• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

How bad really is a Roudybush only diet?

Status
Not open for further replies.

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Have you ever tried mixing up some of her pellets with apple juice? Will she still eat them if they're moist?
Gosh,I feel so stupid. I never thought of doing that :o:

Coco's Momma

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Robin
I thought juiced veggies/fruit were actually more nutritious... something about the vitamins and whatnot being easier for the body to process?
I believe that the nutrition is easier to digest and absorb; the only downside is that the pulp and fiber is missing. But I do think it will work to get Nala to consider expanding her palate.

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
Yes! She loves Orange and Apple juice. I did wonder if I was to turn most of the fresh food into juice,if that would work. But Iv been told its not as good as her eating the solid pieces.
A liquid diet can be made into a very healthy diet! Opa my young U2, needs to be on a liquid diet. He now gets only 1-3 tablespoons of dry pellets per day and two full crop full of wet veggie/pellet/fruit blend with lots of herbs! He has actually gained weight on this since starting it over a week ago :) The formula I make up is as thick as pudding/applesauce, but still thin and watery enough to carry enough moisture.

itzmered

Welcome to Parrotdise
Super Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chris
Look at the ingredients on the bags of frozen some brands add salt some dont.

love4birds

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Megan
I believe that the nutrition is easier to digest and absorb; the only downside is that the pulp and fiber is missing. But I do think it will work to get Nala to consider expanding her palate.
Ah, I see. Thank you:)

April

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Thank you so very much everyone,Im so glad that I posted. Im ashamed to say,there are so many easy things that might help her that I never thought to do.

Coco's Momma

Real Name
Robin
Ideally, fresh juices should be served within 20 minutes of being made for optimum nutrition. I would suggest making small amounts and you drink some with her. It is very important from a conditioning standpoint to always use the same 'cup' so that she learns that seeing you come with 'that cup' means she's going to get something tasty. She will begin having an automatic reaction to seeing you with that cup. Doesn't matter what time of day it is. Once she has begun drinking apple and carrot juices, you can add whatever vegetables you want (but you may not want to drink it at that point if you start adding crazy things to it!) Birds usually naturally love peppers and greens, so you could add a small amount of parsley or pepper to the juice. The real value is in expanding her idea of what is "food" and what is acceptable. The next step I would try once she has been conditioned to the cup containing something tasty, and she gets lots of sips, is to take carrot and apple, and some grains like cooked rice for example or couscous, and put them through a food processor big time (or use whatever items you would like). This can be stored in the refrigerator for a couple of days. Take a small amount of this goop and slightly thicken the juice.

By the way - you can do the exact same thing by buying a couple of small jars of baby food. And for us working ladies, sometimes baby food is easier. So you could buy some sugar and salt free sweet potatoes and peas, for example, and mix some of that in with her juice. Or, you might find she eats it straight. Just keep working further up the scale, and keep using that same cup to offer her something. ;) I really think you will find that you do make progress. Even if it is just eating very thick, nutritious vegetable juices, that's progress. Go heavy on the vegetables, and light on the apple.

April

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Ideally, fresh juices should be served within 20 minutes of being made for optimum nutrition. I would suggest making small amounts and you drink some with her. It is very important from a conditioning standpoint to always use the same 'cup' so that she learns that seeing you come with 'that cup' means she's going to get something tasty. She will begin having an automatic reaction to seeing you with that cup. Doesn't matter what time of day it is. Once she has begun drinking apple and carrot juices, you can add whatever vegetables you want (but you may not want to drink it at that point if you start adding crazy things to it!) Birds usually naturally love peppers and greens, so you could add a small amount of parsley or pepper to the juice. The real value is in expanding her idea of what is "food" and what is acceptable. The next step I would try once she has been conditioned to the cup containing something tasty, and she gets lots of sips, is to take carrot and apple, and some grains like cooked rice for example or couscous, and put them through a food processor big time (or use whatever items you would like). This can be stored in the refrigerator for a couple of days. Take a small amount of this goop and slightly thicken the juice.

By the way - you can do the exact same thing by buying a couple of small jars of baby food. And for us working ladies, sometimes baby food is easier. So you could buy some sugar and salt free sweet potatoes and peas, for example, and mix some of that in with her juice. Or, you might find she eats it straight. Just keep working further up the scale, and keep using that same cup to offer her something. ;) I really think you will find that you do make progress. Even if it is just eating very thick, nutritious vegetable juices, that's progress. Go heavy on the vegetables, and light on the apple.
Wow,thank you so much for your detailed post. I really appreciate you and everyone else for taking the time to help me. Nala is my baby,and I want so badly for her to have an ideal diet and live as long as possible.

Coco's Momma

Real Name
Robin
April, another thing I was going to add is that the 'cup' I use for this purpose for my birds is really a ramekin. It is large enough for them to see what is in it, but it is not deep and potentially scary. It has a nice amount of space for putting things and works for both big birds and little:

April

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
April, another thing I was going to add is that the 'cup' I use for this purpose for my birds is really a ramekin. It is large enough for them to see what is in it, but it is not deep and potentially scary. It has a nice amount of space for putting things and works for both big birds and little:

I'll take that under advisement. Thank you :)

Poetic Ramblings

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Lee
Kind of a silly question, but is Nala a social eater? Would she be more adventurous with foods if you tried them with her? Or even prepared them with her on your hand or shoulder (if it's not dangerous.)

Also, maybe there's a fruit or veggie she won't usually like that she'll eat prepared another way. For example, Afie will only chew up raw carrots, but she eats cooked ones very carefully. Also, there's some foods she doesn't love, but will eat if she has to forage for it, because it's like a little treat. There's a lot of nice food toys as well, like an artichoke hung upside down in her cage with healthy food stuffed in between the leave-things, or even just a simply kabob.

Sparky and Junior are both very picky eaters, but there's a vegetable mix we make and freeze that they love to eat every day. Also, they'll be more likely to try something if it's in Afie's cage. I don't know what Nala's relationship with Simba is like, but maybe she'd eat in his cage?

I know you've tried a lot, but there's bound to be something out there she likes. I've heard that GCs like bell peppers, and all of our birds LOVE soybeans.

Best of luck! :D

P.S. You are a great parront! :hug8:

Status
Not open for further replies.