• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

How do I find a Hawkhead parrot?

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
I'm going to try to track down that bird to see if it is still available. I "can" drive down Saturday--but I am not supposed to be sitting for more than 30 minutes yet. If it is still available, I would try.
The ones in Florida are gone and they have no idea of when they may get more. apparently the weather in Florida has impacted clutches. No response from the other lead yet.

Looks like a sweet bird sitting on the shoulder...

CrazyBirdChick

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
Looks like its missing feathers on the legs...
Yes, it is plucked. My thought was the poor thing is probably stressed from traveling constantly and being put on strangers. But who knows, really. Hopefully it's something that can be reversed with a lot of TLC.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
This is so exciting. :angel6:

I feel like I am getting a HH my own self.

That FL guy is not the only breeder who has said their birds aren’t breeding this year, heck I have hardly anyone on nests my own self and I have 10 pairs of Gouldians. I believe Hurricane Irma had a lasting effect on them.

Sweet Louise

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pat
I’ll keep folks posted. Yes, does look like some feathers missing. I think I can deal with most issues unless they put Louise at risk. She is so sweet and I would be devastated if she were attacked. Also, if she is there not a word to my surgeon who would flip out if he knew I was driving 6 hours...:zipped1:

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
I’ll keep folks posted. Yes, does look like some feathers missing. I think I can deal with most issues unless they put Louise at risk. She is so sweet and I would be devastated if she were attacked. Also, if she is there not a word to my surgeon who would flip out if he knew I was driving 6 hours...:zipped1:

The plucking does not seem too bad. Would have to rule out medical reasons. Have to accept it if its its way as it might not stop.

Was the bird around other birds in fairs? How does it do around them? Thats stressful & it could have picked up something...

Just stop every hour or so...Maybe they can fly it? Its not that bad really & is sort of reasonable
esp if you add up 12 hrs of gas!

CrazyBirdChick

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
The plucking does not seem too bad. Would have to rule out medical reasons. Have to accept it if its its way as it might not stop.

Was the bird around other birds in fairs? How does it do around them? Thats stressful & it could have picked up something...

Just stop every hour or so...Maybe they can fly it? Its not that bad really & is sort of reasonable
esp if you add up 12 hrs of gas!

At the fair the Hawkhead was right by all the other birds the two ladies had. They were all on a stand. I think I remember a Cockatoo or two, and a toucan, and an Amazon. Maybe a couple of others. But they were all just hanging out on a stand together with no fighting.

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
I don't think you're talking about a breeder, I think you may be talking about a rescue. There are at least 3 rescues that go to RM. One is run by two ladies and is close to the "ladies" in the gym and the entrance. The other is run by a woman called Donna and Kayaker sometimes works with her.

I know Kayaker has a larger toucan which is not up for adoption but I haven't seen a hawkhead @ RM. Possibly contact Jo's Exotics - Jo's Exotic Birds - Bird Toys, Parrot Toys and Cages, Bird Cages, Hand Fed Baby Birds and Accessories - Kenosha, WI. They don't bring their birds to the fair but I know they breed birds and may be able to help you. They have a store. I'd suggest emailing the guy who runs the fair and ask who the rescues are. There was a vendor (at least a year ago) out of WI who had a hawkhead baby but he only showed up once or twice. I'll see if I can find their card.

CrazyBirdChick

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
Hmmm, the only thing I can say is those two ladies were set up right when you walk in to the bird room, to the left at the end.

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Well hopefully with those leads the party can be found & they still have the HH.
Still you said it was a few months?

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Midwest Shows - Google+

Joliet Bird Fair

Sunday February 25th, 2018

Time: 10AM TO 3PM CENTRAL TIME

Admission: $3.00 & Kids Under 9 FREE

Joliet Knights of Columbus (KC'S Lounge)
100 S 129th Infantry Dr.
Joliet, IL 60436

Unique Vendors With A Variety Of Avian Products Including:

S + S Bird Supplies!! (Pam & Ken Spurbeck)
Higgins Seed & Cook Mixes, Avi-Culture Probiotics, Soak & Sprout Mixes, Stimulating Toys & Toy Parts

Mark Koziel - NEW VENDOR!!
Mark has Conures ready to go!

Midwest Handcrafted Bird Toys (Chance Steele)
A family based business located in Chesterton, Indiana. ALL toys are handmade. The wood is untreated & each piece is cut, hand sanded & dyed with USDA approved food colorings. They use the highest quality natural short fiber sisal, 100% pure cotton rope, tanned leather, 100% cotton fabrics, high impact acrylic beads, plastic chain & closed link steel chain.

Illinois Parrot Rescue (George Hallenback)
Illinois Parrot Rescue Is A Nonprofit Organization. They Assist Owners In Both The Surrender And Adoption Process. The Goal Is To Find Homes For Those Parrots In Their Care, And To Help Spread Education About Keeping Companion Parrots. IPR Will Also Assist Owners Who Are Unable To Keep Their Parrots, With The Surrender Process, And Help Find New, Forever Homes Through The Adoption Process. You Can Contact Them
At parrotrescue@indoorsummits.com.

Parrot Adventure (Mike & Becky Edwards)
These breeders are awesome, and one of the only vendors to have an interactive display. You can hold and play with the birds right at the booth! They even give a 90-day Personality Guarantee! Visit their Facebook page atwww.facebook.com/parrotadventure and then make sure you come see them Sunday in Joliet! They have Cockatiels, Lovebirds, and Green Cheek Conures, Homemade Hardwood Perches & Nest Boxes.

Sweet Wings (Joyce & Alexis Ernst)
Joyce will have Gourmet Food Blends & Specialty Seed Mixes. Contact at sweetwings@sbcglobal.net for further information.

Juan Medina - NEW VENDOR!
Love Birds, Conures, Parakeets, Green Cheeks, Doves, Pigeons, and Cages too!

Laura Neely! - NEW VENDOR RETURN!!
Laura has a wonderful selection of hand raised Lovebirds!

Reptowels (Vicky White)
Custom Embroidered Towels, usually some parakeets as well.

Parrots In Leather (Floss Smith)
Customized Toys For Your Avian Friends!

KC Toys (Kim & Cindy)
Handmade Bird Toys - Feather Friendly - At Affordable Prices! Breeders of Parrotlets, Lovebirds & Linnies.

Beaks & Feathers (Paula Miranda)
Hand Fed Conures (Green Cheeks, Suns, Jendays), Finches (Zebra, Fire Cordon Blue, Gouldian, Green), Lovebirds (Peach-Faced, Fishers), Parakeets, Canaries!!! Also Has Toys, Seed (Song Food, Fruit) Nest Boxes (Regular & L Shaped), Seed Cups, Water Bottles, Bird Play Pens, And A Few Cages!

Jo's Exotics Birds, Ltd (Jo & Rich Cole)
Our Best Cage Dealer! Also Has Stands, Lafeber Products, Happy Huts, Tents, Branches & Other Avian Products!

B & B Birds (Bonnie Gates)
Cockatoos & A Variety Of Parrots & Other Birds

Virginia's Bird Store (Virginia Eriquez)
A Huge Variety Of Bird Food. Seed, Supplies, And Also Sells Some Birds As Well. You'll Find A Little Bit Of Everything At Virginia's Bird Store!!

Distinctive Avian Design (Carla White)
Bird Themed Items, Jewelry Including - Good Necklaces, Handmade Feather Earings & Feather Broaches/Pins/Hairclips. One Of A Kind Ceramic Pendant Stamped Necklaces. Fabric Items Including Bird Themed Clothes Protectors, Aprons, Tablesrunners, Purses, Bags & More. Parrot Felt Ornaments, Species Specific Custom Orders - All Handmade & Designed By Carla!!!

Cosmo Traficante!!
Cosmo will be back to Joliet with his awesome selection of Canaries!

Omar Vasquez
Finches & Canaries including Staffords, Color Breds White & Yellow

...And More!!

The Show Will Also Offer A Variety Of Experienced Breeders Including Sellers Of Conures, Finches, Parakeets, Canaries, Love Birds, Cockatiels, Cockatoos, Parrotlets, And Others.

These Vendors Offer Wholesale Hand Crafted Quality Toys, Bird Seed And Food, Play Stands, Cages, Embroidered Items, As Well As Bird Related Jewelry & Leather Items.

Remember We Will Also Have Representatives From Several Local Clubs And Rescues!!

Make Sure To Come Early To Get The Best Deals! Follow Us On Facebook And Twitter!!

Last edited:

CrazyBirdChick

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
Oh my! I just looked at the date on the pic and it's been a little longer than just a few months. It was taken on July 8, 2017. I'm so sorry I misjudged before I spoke:(.

I really hope it's not too late. I would so love to see that bird go to your loving home

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Oh my! I just looked at the date on the pic and it's been a little longer than just a few months. It was taken on July 8, 2017. I'm so sorry I misjudged before I spoke:(.

I really hope it's not too late. I would so love to see that bird go to your loving home
:(

Thats quite a while... & no fair listing for that date but maybe someone remembers.

Here is July 2017 fair..
Joliet Bird Fair! | event | Joliet

About same vendors

Last edited:

Sweet Louise

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pat
I am continuing to follow leads. The right bird will be found at the right time and have a soft place to land. I am overwhelmed and appreciative of all the help. I plan to spend more time tomorrow following the leads. Thank you all, this is going to happen!

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
Midwest Shows - Google+

Joliet Bird Fair

Sunday February 25th, 2018

Time: 10AM TO 3PM CENTRAL TIME

Admission: $3.00 & Kids Under 9 FREE

Joliet Knights of Columbus (KC'S Lounge)
100 S 129th Infantry Dr.
Joliet, IL 60436

Unique Vendors With A Variety Of Avian Products Including:

S + S Bird Supplies!! (Pam & Ken Spurbeck)
Higgins Seed & Cook Mixes, Avi-Culture Probiotics, Soak & Sprout Mixes, Stimulating Toys & Toy Parts

Mark Koziel - NEW VENDOR!!
Mark has Conures ready to go!

Midwest Handcrafted Bird Toys (Chance Steele)
A family based business located in Chesterton, Indiana. ALL toys are handmade. The wood is untreated & each piece is cut, hand sanded & dyed with USDA approved food colorings. They use the highest quality natural short fiber sisal, 100% pure cotton rope, tanned leather, 100% cotton fabrics, high impact acrylic beads, plastic chain & closed link steel chain.

Illinois Parrot Rescue (George Hallenback)
Illinois Parrot Rescue Is A Nonprofit Organization. They Assist Owners In Both The Surrender And Adoption Process. The Goal Is To Find Homes For Those Parrots In Their Care, And To Help Spread Education About Keeping Companion Parrots. IPR Will Also Assist Owners Who Are Unable To Keep Their Parrots, With The Surrender Process, And Help Find New, Forever Homes Through The Adoption Process. You Can Contact Them
At parrotrescue@indoorsummits.com.

Parrot Adventure (Mike & Becky Edwards)
These breeders are awesome, and one of the only vendors to have an interactive display. You can hold and play with the birds right at the booth! They even give a 90-day Personality Guarantee! Visit their Facebook page atwww.facebook.com/parrotadventure and then make sure you come see them Sunday in Joliet! They have Cockatiels, Lovebirds, and Green Cheek Conures, Homemade Hardwood Perches & Nest Boxes.

Sweet Wings (Joyce & Alexis Ernst)
Joyce will have Gourmet Food Blends & Specialty Seed Mixes. Contact at sweetwings@sbcglobal.net for further information.

Juan Medina - NEW VENDOR!
Love Birds, Conures, Parakeets, Green Cheeks, Doves, Pigeons, and Cages too!

Laura Neely! - NEW VENDOR RETURN!!
Laura has a wonderful selection of hand raised Lovebirds!

Reptowels (Vicky White)
Custom Embroidered Towels, usually some parakeets as well.

Parrots In Leather (Floss Smith)
Customized Toys For Your Avian Friends!

KC Toys (Kim & Cindy)
Handmade Bird Toys - Feather Friendly - At Affordable Prices! Breeders of Parrotlets, Lovebirds & Linnies.

Beaks & Feathers (Paula Miranda)
Hand Fed Conures (Green Cheeks, Suns, Jendays), Finches (Zebra, Fire Cordon Blue, Gouldian, Green), Lovebirds (Peach-Faced, Fishers), Parakeets, Canaries!!! Also Has Toys, Seed (Song Food, Fruit) Nest Boxes (Regular & L Shaped), Seed Cups, Water Bottles, Bird Play Pens, And A Few Cages!

Jo's Exotics Birds, Ltd (Jo & Rich Cole)
Our Best Cage Dealer! Also Has Stands, Lafeber Products, Happy Huts, Tents, Branches & Other Avian Products!

B & B Birds (Bonnie Gates)
Cockatoos & A Variety Of Parrots & Other Birds

Virginia's Bird Store (Virginia Eriquez)
A Huge Variety Of Bird Food. Seed, Supplies, And Also Sells Some Birds As Well. You'll Find A Little Bit Of Everything At Virginia's Bird Store!!

Distinctive Avian Design (Carla White)
Bird Themed Items, Jewelry Including - Good Necklaces, Handmade Feather Earings & Feather Broaches/Pins/Hairclips. One Of A Kind Ceramic Pendant Stamped Necklaces. Fabric Items Including Bird Themed Clothes Protectors, Aprons, Tablesrunners, Purses, Bags & More. Parrot Felt Ornaments, Species Specific Custom Orders - All Handmade & Designed By Carla!!!

Cosmo Traficante!!
Cosmo will be back to Joliet with his awesome selection of Canaries!

Omar Vasquez
Finches & Canaries including Staffords, Color Breds White & Yellow

...And More!!

The Show Will Also Offer A Variety Of Experienced Breeders Including Sellers Of Conures, Finches, Parakeets, Canaries, Love Birds, Cockatiels, Cockatoos, Parrotlets, And Others.

These Vendors Offer Wholesale Hand Crafted Quality Toys, Bird Seed And Food, Play Stands, Cages, Embroidered Items, As Well As Bird Related Jewelry & Leather Items.

Remember We Will Also Have Representatives From Several Local Clubs And Rescues!!

Make Sure To Come Early To Get The Best Deals! Follow Us On Facebook And Twitter!!

Don't mean to be a show-off but I've been to both the RM and Joliet fairs and the photo with the hawkhead was definitely at the gym of the RM Park District where the RM fair is held. I haven't seen very many HHs @ RM.

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Seem like that's Crazybirdchicks photo & she said the bird was on her shoulder at the fair so it seems there was a hawkhead at the July 2017 show that she thought was more recent than it actually was so the bird is likely not available any more but you never know.

May have been trying to rehome it for the owner & the owner still has it waiting for a suitable person to come along.

I too believe sometimes things are for a reason & she'll be led to the bird she is supposed to have.

Last edited: