trying to open up the food doors on his cage (which I don't use...). He was extremely scared when I picked him up and would cower in the back of his cage with his previous owner. His previous owner was *NOT* a bad person, but she did not know how to work with him. She did great with him otherwise! He just needed someone who knew how to 'listen' to him and work with him in a manner that he was okay with. It probably helps that he *loves* food! (so does the ARN! ;) )

Target training can also be beneficial!

TamerofConures

Moving in
Real Name
Emily
Good advice from the others here. My GCC was completely untamed and had never really been handled by humans when I got her, and she would panic and scream and fly around her cage whenever I came near. I kept calm and quiet and essentially ignored her every time I passed by to show her I wasn’t a threat, and eventually she stayed calm when I started opening the cage door and just sitting in front of it. Eventually I started holding out branches of millet seed with my hand in her cage and would just sit silently for thirty minutes or so every day. After the first week she approached and took a bite from me, after the second, I could hold a cluster of millet between my fingers instead of offering it from the stem, and by week three she stepped up on me for the first time. That was two years ago, and as my avatar attests, she’s a massive snuggle bum now. There’s really no magic in bird taming, you just need a lot of time, patience, consistency and reward. Good luck!

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge

Kokako

Meeting neighbors
You could also share short snacks yourself (with no saliva sharing, say a bowl of apple slices) - as your bird grows to trust you more eating the same or similar stuff at the same time is a major bonding exercise for both trust and for feeling like a flock. Flocks eat, sleep, bathe and frequently preen together when they are small, so it will be a bit of familiarity. And, as you are focussed on your food instead of him (sitting quietly with a dish, sneaking rare glances which can increase with his comfort) you can be a bit more theatrical in your appreciation with “mmm!” sounds and turning the food over in your hands, demonstrating playing with food as fun as well as that the food is safe and tasty. I’d stick to obvious hits for now, and foods that he can see your other bird really enjoying, but later on you will have a great grounding for widening his diet if that is something you decide to do. Playing with leafy greens can be surprisingly fun, just embrace your inner toddler XD