• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Hot glue safe to use?

Penny Lane

Meeting neighbors
Today my little tiel decided he likes chewing on his rope perch. He liked it so much he did it for about 3 hours :roflmao: I'm glad he's found something he likes so much, but he's pretty much destroyed it. The rope is holding onto the screw by an actual thread. I'm wondering if it's okay to hot glue it back to the screw part? If not, I have no problem just buying him a new one, but if he makes a habit of this is rather not need to buy them in bulk!

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
I don't think hot glue would be safe to use, because he would probably chew on that too. I would be more concerned that he could be ingesting fibers from the rope, and they might get impacted in his crop or digestive system. Does he swallow the strands, or do you see them laying on the bottom of his cage? You should replace rope perches when they start to get frayed. I like the comfy perches because they are so tightly braided.

Penny Lane

Meeting neighbors
I don't see fibers on the ground, but I don't see them hanging out if his mouth either, and the spot he's chewing on doesn't look frayed as much as it looks "sliced" almost. It looks like of like the original rope WAS glued on and after he started chewing on it, the glue got loose from the plastic screw. I'll buy him a comfy perch to replace it, hopefully it'll last longer and he won't go crazy on it like this one. I bought it for a couple of bucks from the pet store so it could just be cheap construction.