• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

How cold is too cold?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Compassion

Ripping up the road
Avian Angel
Real Name
Angela
So I am down in Thousand Oaks in southern California to take my bird to the vet and since he isn't scheduled to go in till tomorrow I took advantage of my brothers day off work and we went shopping.

Anyways we stopped at a pet store and all of the birds were outside and the temperature was 44 out. There was a pair of Eclectus,a conure,some canaries,finches and a couple cockatoos one of which was shivering and sickly looking.

I am wondering what temperature is too cold for the birds? I think 44 is really cold and I am wondering if I could call the Humane Society on these guys? It really ••••ed me off when I said I thought it was too cold for the birds because they were shivering and the owner said they are fine because they have lots of feathers.

It has ruined my entire day because I feel so sad for those poor birds who have no choice,but to be stuck outside in the cold on the side of a busy road.

lotus15

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Coco
Actually, I was surprised to learn that there are tons and tons of hobby and show breeders in the UK who have outdoor (unheated) aviaries for their budgies through the winter-- and it gets COLD there, below freezing and such. I think that for a lot of parrots it's all about what they're used to??? :huh: I think 65 is cold for my guys here but, there are tons of people all over the world who keep their birds outdoors through the winter, so who knows??

iluvsunconure

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Raymond :]
:O What is the bird store called? I'm in So Cal too! :) Sorry to get off topic. :l

Deejo

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Doris
44F for us Canadians is 6C. That is quite chilly!
The thing is with parrots, they do tolerate cold better than they do heat.
However, unless the birds you saw have been acclimated over time to lower temps, then it is wrong to have them outside when it's that cold.
It doesn't take long for a parrot to become dehydrated in cold temperatures, just as people can....especially going from a warm (store) or house, out into the cold.

Compassion

Ripping up the road
Avian Angel
Real Name
Angela
I just read Google reviews about the shop and I guess during summer they leave them out there with no shade too. I will PM the name of the shop,but I don't want to get in trouble for mentioning it on here.

patagonian

Hit the Road
Well, I think the store owner needs to be educated some how!!! But i guess he wouldn't be too open to that based on his previous comments...we keep our house at 66.....my vet said that if the temperature is consistent than 66 degrees is fine....

chad

Deejo

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Doris
Actually, I was surprised to learn that there are tons and tons of hobby and show breeders in the UK who have outdoor (unheated) aviaries for their budgies through the winter-- and it gets COLD there, below freezing and such. I think that for a lot of parrots it's all about what they're used to??? :huh: I think 65 is cold for my guys here but, there are tons of people all over the world who keep their birds outdoors through the winter, so who knows??
Very true! here in western Canada, the weather here on the Island is mild enough that I know several breeder that maintain outdoor aviaries.
One breeder has told me about his macaws that leave the attached enclosed area, and sit out in the aviary with wings open, catching snow flakes! This is the breeder where our YNA came from 14 years ago...gorgeous facility!
We do get freezing weather, but if a flock is acclimated to extreme weather, it seems to work out just fine!

lotus15

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Coco
I just read Google reviews about the shop and I guess during summer they leave them out there with no shade too. I will PM the name of the shop,but I don't want to get in trouble for mentioning it on here.
I think being out in the sun over the summer with no shade is a much bigger problem-- that I would definitely call the Humane Society about, but if they are acclimated to cold weather, the parrots should actually be okay in 44 degrees. If they are sickly or ill looking, however, that's a different story of course.

Jan

Stainless Bird Toys @ Blu's Bird Toys
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Jan
Depends, are they protected from the elements such as can they get under cover and out of the wetness?

My Birds in my Aviaries which consist of Pionus and Amazon and 1 Green Wing, they are inside an aviary but it is not heat and the ycan not get wet from the weather but our temps here get sometimes into the mid teens... in the last week it has been getting like 20 degrees outside. I run no heat, the birds do fine. They always seem happy and all. To me 44 is not that cold for them as long as they can get out of wind, wetness and/or the hot sun.

Some birds can not take the cold as well as other birds, African Greys do not do so well in cold weather - their toes are more easily frost biten.

gritsinct

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Cathy
It is my understanding that birds would do fine with that temperature as long as they are acclimated to it slowly? If he is keeping them indoors sometimes where it is much warmer and then taking them outdoors to a drastically different temperature, then that is very bad (based on what my vet said). If they are outside all of the time and therefore had time to adjust to a lowering temperature, then they should be OK.

I asked my vet a lot of questions about this - being a southern girl living in CT - it feels very cold to me and I was worried about what happens when my power fails (as it's done twice this year already) and he said the above - that basically extreme, rapid temperature changes are very bad.

From what you have said, I would definitely be calling someone. But that's just me. :)

Last edited:

Jan

Stainless Bird Toys @ Blu's Bird Toys
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Jan
It is my understanding that birds would do fine with that temperature as long as they are acclimated to it slowly? If he is keeping them indoors sometimes where it is much warmer and then taking them outdoors to a drastically different temperature, then that is very bad (based on what my vet said). If they are outside all of the time and therefore had time to adjust to a lowering temperature, then they should be OK.

I asked my vet a lot of questions about this - being a southern girl living in CT - it feels very cold to me and I was worried about what happens when my power fails (as it's done twice this year already) and he said the above - that basically extreme, rapid temperature changes are very bad.

From what you have said, I would definitely be calling someone. But that's just me. :)
Oh boy, I have to wonder about weather and such... my outside birds take a huge beating on weather changes being that one day it can be hot out and the next day have snow. Our temps here are very drastic all the time but maybe the birds are use to that... they never get ill from temp changes. During the winter we can have a few days where the days are nice like up to 70 degrees and the night drop to 30ish. Makes ya wonder on how mine do so well with it.

srtiels

Ripping up the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Susanne
I am in S. FL and so far this year we have had the temps. go down in the low 30's for a couple days. I have mousebirds and cockatiels, and they are all outside, and during this time they also has new babies in the nest. Since they are aclimated to the outside they have all done well.

The shop owner knows his birds, and their tolerances, and just because we see something we dislike, or personally would not do does not mean that they are being wrong or cruel to their birds.

Last edited:

clawnz

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Clive
As far as I am told.
And I would not apply this to all birds.
Lyn will not let any indoor bird be rehomed to an outside aviary in winter, as she says they will not have developed the under down to protect them from the cold.
But if they are from outside aviarys then they should do OK down to 10c. As they will of grown the feathers to protect them.
I feel this will vary depending on the type of bird though.

DutchHillAviary

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kevin
my birds just survived 23 degrees just fine, they are protected from the wind and all have boxes to go in. acclimation is the key, as is protection from wet/wind.

CarmieJo

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Carmie
Our vet told us we could take Howard (who is an inside bird) out on the screened in porch as long as it is at least 50F.

Chicklette

Real Name
Courtney
Oh no poor babies. I think it's too cold for them especially if they were shivering and looking sick. It's a bit too chilly for them.

Status
Not open for further replies.