• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

How attach hanging things in ceiling ?

Tinabell

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Christina Spence
What’s the best way to attach a orbit or ropes from the ceiling ? Something that doesn’t show too much or damage the ceiling too much. It’s for a red fronted macaw and a double yellow headed amazon.

Yoshi&Raphi

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Raphi
At a hard ware store there’s plastic stick on hooks they leave no damage when you take them off and some can hold a lot of weight.

I used some to make a hanging play gym for Yoshi.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
plastic stick on hooks
But if the macaw and the amazon are swinging on an orb... would it hold? I don´t know if I would trust that.

I think drilling a hole and screwing a hook in with a (taco - I´m sorry I am having mental block and can´t think of the English word) would be the best thing, safety wise. It is only one hole )as long as you get it right the first time :) )

edit, taco = plug, raw plug, wall plug.

I´m sure @Macawnutz will have a better answer :)

Last edited:

Yoshi&Raphi

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Raphi
But if the macaw and the amazon are swinging on an orb... would it hold? I don´t know if I would trust that.

I think drilling a hole and screwing a hook in with a (taco - I´m sorry I am having mental block and can´t think of the English word) would be the best thing, safety wise. It is only one hole )as long as you get it right the first time :) )

edit, taco = plug, raw plug, wall plug.

I´m sure @Macawnutz will have a better answer :)
Oops sorry I skimmed the post and didn’t notice that they we’re macaws and amazons!

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
What’s the best way to attach a orbit or ropes from the ceiling ? Something that doesn’t show too much or damage the ceiling too much. It’s for a red fronted macaw and a double yellow headed amazon.
Well first off what's the ceiling made of? Drywall on framing? T-bar ceiling? You need a weight bearing fastener. If you are screwing into the framing beneath the drywall that is the best solution. With a heavyduty hook you can hang a chair on that. If you are not screwing into real wood then you need a hollow wall fastener like a butterfly clip. Drill a hole. Push the folded fastener through the hole. Opens up to hold. I would not put more than about 10-15 pounds on a hook like that.

For an orbit that is going to be landed on (impact) and swing you better screw that thing into the framing. If its a T bar ceiling they make special clips that hook onto the track. Just be sure to line your hook up with one of the support wires above the tiles/ceiling.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
At a hard ware store there’s plastic stick on hooks they leave no damage when you take them off and some can hold a lot of weight.

I used some to make a hanging play gym for Yoshi.

Check those hooks often. They do/will dry out and eventually fail.

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
@JLcribber I love when you get all construction detailed. Even though my eyes cross.

What do these guys weigh?
Red fronted macaws usually range between 500-550g. Double yellow headed amazon weigh between 400-500g. Those are just the usual weights for the species.

Leih

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leih Pearson
I tried 3m command strips, but my birds are small and the strips didn't hold long.

Tinabell

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Christina Spence
I have a dry wall ceiling and I’ll try to find a wooden joist to screw into. I think they have one every 2 feet on the ceiling ? The weights for my birds are correct.
It’s a big orbit 19” . I’m not sure how heavy it is either until I get it. It’s coming from Canada , Oliver’s Garden. I also bought a extra large hanging climbing net and two 6’ long ropes to climb and play from I’ll hang up too. All from Oliver’s Garden. They have really great rope products they hand make there.

Red fronted macaws usually range between 500-550g. Double yellow headed amazon weigh between 400-500g. Those are just the usual weights for the species.

Last edited: