• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

How big is a white capped?

Lwalker

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Lori
Is a white capped pionus much bigger than a green cheek? According to size charts I am finding, they seem about the same but I thought a pi would be much bigger. There is one in my area that needs a home and I have a cage but have to consider my 2 GCCs safety and happiness.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
My good friend has a green cheek. She calls Ernie a chunky monkey. Or chunka munka. At any rate he's not so much bigger as just heavier.

Lwalker

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Lori
I am going to call the person tomorrow to find out more. I believe it is a 4 year old male. Not much more info accept he needs rehomed.

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Their body is bigger and the probably weigh more then a GCC. A WC is the smallest Pi and they weigh 185 - 240 gr.
And if that male never had interacted with other birds before think twice before adding him to your flock. Male Pi can be very hormonal aggressive.

Lwalker

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Lori
Their body is bigger and the probably weigh more then a GCC. A WC is the smallest Pi and they weigh 185 - 240 gr.
And if that male never had interacted with other birds before think twice before adding him to your flock. Male Pi can be very hormonal aggressive.
Thanks for this!

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
True as said they are the smallest Pi but still much bigger tha a GCC.

White caps are supposed to be a bit on the active side as compared to other Pis.

You would have to see him & get more info. Certainly can be a great bird but as Eloy said the males can be hormonally aggressive but in any case you should not expect any new bird to be safe with your birds even other GCC;s can be a problem if left alone unattended.

Still at 2 or 3 X the weight a White cap could be dangerous but it could also be the GCC that willpick on the Pi as they are little instigators & donlt care what size the bird is.

Even a small PI is at least twice to 3 times the wt of a GCC

I'd want to check him out though as they can be great birds but if you think it might mess up your home as it could if you have to supervise & do seperate out times

Lwalker

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Lori
Yes. Cricket and Watson and their happiness/welfare come first.

... It could also be the GCC that will pick on the Pi as they are little instigators & donlt care what size the bird is
Definitely. My GCCs and 120 lb elderly dog are separated...for the dog's safety! He is losing his sight and hearing and I believe the GCCs not only have no fear themselves, but sense fear in others.

Maxsmom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
I have a 5 year old wcp male. I love him. LOVE HIM. Active, playful, very attached to me. Smart.

But wcp males get rehomed often around 3-4 years due to hormonal aggression.

Eloy has it on the money. Broader body stature than gcc.

If kept separate (another room) from other birds they do fine and aggression dissipates with each year. My 5 year old is almost a kitty cat now but he was a terror. Positive reinforcement training helps tremendously with aggression. Plus he stays clipped to prevent him getting anywhere quickly when he is aggressive.

Worth checking the pi out if your have the time and energy to give your birds completely separate out of cage time and housing in a separate room.

Lwalker

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Lori
The posting was up two days and they already found a home for this bird. Hope it is a good one...and a forever home.

VictoryCC124

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Shanna
If kept separate (another room) from other birds they do fine and aggression dissipates with each year. My 5 year old is almost a kitty cat now but he was a terror. Positive reinforcement training helps tremendously with aggression. Plus he stays clipped to prevent him getting anywhere quickly when he is aggressive.
I have a couple questions for you, as I have a 1 year old male WC..
Leo has been aggressive since he arrived. He is fearful-aggressive with me (it's something about women). It is evident he was, in one way or another, abused and/or neglected in ways before coming to us. He is terrified of my hands, but allows my husband to touch him and snuggle him. I'm concerned with it getting worse in the years to come.
He is in the Bird Room with all my other birds, and next to my BH female (but a safe distance away). But he is fearful of her, as she's made it known to him that she doesn't like any other birds (she's made that clear to ALL the other birds). He is cautious of all the other birds as well. Should I move his cage during hormone season, or are you recommending permanently away from other birds??
What do you do for positive reinforcement? My struggle would be seeing anything passive to reinforce, lol.

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Sorry but least you now have time to consider what adding another bird might do to your flock dynamics & both your time.

Sometimes its hard to resist one needing a home but if it makes things harder for your birds & yourself you have the time to think without the pressure.

Perhaps it was not the bird for you & if you decide you are looking for another perhaps that one is waiting in the future.

Maxsmom

Avenue Veteran
I have a couple questions for you, as I have a 1 year old male WC..
Leo has been aggressive since he arrived. He is fearful-aggressive with me (it's something about women). It is evident he was, in one way or another, abused and/or neglected in ways before coming to us. He is terrified of my hands, but allows my husband to touch him and snuggle him. I'm concerned with it getting worse in the years to come.
He is in the Bird Room with all my other birds, and next to my BH female (but a safe distance away). But he is fearful of her, as she's made it known to him that she doesn't like any other birds (she's made that clear to ALL the other birds). He is cautious of all the other birds as well. Should I move his cage during hormone season, or are you recommending permanently away from other birds??
What do you do for positive reinforcement? My struggle would be seeing anything passive to reinforce, lol.
Written Works: Learning and Behavior - BehaviorWorks.com

Training Parrots | Parrot Training DVDS & Books

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...gg_MAo&usg=AFQjCNG7_hF1qYFm_bd08kP7fbcjz2GXdg

Positive reinforcement refers to you not your bird. You can act positively or negatively and reinforce certain behaviour. Read the materials in the above links.

Because he is fearful I would have him in another room and do positive reinforcement exercises. Try target training first. I always said Good Boy in a very enthusiastic voice when I treated Maximus with target training and later he started saying Good Boy to show me he could act properly and deserve a treat...so he was doing things to hear Good Boy.

I truly believe in positive reinforcement. Susan Friedman and Barbara of Good Bird Inc are the gurus. I consulted bird behaviorists and all referred me to Susan's and Barbara's teachings.

Charlie my rescue clearly experienced trauma before coming to me. He will do anything for certain treats. He also will stop screaming and start talking...changing his behaviour because I do not positively reinforce the screaming by reacting in any way. He knows he has to do good behaviour to get me to react.

Target training should get you started.

Last edited:

Begone

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best

Maxsmom

Avenue Veteran
IMO that is the only thing that works with birds. :)
Great post!
Nice feeling to give back to other parrot owners as I have been helped so much.

Can't believe Charlie and I are going on 4 1/2 years. Remember how tough it was at first with him? And remember how tough with Max's aggression against Charlie? So glad I stuck it out and got myself educated on parrot behaviour so 2 more birds will not be going to rescue.....

Thanks everyone! !!

javi

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
JAVI
I just want to add that not all males get hormonally aggressive. My male is over 11 and though I have only had him about 3 years he has never been hormonal. He is sweeter than my girls actually. So while it may be the norm for males to be aggressive, it is not always the case.
And yes the size difference is huge.

Maxsmom

Avenue Veteran
I just want to add that not all males get hormonally aggressive. My male is over 11 and though I have only had him about 3 years he has never been hormonal. He is sweeter than my girls actually. So while it may be the norm for males to be aggressive, it is not always the case.
And yes the size difference is huge.
Hi! I am sure not all get hormonal aggression but note that they get this between 1-3 years old and it wears away by age 8 or so I am told.

My 5 year old is very sweet. Your wcp sounds wonderful. Potentially your baby went through this long before landing wonderfully with you.

javi

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
JAVI
Very possible.