1. Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

How do I get him to stop?

Discussion in 'Behavior Byway' started by Birbs&Poodles, 7/13/18.

1. Birbs&Poodles

Birbs&Poodles Meeting neighbors

Julia
    My budgie boy Sweetpea is a face biter. I think we are bonded-I talk to him and he shows interest in me. He loves being out of his cage and flying around, and I love having him on my shoulder and talk to him there. But, when he flies to my shoulder, he tries to bite my face! I can ignore cheek bites, but his favorite is my nose and lips, and he bites hard! It is impossible not to react when he bites down on my lip especially.

I'm sure it's not fear-biting, as he freely flies onto my shoulder and happily chatters away. I have tried saying no in a firm voice, or gently blowing on him when he does this, to no avail. I'm not sure if he thinks it's a game! It is a joy to have him perch on me so I don't want to discourage this, just the biting part. What other methods can I try? I am not sure what kind of positive enforcement he is getting out of doing this.

Thanks!

Fergus Mom likes this.
  2. Birbs&Poodles

Julia
    Here he is plotting his next attack!
    IMG_20180708_213752_806.jpg

Fergus Mom likes this.
  3. expressmailtome

expressmailtome Ripping up the road Administrator Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran

Matthew
  4. cassiesdad

cassiesdad Joyriding the Neighborhood Weather Authority Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran I Can't Stop Posting!

Bob Weisman
    He's a real cutie. :)
    You're correct there...it's a game to Sweetpea...and it's extremely difficult to keep him from biting. If you want to keep him coming over and sitting on your shoulder, the only thing I could suggest is to not acknowledge him when he is sitting on you....keep your face turned away from him at all times.

That way, the "games" will not begin, and Sweetpea won't get to the excited state and become overly "playful"...which leads to the biting....just my thinking...

Lodah and Birbs&Poodles like this.
  5. Birbs&Poodles

Julia
    Yes I start out doing that, or just look at him out of the corner of my eye...then he starts talking up a storm, and he's too cute to resist so I turn to him and talk back! Maybe I'll have to knock that off for awhile...

Fergus Mom, cassiesdad and Lodah like this.
  6. cassiesdad

cassiesdad Joyriding the Neighborhood Weather Authority Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran I Can't Stop Posting!

Bob Weisman
    Yes, I can see how that could happen...even budgies know how to manipulate their people...;)

Tiel Feathers and Fergus Mom like this.
  7. Fergus Mom

Fergus Mom Rollerblading along the road

Elly
    He's so pretty! Hard to picture that little angel biting so hard.... ow! It's my fondest wish for one of mine to want to hang with me, but I would not like the face bites, for sure. You mention talking while he's on your shoulder, I wonder if this might spur him into the over-excited play mode? Have you tried playing music while he's on your shoulder? Maybe also distract him with a toy in front of your face?

8. Birbs&Poodles

Julia
    He's very opinionated, he will hop on the door of his cage, pin me with this look and loudly chirp until I open it. Then he zooms around the room then lands on my head or shoulder. I can definitely see excitement in his personality. I've never tried the toy, I will have to do that! He does like shiny things so sometimes I can distract him by wearing a silver necklace.

My other budgie Kiwi never bites me because she never wants to leave her cage! :facepalm:

Fergus Mom and cassiesdad like this.
  9. Shezbug

Shezbug ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW! I Can't Stop Posting!

The pic of him looking so cheeky :heart:

10. Birbs&Poodles

Julia
    He is a cheeky monkey!

Shezbug and Fergus Mom like this.
Tags:

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)