• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Video How Bird Wings Work

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
We all need to know as much about our birds as possible. Here is a great video showing how a bird really flies.

Marvel_ous

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Trinity
Really cool! I'm learning to animate animals, so I watch whatever I can on natural movement.

That is one tame dove. Only looks mildly worried through all that handling.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Thanks for the video. Did not understand much though. Mechanics is not my forte.

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Love it. It's hard to see on smaller birds but the macaws are pretty amazing to watch fly. Wish he would have elaborated about the contour of the feathers and what function each performs. Knowing all these things with a flighted bird is a must. Even for those members that clip their birds it is beneficial.

The manuvers he is referring to is the issue with house birds being able to fly down when an outside escape happens. They have not practiced these flying skills and have trouble making the decent.

I only have one bird, Korbel, that can back fly. Sam is getting close but not yet.

BeanieofJustice

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Steph
Wow! That was a really cool video - thank you for sharing! It's always fun to learn something like this.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
There is supposedly another video by the same guy (did you notice he is at Tambopora) that goopen up es into more advanced flying stuff. I wasn't able to find it real quick.

Once he pointed out how the feathers open up on the upstroke - I thought yeah that makes sense.

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
There is supposedly another video by the same guy (did you notice he is at Tambopora) that goopen up es into more advanced flying stuff. I wasn't able to find it real quick.

Once he pointed out how the feathers open up on the upstroke - I thought yeah that makes sense.

It makes sense that they would open up in long flights. The short flights we have here we see more of the bent elbow flights.

Max83

Walking the driveway
thanks for sharing! looking those Macaws flys is amazing... different birds species have different wings specialized for different purposes, maybe this can be useful too: b6ei6.png