• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Housing a B&G Macaw with a lilac crown Amazon?

Sarahmoluccan

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Ok first off let me just say I stumbled across this looking through a real estate site... because... well... I dunno... I'm preparing just in case I win the lottery or something. :D Anyway on to the birds.

So in this really expensive house with lots of expensive things and there's a cage with B&G Macaw and an lilac crown Amazon in it. I'd say it's an average Macaw size cage, maybe a bit bigger, a decent size for one bird. Two seems to be pushing it to me anyway. There's like three cuddle bones and two smallish toys. The whole thing stuck me as weird and sad. I'm really hoping that "home staging" people thought this looked better than two cages with a bunch of toys. But I have my doubts.

I sincerely hope that I'm misreading the situation and to be fair I'm only basing this on photos and a video. And the fact that there's only the cage with the 2 birds and nothing else in the house is bird related. This house has a ton of nice stuff but their cage is so average. Its weird to me.:shrug: If I had the kind of money these people seem to have I'd go crazy with designing the perfect birdroom/aviary.

Anyway the reason why I'm posting this is I want your guys opinion about housing such different species together. I mean different species of macaws or cockatoos together is pretty common. They can get along and even pair bond. But going outside the group seems pretty rare. As anyone here have really odd combination of birds that get along?

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
The rescue I got Bobber from has an Orange Winged amazon and Quaker that are bonded:

Available for Adoption - Hurlin's Parrot Rescue

Chewy the Orange Wing Amazon and Cody the Quaker came into our rescue on 7/3/2015. They are best friends and have been for a number of years. Chewy depends on Cody to preen him, because he is unable to preen himself, and they follow each other everywhere. Cody is Chewy's protector and they can NEVER be separated.

As for the macaw and amazon, I personally wouldn't do that, just because in my experience, the bigger bird does NOT have to be aggressive to inflict harm. Gizmo liked Jingo, but he wanted to preen her when she wasn't in the mood and several years later he still has a mark on his beak from her.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Unfortunately, macaws can be cranky for just about no reason and with a beak pressure of 800 lb/in they can kill almost any bird with little to no effort. That Lilac is in great danger and I hope the cage scene was just staged for the advertisement. Otherwise the Lilac is in great danger.

Jas

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Jasmine
Unfortunately, macaws can be cranky for just about no reason and with a beak pressure of 800 lb/in they can kill almost any bird with little to no effort. That Lilac is in great danger and I hope the cage scene was just staged for the advertisement. Otherwise the Lilac is in great danger.
That is one powerful beak!

Sarahmoluccan

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Yeah I was wondering about that. So many questions with the whole scenario. I wish know more. I don't much about Amazons but being on the forum has opened my eyes how aggressive they can be. You have wonder what happens during the time theyre both hormonal, the are caged together the whole time.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
A GW has the same beak pressure as a Rottweiler has bite power - they are equal destroyers. Consider that a GW can crack a Macadamia nut and a B&G can crack a Brazil nut - no problem.

LSA

Real Name
Leslie
That is one powerful beak!
My parents loved large beaks but not me!

I keep species separated! As well as beak sizes! If it weren't for the punishment factor, the Sun and the GCC would be in separate cages!

Jas

Real Name
Jasmine
A GW has the same beak pressure as a Rottweiler has bite power - they are equal destroyers. Consider that a GW can crack a Macadamia nut and a B&G can crack a Brazil nut - no problem.
Wow....:scared5:

They dont look that powerful until you see them in action.

LSA

Real Name
Leslie
Yeah I was wondering about that. So many questions with the whole scenario. I wish know more. I don't much about Amazons but being on the forum has opened my eyes how aggressive they can be. You have wonder what happens during the time theyre both hormonal, the are caged together the whole time.
ANY bird can be cranky and hormonal!

Jas

Real Name
Jasmine
My parents loved large beaks but not me!

I keep species separated! As well as beak sizes! If it weren't for the punishment factor, the Sun and the GCC would be in separate cages!
Considering macaws can crack nuts, another birds limbs shouldn't be a problem.

The GCCs could do so,e serious damage to a budgie (hence I keep them separate), but the damage a macaw could inflict.... Poor birdies.

LSA

Real Name
Leslie
Yep, my birds tend to have separate cages that are or can be pushed together. That way they can have the safety of being alone or have company if they choose.

RawPasta

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Kelley
Years ago there was a nanday and a blue and gold that were living together. Nothing could keep them apart, and to adopt one, you had to take the other. Same cage.
I had fish that kept some feeder fish as 'pets', didn't eat them, just kept them and let them live in the tank. Any other feeders were eaten. Maybe it's a similar situation? :joyful:

My nanday and hahn's were this way but they were the same size and had a whole room and separate cages if they wanted. In the 9 years they were together, they were always right next to each other.

Dona

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I had fish that kept some feeder fish as 'pets', didn't eat them, just kept them and let them live in the tank. Any other feeders were eaten. Maybe it's a similar situation? :joyful:

I'm laughing out loud at the thought of your fish having pets.

karen256

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Maybe the birds are friends and the owners are in the process of moving and thought it looked better to move the big cage over to the new house?
Just an idea because I'm in a similar situation right now, starting to slowly move furniture and things to the new house on day trips. We're still living at the old house, and the birds are there, but we've moved the big cages and one playgym over. They just have small sleep cages here now (and a big playgym).. Our real estate photos might end up showing birds with 18x18 cages if they come to take photos before we finish moving. But, they are never actually locked in cages during the day, so they really don't mind small cages for a few weeks

Gen120

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Victoria :)
This really bothers me because I have a lilac crowned and they are very gentle and docile species, so if anyone got hurt I'd definitely be the lilac crowned. Is there any way you can offer to take them possibly? Even if you just rehome them, or are they not even for sale?

Sarahmoluccan

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
This really bothers me because I have a lilac crowned and they are very gentle and docile species, so if anyone got hurt I'd definitely be the lilac crowned. Is there any way you can offer to take them possibly? Even if you just rehome them, or are they not even for sale?
I'd love to but I have no idea where to ever begin. I don't think they are for sale. They're not doing anything that I could report them either. Plus I don't know who actually owns them. I'd have to go through the realtor. I hope they'll be ok but unfortunately there's not much I do :(