• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

How do I keep my B&G from climbing up to my shoulder?

Status
Not open for further replies.

saraz

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Sara
Rocky, my B&G macaw, was given to me after living with three different people (she's only 8). One of those stories where someone thought it would be neat to own a big bird and then lost interest in it, apparently three times over. Anyways, she was allowed on the previous owner's shoulders and I'm not a huge fan of that. I'd like to keep her where I can see what she's up to. When I ask her to step up off of her enclosure she immediately scampers up my shoulder. How do I keep her from doing this? Thanks everyone in advance for the advice!

Michaelg

Riding the Skies
Avian Angel
Real Name
Michael
Teach Rocky to step up on to your hand and to be able to have her feet held. Many people never work with their birds enough to have them accept having their feet held. You very likely will have to deal with, "foot possiveness" and personal soverignity (ids and egos, etc) issues, which are not "aggression issues", but if you want Rocky to know who's boss, you have to let her learn the answer. It's not a problem for her. Macaws accept the concept once they (pick one of the following words: realize, comprehend, cognizse, get hip to..) it.

1) first thing to work out----step up on to hand (fingers, not back of hand, arm, etc)
2) immediately step down on to stand, or chair back or something like that--preferably not cage top
3) repeat...repeat...repeat...repeat....................................................................................
4) touch toes lightly with thumb--BRIEFLY
5) go back to step 2
6) ...when ready...hold toes longer with thumb...reinforce verbally example:"good rocky" word does not matter as much as way it is said.."woof woof", or something else, should work as well, if said with right attitude and enough joy
7) ...when ready...hold on hand for linger period of time
8) dilemma should be solved if interaction has been adequately worked on!
extra credit----> don't worry, don't panic
Time frame for above....several weeks to several months (can vary) get better over longer time

Holiday

Mac Mama
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Rocky, my B&G macaw, was given to me after living with three different people (she's only 8). One of those stories where someone thought it would be neat to own a big bird and then lost interest in it, apparently three times over. Anyways, she was allowed on the previous owner's shoulders and I'm not a huge fan of that. I'd like to keep her where I can see what she's up to. When I ask her to step up off of her enclosure she immediately scampers up my shoulder. How do I keep her from doing this? Thanks everyone in advance for the advice!
Sara, your bird sounds so much like mine. Very similar situation--8 years old, a rehome given up by people who thought it would be "cool" and then lost interest when she grew up. She was also a shoulder bird. I just blocked her every time she tried it and gave her treats and praise when she stayed on my arm. I also usually hold my upper arm close to my body and keep her on my lower arm for most purposes. She eventually got used to it, and now, she doesn't normally try to get on my shoulder at all. It just takes persistence, patience, and time :hug8: By the way, kudos to you for taking care of her. I'm so glad she has you.

Status
Not open for further replies.