• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

How do I get my lovebird to eat?

AbnormalAvian

Meeting neighbors
I finally got my lovebird yesterday; he's a 7 week old peach faced that I named Levi. He's really sweet, but I guess has been eating millet since he was weaned, because he won't touch anything else. I have Harrison's super fine pellets in his cage right now, and a seed mix in another bowl in his cage. So far all he's eaten was one spray of millet. I've even tried eating some broccoli and mango in front of him to try to convince him it's edible, but he just nibbled at the mango, but didn't eat any. Does any one have any tips on getting him to eat? Even if I could get him onto seeds, it would be better than strictly millet for now....

I (tried to) attach a picture, if anyone wants to see him :3

Attachments

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Are you feeding him the same foods the breeder did? Also, is he making any begging noises, like he's hungry?

@fluffypoptarts ? @Ankou ?

TikiMyn

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
Ask what the breeder fed him, and try mixing the millet with the seed mix, and not offer it separatly. Show him that you put it in his bowl. If he doesn’t eat for a few hours give Him Some millet. Could be that he regressed?
He is one cute lovebird for sure!

fluffypoptarts

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I would find out what he has been eating and try offering that as well as different sizes and types of pellets. Mine wouldn’t eat Harrison’s right off (I had to offer a colored pellet) and they only eat finch-sized pellets - which is the size of the super fine that you’re offering him. Try offering him corn and peas (organic and defrosted frozen if not fresh, nothing canned). They’re not fruit fans and can be very tough customers when it comes to food!

Oh, and you could try Higgins or Volkman’s for seed. If he’ll eat something other than millet, that’s better than nothing.

Last edited:

TikiMyn

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
My boys only like small pellets too, and only the colored ones. They eat that well now, this week I am getting the same ones but uncolored. Work with what he Will eat, and slowly improve on that!

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Maybe try softening the pellets to with some water. They may be too hard for him. Or give him some other soft foods.

AbnormalAvian

Meeting neighbors
Thanks everyone! I called the place where I got him, and they said they also fed him fresh food as well as seeds.

I took Levi's millet out and spent some time trying a few different foods, and eventually he tried some seeds and his pellets. I guess he got too hungry to be picky, but now he's eating his pellets well, and I think he's eating a few seeds.