• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

How do I tame a lovebird?

Garet

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Garet
@Duel

Feathered Food Court | Avian Avenue Parrot Forum

The feathered food court is where it's at. As long as your bird is fully weaned, most of this should be just fine. The only caveat is that baby birds sometimes need their pellets soaked in either water or unsweetened apple juice and seem to also enjoy warm mushy fruit and veggies more than chunks, but it's important to offer both.

Leih

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leih Pearson
I'm a new parent to a lovebird about the same age .She would freak if opened the cage or stuck my hand in to change her food etc, but what seems to have gotten her over that pretty quickly is i would sit by her cage and read to her. We read biology together! Now we're working on getting her to come out of the cage, she was doing fine until I got her a new cage which apparently is so awesome she'd rather stay in it. She's gained a lot of trust in two months, which sounds eternal, but patience wins. She isn't food motivated so I'm trying to get into letting her food run out and then having her work to get it, but it makes me feel weird, even though I'd never let her starve by any means!

Edit-she was born in May, I have no idea what month it is apparently

Last edited:

Duel

Walking the driveway
I'm a new parent to a lovebird about the same age .She would freak if opened the cage or stuck my hand in to change her food etc, but what seems to have gotten her over that pretty quickly is i would sit by her cage and read to her. We read biology together! Now we're working on getting her to come out of the cage, she was doing fine until I got her a new cage which apparently is so awesome she'd rather stay in it. She's gained a lot of trust in two months, which sounds eternal, but patience wins. She isn't food motivated so I'm trying to get into letting her food run out and then having her work to get it, but it makes me feel weird, even though I'd never let her starve by any means!

Edit-she was born in May, I have no idea what month it is apparently
(keep in mind my bird has his wings clipped for what I'm about to say)Well I got some progress done with mine recently. I leave the cage door open for him and wait for him to climb out on his own, (can take up to an hour for him to decide to come out) then I would have one finger approach him from the front and the other hand block him from running away and begin to pet his beak. He tried to bite a few times but I slowly move my finger back a bit and have it pet his beak over and over till he's calmed down and slowly have my hand from behind back off and he doesn't try to run away! After doing that a few times I put my finger in front of his feet and he just looked at and stepped on. I got his step up training done with YES! Now when he's out and I want him to step up I just have my finger approach his feet. He tries to back off but not run and when my finger is finally at his feet he steps on without a problem. The only progress I need now is to have him be okay with me petting his head and have him calm down when my hand is in his cage for any reason then I can start on teaching tricks. Thanks for the advice and I give you mine

Lelushio

Meeting neighbors
The cage is supposed to be a birds safe space, so if you stick your hand in their, which she doesn’t yet trust, she’ll feel her safe place has been violated and will despise your hand even more. See if ur bird will come out on her own and then pick her up with your sleeves. My bird was born around the same time as yours, except a year earlier and I want to say one thing. Since she’ll still be growing in the winter time, keep her extra warm, and avoid putting her by an outdoor door. We did that with Lily and my sister always opened the door to go to school and Lily got sick from that. I know it’s rly important to have veggies and fruits in the diet, but some birds just won’t eat them. Trust me, I’ve tried with Lily and the most she’ll do is eat pomegranate seeds (lovebirds love them), nibble apple slices, eat a bit of homemade smoothies, and a bit of scrambled eggs with little to no salt, and she loves nuts. So I recommend you try supplements instead. They work great for Lily, and a good powder brand is prime. It smells good and tastes like exotic fruits (well I don’t know the taste part but that’s what their website says) and they have NO added sugar. It’s a complete balance and has a good measuring spoon and instructions on it. Lovebirds will need half of the spoon. As for the biting, keep using your sleeves for now and when she’s comfortable/about to nap show your hand so she understands it means no harm. Give her toys and treats out of your hand so she thinks if your hand as a good thing. Good luck with your little lovey!!

Lelushio

Meeting neighbors
Oh sry I didn’t read ur recent comment. It’s great with the progress you’ve made. I swear me and Lily were practically the exact same lol. When you pet his beak try slowly moving up to his head and if he nibbles say no and try it again. If you manage to touch his head then applaud him and give him a Cheerios another treat. Lily loves Cheerios and will do anything for one. As for tricks, step up is the first one and I would use a pen instead of a clicker as a clicker can be a bit costly. Say step up and stick ur finger out in front of her chest and when she does say good boy and click the pen. Then give him a seed or other treat and he’ll eventually associate the clicker with the treat. To test if he has, click the clicker, and see if he is expecting a treat. If so, then u can slowly wean off the treats. Then u can use the clicker to train him to let you touch his head and get him to trust your hands more.

Good luck!!!

Duel

Walking the driveway
Oh sry I didn’t read ur recent comment. It’s great with the progress you’ve made. I swear me and Lily were practically the exact same lol. When you pet his beak try slowly moving up to his head and if he nibbles say no and try it again. If you manage to touch his head then applaud him and give him a Cheerios another treat. Lily loves Cheerios and will do anything for one. As for tricks, step up is the first one and I would use a pen instead of a clicker as a clicker can be a bit costly. Say step up and stick ur finger out in front of her chest and when she does say good boy and click the pen. Then give him a seed or other treat and he’ll eventually associate the clicker with the treat. To test if he has, click the clicker, and see if he is expecting a treat. If so, then u can slowly wean off the treats. Then u can use the clicker to train him to let you touch his head and get him to trust your hands more.

Good luck!!!
Well he practically has stepping up down without needing a clicker or treats and when I try to move up from the beak to his head he just leans his head back or moves it out of the way but doesn't bite. One problem I do have with him is that when he's on my shoulder he moves to my ear and starts biting my earlobe. I'm a guy and I don't wear earings yet what I can find online suggests its if I'm wearing earings.