• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Hot glue, Fake fur and Fabric?

LolaS

Checking out the neighborhood
Hello everyone!

I have been wanting to get a bird for a few years and done my research, and I believe now is a good time for me to get a bird. The only thing holding me back is my costume hobby. I make costumes, cosplays, masks, etc... and as awesome as this is, it does mean I use a LOT of hot glue and fake fur especially. I am very worried about how hot glue fumes and fake fur fibers might affect my birds health. I live in a small area and I cant really work on my stuff (for more than a day at least, as projects take several week potentially and I live with someone else so fur scraps and foam everywhere can get a bit intrusive, and there are no other spare rooms) without my bird being close by. For the fibers i considered a close weave net cover for the cage to insure no fibers get in (which i think would work), however I am wary about the hot glue fumes.

Does anyone else work with these materials, and how do you overcome these issues? I know room just for my craft or just for my bird is ideal but its not an option atm, so if there isn't a way to overcome this ill just have to play the waiting game until it is haha.

Thank you all,

Lola

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Welcome to the forum Lola :fairy2:

For the fibers i considered a close weave net cover for the cage to insure no fibers get in (which i think would work)
What about when the bird is out of the cage?

however I am wary about the hot glue fumes.
I would think the fumes are not bird safe. No fumes are. I don´t know 100% about glue fumes though. My money is on bad.

I hope you find the answers :)

PufF

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Sam Chan
Things to note:
Birds have sensitive lungs and can be easily stressed by small particles in the air that they could breathe in and that,is a red flag.It is good for you to cover the cage to prevent them from entering cause a little of those fake fur could be alright but a whole room of it,frick no.
Being a glue-gun handler for 6 years,I can tell you that those fumes are not something you want your birds to mess with at all costs.I still handle them but in separate room that keep them out but in your situation,I don't think that that is possible.
However,as long as you keep a safe distance of around 3m from your birds,they should be fine.Fabric is alright as long as no bird is getting it around her.