• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Hospital unit

DQTimnehs

Ri-DQ-lously crazy 4 TAGs!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jennifer
I wonder why am I doing this?
The Dr hasn't said she is suffering at all.
However, needling her, putting her in O2, getting her loopy on meds, driving back and forth. Only to keep her around. I am doing all this for her, but is this really for her?
Last night she coughed up her food. Just a bit, but still she did that.
I peeked in on them before I went to bed, Lucky had her Wing around Coco, they were sleeping.

She still enjoys life and is happy and has you and Coco. I don't think you are putting her through needless suffering. You will know when it's too much. :hug8:

Lwalker

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Lori
I can't imagine how hard this is for you but when I watch the video of Lucky singing to the radio on the way home and the way she looks at Coco and you, I can't help but think she is still enjoying life in whatever way she can and fighting for it. You are giving her the opportunity to do that. When the pain comes, I think she will let you know.

WendyN

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Wendy
One question to ask is:
Is the pain medication making her "distant" or "lights on...but nobody home"?
Seems like she is still able to engage with activities.

Danita

Ripping up the road
Super Administrator
Chief Beak
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Danita
I can't imagine how hard this is for you but when I watch the video of Lucky singing to the radio on the way home and the way she looks at Coco and you, I can't help but think she is still enjoying life in whatever way she can and fighting for it. You are giving her the opportunity to do that. When the pain comes, I think she will let you know.
She was doped up singing lol

She just had a morphine injection

One question to ask is:
Is the pain medication making her "distant" or "lights on...but nobody home"?
Seems like she is still able to engage with activities.
At the beginning, right after the meds she is like that.
This morning I gave it to her, it is calming her a bit now, but she spit some out.
Injection is a sure way she gets it all, so now I WORRY all day!

Rolanda

Prayers for all of you! This is tearing you apart, obviously. You will know when it's time, Danita. I know it's been said before, but you have made the best choices for the babies in your care and you will continue to do that. I know it's hard, but have the confidence that you will continue to do it.

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
@Danita

I understand what you are going through. I had two older dogs..... I forgot a lasix dose and about had a breakdown because my little fellow had problems breathing a day or so later. I thought I did it.

My little guy made it for months after a near death experience when his temp fell below normal. I chased him through the house with an electric blanket because the vet said, sarcastically (after recommending putting him to sleep), he had to stay warm.

My German shepherd I nursed through parvo. He lived.

Sounds like Lucky is loving life right now. You'll know when it's time. Right now, you need to chill. Drink a glass of wine and love her. She'll feed off your nerves and be edgy. Drink 2 glasses and have a happy mother's day and thanks for loving her.

Life isn't fair but Lucky and Coco are blessed to have you and love in their life now until the end.....whenever it comes. Just cherish the time together.

WendyN

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Wendy
@Danita
You are the love of her life.
Thank you for being her mom.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
It's understandable to be worried but try not to worry about her spitting some of the medication out. When that happened when administering meds, my vet would tell me that at least I got some of it into my bird. Our birds are very smart and some of them will hold the medication in their mouths and once released (even if you hold them for a bit) they will spit some of it out. I've had that happen. It's good that she is home.

Newbie GCC

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Heather
Oh, Danita. I cannot say anything more than others have said. Lucky knows your love and cherishes the care that you have given to her and CoCo. It is a tough, tough time. You will know when. Big hugs for you, Lucky and CoCo!!

Tyrion

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Annette Thompson
They couldn't be in better arms ....they know they are loved and you know they love you ...and they love each other you couldn't ask for a better life for them ...when she is ready you will know ...quality of life is important and it sounds like she still has allot of that :hug8::hug8::hug8::hug8::hug8::hug8:

Danita

Ripping up the road
Super Administrator
Chief Beak
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Danita
Lucky update!!!

I ordered the skookum machine that Wendy posted at the beginning of this thread. It should arrive the end of the week. I got a discount. If any of you would like to order one with the discount, let me know and I will tell you what to say and who to say it to.

Lucky is SO much better, I think I was right, she must have had a little respiratory infection. She seems so much better. She bit my husband today!!! omg first time I ever saw her bite!!!

She has a new baseline, i.e. wheezy when a tiny stressed, when she was sick it was ALL the time. I really thought she was dying :(

Sarahmoluccan

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
I'm glad to hear she's doing better :) I hope machine helps her prolong her life and helps her feel better
:hug8:

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
That's excellent news!!

Newbie GCC

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Heather
Go Lucky!! and Danita's awesome "mother's intuition"!

Tiel Feathers

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Yay! :starshower1:Great update! I hope she continues to show improvements!

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
I guess that's why I'm never willing to give up. I've been there many times with both Hank and Jasper. Don't give up until there is nothing else to try.

Perriewinkle

Yayyyyy Lucky.. yayyy

Your article is circling the bird groups on Facebook.. you have soo much support.

Keep up the amazing work

webchirp

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
Lucky update!!!

I ordered the skookum machine that Wendy posted at the beginning of this thread. It should arrive the end of the week. I got a discount. If any of you would like to order one with the discount, let me know and I will tell you what to say and who to say it to.

Lucky is SO much better, I think I was right, she must have had a little respiratory infection. She seems so much better. She bit my husband today!!! omg first time I ever saw her bite!!!

She has a new baseline, i.e. wheezy when a tiny stressed, when she was sick it was ALL the time. I really thought she was dying :(
:hug8:

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I saw the note on Facebook. You're so blessed to have found a new friend/follower of Lucky. Hope @Macawnutz winds up with one of these machines for the other bird I follow.

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Why did she bite the husband???