• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pictures How do I clean and manicure tree branches for perches?

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
You cut down a bunch of wood for perch/stand making. How do you clean and smoothen it?
IMG_5430.jpg IMG_5431.jpg

You get yourself a wire wheel like this and a grinder.
IMG_5432.jpg

It doesn't matter whats on the branches. It comes off lickety split. Stripped and smoothed this branch in about 30 minutes. If there's a blemish on the wood just dig a little deeper in that spot. Takes it right down to clean raw wood.
IMG_5428.jpg IMG_5427.jpg

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Nice stand :cool:

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
New business venture for you. Could estimate how much it cost you to make one and how much they sell for.

So how much could a guy $pillage$ from the crazy bird people for a play stand like this? Vendors?

I've never bought a cage or stand of any kind. I've always made my own or they came with the bird.

itzmered

Welcome to Parrotdise
Super Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chris
Is the bark bad for them? When I made one I just scrubbed it good and left all the bark on

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Is the bark bad for them? When I made one I just scrubbed it good and left all the bark on
I leave the bark on quite often. This is apple tree (bark) so it would have been fine. It's a small bird stand. They don't chew it as much as it's just a landing station. Doesn't "look" as nice. I'm trying to get big bucks for it!!! :D

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Gosh I’ve seen them in the high hundreds! One of the reasons I made mine, and I am by no means a crafty craftsman :)
One the size of mine was listed at $600!

This is just a small tabletop stand. What I've seen (that isn't nearly as good) to compare is $60 -$80.

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
And just think how many people would be bragging about you!

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
Coolest thing ever! Such a great tip and you make some nice stands. Wish they taught this when I took shop!

pcmichelle

Moving in
Real Name
Michelle
So when my husband starts wondering why our apple trees are shrinking I can blame you, right? LOL.

I do have a question though..... I’m surrounded by forest.... are there any trees I should avoid using for perches and stands??

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
So when my husband starts wondering why our apple trees are shrinking I can blame you, right? LOL.

I do have a question though..... I’m surrounded by forest.... are there any trees I should avoid using for perches and stands??
Depends where this forest is and what kind of forest it is. If it’s a tropical forest in the Amazon there’s lot of dangerous things growing. If it’s your average northern hemisphere forest there are very few really dangerous trees. What you will find is that many trees aren’t good for making things simply because the wood doesn’t hold up. Softwoods tend to shrink a lot more than hardwoods which results in more warping cracking splitting. Some just don’t machine well. Trial and error.

Monaco

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kelly Hill
Can I use branches from Hackberry, maple, oak and pine? I also have a fruitless mulberry that needs trimming.

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
I think Oak is a no no.
If you google safe tree wood for parrots, there's detailed lists all over the internet.
I know I've googled it many times while grabbing raw wood for mine to chew up and climb on.

Monaco

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kelly Hill
I see different things all the time. I don't know what to trust. The only one I know is certainly not okay is cherry. I would think the Hackberry and mulberry are a good choice because so many birds use them all year.

Especially the ones woodpeckers and sapsuckers use, right? But I read somewhere not to use maple, but it's also a favorite of all the birds here.

Rain Bow

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I believe there may be an issue w/ red Maple too. I can't remember any longer. I believe my old vet told me about the the maple. I was finding some varied opinions on a few.

I usually use the lists fron this link.

-----

@JLcribber Stand is beautiful as is all your works of birdy art!