• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

How do I get him to stop?

Birbs&Poodles

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Julia
My budgie boy Sweetpea is a face biter. I think we are bonded-I talk to him and he shows interest in me. He loves being out of his cage and flying around, and I love having him on my shoulder and talk to him there. But, when he flies to my shoulder, he tries to bite my face! I can ignore cheek bites, but his favorite is my nose and lips, and he bites hard! It is impossible not to react when he bites down on my lip especially.

I'm sure it's not fear-biting, as he freely flies onto my shoulder and happily chatters away. I have tried saying no in a firm voice, or gently blowing on him when he does this, to no avail. I'm not sure if he thinks it's a game! It is a joy to have him perch on me so I don't want to discourage this, just the biting part. What other methods can I try? I am not sure what kind of positive enforcement he is getting out of doing this.

Thanks!

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
He's a real cutie. :)
I'm not sure if he thinks it's a game!
You're correct there...it's a game to Sweetpea...and it's extremely difficult to keep him from biting. If you want to keep him coming over and sitting on your shoulder, the only thing I could suggest is to not acknowledge him when he is sitting on you....keep your face turned away from him at all times.

That way, the "games" will not begin, and Sweetpea won't get to the excited state and become overly "playful"...which leads to the biting....just my thinking...

Birbs&Poodles

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Julia
If you want to keep him coming over and sitting on your shoulder, the only thing I could suggest is to not acknowledge him when he is sitting on you....keep your face turned away from him at all times.
Yes I start out doing that, or just look at him out of the corner of my eye...then he starts talking up a storm, and he's too cute to resist so I turn to him and talk back! Maybe I'll have to knock that off for awhile...

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
Yes I start out doing that, or just look at him out of the corner of my eye...then he starts talking up a storm, and he's too cute to resist so I turn to him and talk back!
Yes, I can see how that could happen...even budgies know how to manipulate their people...;)

Fergus Mom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
He's so pretty! Hard to picture that little angel biting so hard.... ow! It's my fondest wish for one of mine to want to hang with me, but I would not like the face bites, for sure. You mention talking while he's on your shoulder, I wonder if this might spur him into the over-excited play mode? Have you tried playing music while he's on your shoulder? Maybe also distract him with a toy in front of your face?

Birbs&Poodles

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Julia
He's so pretty! Hard to picture that little angel biting so hard.... ow! It's my fondest wish for one of mine to want to hang with me, but I would not like the face bites, for sure. You mention talking while he's on your shoulder, I wonder if this might spur him into the over-excited play mode? Have you tried playing music while he's on your shoulder? Maybe also distract him with a toy in front of your face?
He's very opinionated, he will hop on the door of his cage, pin me with this look and loudly chirp until I open it. Then he zooms around the room then lands on my head or shoulder. I can definitely see excitement in his personality. I've never tried the toy, I will have to do that! He does like shiny things so sometimes I can distract him by wearing a silver necklace.

My other budgie Kiwi never bites me because she never wants to leave her cage! :facepalm: