• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

How do I keep my conures quiet in the mornings?

Aphios

Meeting neighbors
Hello All,

I have two conures, a sun and green cheek, both over a year old. They have been re-homed twice and we are trying to make this home their forever home. I love them both dearly but since we have had them we have had one problem. Both of them, but especially the sun conure, like to loudly vocalize early each morning. We live in a small house and thus keeping the in a spot where they cannot be heard or where they will be more quiet is hard. Does anyone have suggestions of what I can do to remedy this?

Thank you!

Skyler

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pat
Good luck. Ever since I acquired a quaker , my jealous sun yells most of the whole day. It's like dealing with a loud extremely vocal teenager- :( " Mom make him stop looking at me"!!!!

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
You have to get up "early" every morning just like they do. Birds rise with the sun. If you're a law abiding member of the flock you do too. If not you get really good ear plugs. :)

rockybird

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
You might try night cages. Be sure to provide water and make sure they are not covered to the extent that they become hot and stuffy. My birds seem to really like their night cages. They seem to feel safe in them. It breaks up the monotony of the day cage also.

I have my parrots on my schedule using night cages. They go to bed when I do and get up when I do. One conure is quiet as long as she can see me from her night cage, so all sides but the side facing the bed is covered. She gets food and water, as she eats while I read in bed. She also has some quiet toys (I had to remove the loud ones).

My caique is a very demanding boy. He sleeps in a small cage with water, a perch, a couple cuddle toys, and a happy hut. His cage is covered so it is dark and it is in a hallway between the master bedroom and ma. bath. He usually sleeps 8-9 hours and will let me know when he is ready to get up. This is usually after 7 AM, which works for me.

Having them sleep in night cages makes a huge difference for me as they are quiet for at least 8 hours once they are in bed. Neither bird goes potty in the night cage, so I take them to the toilet first thing in the AM (and hold them over).

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
You might try night cages. Be sure to provide water and make sure they are not covered to the extent that they become hot and stuffy. My birds seem to really like their night cages. They seem to feel safe in them. It breaks up the monotony of the day cage also.
I have my parrots on my schedule using night cages. They go to bed when I do and get up when I do. One conure is quiet as long as she can see me from her night cage, so all sides but the side facing the bed is covered. She gets food and water, as she eats while I read in bed. She also has some quiet toys (I had to remove the loud ones).

My caique is a very demanding boy. He sleeps in a small cage with water, a perch, a couple cuddle toys, and a happy hut. His cage is covered so it is dark and it is in a hallway between the master bedroom and ma. bath. He usually sleeps 8-9 hours and will let me know when he is ready to get up. This is usually after 7 AM, which works for me.

Having them sleep in night cages makes a huge difference for me as they are quiet for at least 8 hours once they are in bed. Neither bird goes potty in the night cage, so I take them to the toilet first thing in the AM (and hold them over).

Or that. :)

I do that too. The trouble with a cockatoo's very accurate clock is they know when 6am is and the alarm goes off whether its pitch black or beaming sunshine. Almost to the minute. I'm pretty sure all parrots are the same when it comes to that.

Aphios

Meeting neighbors
Thanks for your replies! Rockybird, can you send me a link to a good night cage?

rockybird

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
My birds stay quiet for 8-9 hours, sometimes more. If I put them to bed late, they will wake up late with me. But they are smaller birds than cockatoos (maroon belly conure and caique). I also make a point of getting them out to have breakfast in the kitchen with me. I think this really helps them feel that we are doing things as a flock. My rescue nanday doesnt have a night cage yet, but she stays quiet until she hears me up and about.

Getting your birds adjusted might be a challenge. My two are 12 and 13 yoa and have been in night cages since they were very young, but it sounds like your birds are young also.

I think I started by having their night cages next to the bed with food, water and toys. I would put them in the cage at night where they could see me and feel safe. I would read or surf the internet in bed with the light on, so they felt comfortable with the cage and that we were together. After I turned the light off, I would cover the caique's cage. Eventually, I moved it to a quieter darker area but where he still felt close to me. He is very in tune to me and if I leave the bedroom after he is in his night cage, he will call for me. Rarely, he will call me in the middle of the night and wake me up, I think because he hears a noise or has a bad dream. I tell him everything is okay and he goes back to sleep. I dont mind if he wakes me up because he is scared. I have made the mistake of getting him out and snuggling him. Getting him back into the night cage is a challenge then. He is no fool. The next few nights, he will repeat the mournful cries, hoping I will take him out and snuggle him again. They can be manipulative creatures, so watch out. :)

I have a cheap travel cage for the caique, but I dont know where to buy it. For the conure, I have this cage, but in the 24" smaller version:
Petco Designer White Finch Flight Cage - Finch Flight Bird Cage from petco.com

I also have some of these cages in this size for travel cages in case I ever need one.
This is another great cage, but expensive.
King's Cages - Avian and Pet Bird Cages, Supplies, Food, Toys, Perches, Aviaries, Pluck No More

Be sure to provide water in their night cages. I clean the water dishes every night before I put them to bed. I would give them some dry food and maybe a treat to start off with.

Last edited:

Aphios

Meeting neighbors
Thank you so much! I will look at these and give it a shot with my birds. :sun: :gcc1:

birdle

I too use night cages! I have smaller birds and they're a life saver. Otherwise they get up at a little before 5. I keep mine in the closet cause ourbedroom is small, and so they go to bed a few hours before us as we stay up late and I get them up in the morning around 9.

Gypsy

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Denise
I do not have a conure, but I have a macaw. When he was young, he would be awake with the sun and start screaming. As he got older, it became less. I hope the same applies to other birds. My amazon is not loud until I am up and about as well.