• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Housing ringnecks with other birds

Mo Amjad

Meeting neighbors
I was wondering can I house my Indian ringneck with a parakeet.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
No.

Do these bird like each other?
You can maybe place the cages nearby and see if they like it - they might not.

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
@Mo Amjad Please consider that you do not have the proper cage size for your IRN. You seem to be in the habit of making duplicate threads. Getting a second bird will not resolve your existing problems. Please take the advise many have given you..Larger cage, Enrichment, and bonding time.

Urgent - Stargazing in parrot? | Page 2 | Avian Avenue Parrot Forum

I am going to add. You clearly want help? This is why you came asking questions. It seems you must have some care for the little IRN. I think it is better to try out some of the ideas people shared. This isn't a place for you to get validation for bad ideas.

Last edited:

taxidermynerd

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
This isn't a place for you to get validation for bad ideas.
I was looking for words to express this and you nailed it on the head. It's clear to me that this person will only hear what they want to. We have offered advice time and time again, but it's not what they want to hear, so they ignore it. It's sad, really.

To the original poster, I am sorry for your birds. They don't deserve this.

Hawk12237

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
I was wondering can I house my Indian ringneck with a parakeet.
I assume your talking about putting them in same cage? A new parrot in another parrots cage? Please tell me your not thinking of doing that!
In another thread you asked for advice, we at AA will bend over backwards to offer you good advice. We care about birds, and will guide those that are new to it every step of the way. We don't mind. We're like a family on here and always welcoming people.
But what we do not like, is those that will turn their ear and not listen to the solid advice given.I
Many members here have decades of experience with parrots. Their advice is golden, make no mistake about that. You may not like the advice at first, but it's the best logical answer at times.
But heade my advice if anything, do not put two new birds in same cage. You will kill one or the other if you do.

tka

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
No. The size difference - and especially the difference in beak size - means that an IRN could injure and even kill a little budgie.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
NO! So you move on to start another thread? I don't think you should get any other bird. Now you are acting like a troll!!

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Guys, this thread was started 3 hours before OP declared in the Urgent - Stargazing in parrot? | Page 2 | Avian Avenue Parrot Forum thread that he was going to purchase a second bird. (I´m not defending his choice, I just want to point it out)

When I wrote my comment I assumed that OP already had the two birds. Knowing now that he does not, I would say getting a second bird is a very bad idea and that it is better to use the money you would have spent on the second bird, on the IRN instead.

@Mo Amjad ; As pointed out in your other thread by most of the members here, your IRN needs a bigger cage, and much more enrichment: foraging, out of cage time, puzzles, healthy diet etc
You must understand, you came to the forum to ask some questions. You have received the same response from all the members who replied. I really hope you take some of the advice on board because your bird is a living being, one of elegance, beauty and intellegence. He deserves to be treated correctly, not cast aside.
What is your plan now moving forward?

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
That's A Big Fat NO!!!!!!!!!
Apparently you seem he11 bent on creating more more problems for yourself. You have a IRN that has psychosis from being in a cage that is too flipping small, not enough attention, lack of enrichment and knowledge on your part.
Every person that has given you solid advise, their knowledge, you have blown off. I feel sorry for your IRN, he is basket case, he deserves BETTER then you for a companion. Bringing another bird into the picture will just compound his problem. Please consider doing yourself a huge favorite, rehome the IRN and before purchasing another bird. Lock yourself in that cage and live in that tiny space for 24/7, see how you like it.

Mo Amjad

Meeting neighbors
First of all I am giving him the attention he needs especially because I'm on summer break from school so you can flipping take that back please. And I am currently looking for a bigger cage while I type this. As for his diet he is getting a vitamin packed diet and daily vegetables/fruits.

Mo Amjad

Meeting neighbors
I was just wondering if you can house ringnecks with parakeets. I wasn't for sure going to house them together. I would've get a bigger cage first.

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
Not taking it back, I spoke the truth. No bird I have ever seen acts like from all the 'attention', you are supposedly giving. It's a lack of attention, enrichment and general care that causes psychosis like that. That is a repetitious behavior. You may choose to do what ever you wish, but you are being given good advise and choosing to create a BIGGER problem. Open your ears and listen instead of being I know all.

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I wasn't for sure going to house them together.
What does this mean Mo?
Are you going to purchase the budgie anyway?

We are advising against it because we care for your IRN. If you introduce another bird, it will be harder to help your first bird and then the second bird will suffer. I hope you understand what we are saying.

Mo Amjad

Meeting neighbors
No but I am going to purchase a bigger cage and more toys.

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
No but I am going to purchase a bigger cage and more toys.
Great. Search for more puzzle/foraging toys and also some with wooden bits to chew and destroy.
Natural branches to work his feet.

I look forward to the update.