• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Housebreaking a bird???

Bulldogs&Birds

Meeting neighbors
I am planning on hopefully getting a GCC soon, and I was wondering, how do you “housebreak” a bird? I had a GCC in the past, but that was about ten years ago, so I don’t really remember how I did it. Please help! Thank you in advance!

Brittany0208

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
What do you mean by housebreak?

Brittany0208

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Like how do I teach a bird how to poop on a perch, not me :lol:
Oh! I don't believe there is a solution for that. Maybe once you learn your bird's pattern, you can tell when he/she is going to poop and then hold it over something so it learns not to poop on you.

Bulldogs&Birds

Meeting neighbors
Thanks! I didn’t really think there was a way, I just was curious because I read about how people’s birds make a certain noise or something on here once!

Appolosmom

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Bev
there are videos on housebreaking a bird but you need to read John's post on the subject not a good idea I don't know exactly where it's at but if you can find it it's a real eye opener

lexalayne

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Alexa
It’s not a good idea tho. Some birds will seriously hurt themselves holding their poop. My Umbrella Cockatoo was trained to do this and she will NOT poop on me. Sounds good but it isn’t. I’m always keeping an eye out so I can put her on her stand to go.