• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Horrible! {update on Lulu}

Status
Not open for further replies.

Archiesmom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Natalie
I was able to locate Lulu last night! Thank goodness!
I drove through the neighborhood looking for her, only to get a very suspicious call from the owner.
"We caught Lulu, but we still don't want her. If you don't come and get her tonight, we're selling her on Craigslist for $100". I told them I wasn't paying them anything, we had a contract and she needed to come back to me and I'd waive the surrender fee, but that I wasn't paying anything. He immediately flipped out and wouldn't give her back, stating he wanted his money.

Long story short, I convinced him to drop Lulu off at my house because he had "lined up" another potential adoptive family for Lulu. I later found out he had an ad on Craigslist stating there was a rehoming fee of $100 for her that the lady had responded to! :mad: He also had already had her over to meet Lulu, and she was very confused why she needed to speak with me before she could take Lulu home. I explained to the lady the situation, and I'm going to meet with her tonight. She is the innocent victim, and seems genuinely interested in giving Lulu a loving home despite how she found out about her. What a JERK! I told him 100 times that I wasn't going to collect an adoption fee for her, if he wanted $100, he would need to work it out somewhere else. So he puts my rescue dog on CRAIGSLIST without asking me?!?! :atomic:

And, on a side note...does anyone else find it strange that she was "missing for 4 days" and then when I say that ownership is to resume back to me and he's not getting any money, all of the sudden they "catch her"? I do.

So he brings Lulu to my house and drops her off...and :omg: she is SO SKINNY. I can count every rib and vertebrae on her back and see the indentions from afar through her golden fur! :eek: I understand she has been running and probably not eating for the last couple of days...but surely to be that emaciated, it wouldn't have happened over 4 days? And she is now very fearful of hands, and brooms. I couldn't believe it, if I didn't know better, I would say this wasn't the same dog! Where is my joyful, bouncing golden girl? She remembered me from before and has literally been glued to my side. She is so frightened :(

I'm so mad. I bit my tongue the entire time they were here to drop her off because I was worried they would try to take her back. But now that I have her back in my care, I'm tempted to just keep her and screw the fees for him. He's relinquished ownership, she's not his anymore, and I CLEARLY feel like I have violations on our contract for humane treatment and if that's not subjective, it clearly states that she wasn't to be left to run unattended, which they were doing when they stopped looking for her. She is so GRATEFUL to be with me again, I'm tempted to keep her on for a few months until she's a bit more adjusted, and then work on finding her a home and screw his fees for her that he's demanding :mad: But then I'd feel bad for the lady who has already met her, and fallen in love and wants to adopt her. But I just don't know if I want to put her through that again, CLEARLY the last place was not a good experience for her! :sad1:

I need the voice of reason...what should I do?

Thugluvgrl187

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Miriam
That is horrible that she came back all skinny and afraid of things. Makes me think her adopters were not so nice to her. I feel bad for that lady. Sounds like she really wanted to give her a good home. I have an idea. Why don't you keep her for a month or two and in the meantime she can come visit and let the relationship build between them. If she really wants Lulu she will understand consider all that Lulu has been through recently.

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
I say keep Lulu for a while and let the lady come to visit..explain fully to the lady what has happened...

marian

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I wouldnt adopt her out yet.Is there anyway you could keep her?If not maybe work with her for a couple months and let the lady come by to visit her.I'd hate to see her adopted out again and have to be returned.Sounds like that adoptive family wasn't so nice to poor lulu.

Emmilyy

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Emily
Omg. that actually makes me mad. What selfish - stupid people. Ugh. I can't beleive they would treat a dog like that. Makes you wonder if she even ran away in the first place, or they just wanted their money back so told you she'd run away. Either way i'm VERY happy she's back with you now. I would not be in a rush to adopt her out right now, if i were you i'd want her to stay with me for a little while, until she was %100 again. I'm sure, if the new potential owner is a good one for her - she'll understand.

Archiesmom

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Natalie
I don't think I can keep her for good, but I can argue for her staying on for a few months at least while she recovers :( Poor dear.

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
Why do you owe him fees? He is obligated to the contract, you owe him nothing. Do not pay him anything.

If you do rehome her to this kinder lady who seems to have fallen in love with her, why would you need to use the money for the adoption fee to give back to this guy? I am not sure I understand...

I am glad you have her back in your care. The poor thing. TAKE PICTURES of how she looks right now! And save those pictures, just incase.

You need to be a portfolio of her, from before she left, how healthy she was, and how her behavior was then, to how it is now, and the pictures of now.

BraveheartDogs

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Vicki
I was able to locate Lulu last night! Thank goodness!
I drove through the neighborhood looking for her, only to get a very suspicious call from the owner.
"We caught Lulu, but we still don't want her. If you don't come and get her tonight, we're selling her on Craigslist for $100". I told them I wasn't paying them anything, we had a contract and she needed to come back to me and I'd waive the surrender fee, but that I wasn't paying anything. He immediately flipped out and wouldn't give her back, stating he wanted his money.

Long story short, I convinced him to drop Lulu off at my house because he had "lined up" another potential adoptive family for Lulu. I later found out he had an ad on Craigslist stating there was a rehoming fee of $100 for her that the lady had responded to! :mad: He also had already had her over to meet Lulu, and she was very confused why she needed to speak with me before she could take Lulu home. I explained to the lady the situation, and I'm going to meet with her tonight. She is the innocent victim, and seems genuinely interested in giving Lulu a loving home despite how she found out about her. What a JERK! I told him 100 times that I wasn't going to collect an adoption fee for her, if he wanted $100, he would need to work it out somewhere else. So he puts my rescue dog on CRAIGSLIST without asking me?!?! :atomic:

And, on a side note...does anyone else find it strange that she was "missing for 4 days" and then when I say that ownership is to resume back to me and he's not getting any money, all of the sudden they "catch her"? I do.

So he brings Lulu to my house and drops her off...and :omg: she is SO SKINNY. I can count every rib and vertebrae on her back and see the indentions from afar through her golden fur! :eek: I understand she has been running and probably not eating for the last couple of days...but surely to be that emaciated, it wouldn't have happened over 4 days? And she is now very fearful of hands, and brooms. I couldn't believe it, if I didn't know better, I would say this wasn't the same dog! Where is my joyful, bouncing golden girl? She remembered me from before and has literally been glued to my side. She is so frightened :(

I'm so mad. I bit my tongue the entire time they were here to drop her off because I was worried they would try to take her back. But now that I have her back in my care, I'm tempted to just keep her and screw the fees for him. He's relinquished ownership, she's not his anymore, and I CLEARLY feel like I have violations on our contract for humane treatment and if that's not subjective, it clearly states that she wasn't to be left to run unattended, which they were doing when they stopped looking for her. She is so GRATEFUL to be with me again, I'm tempted to keep her on for a few months until she's a bit more adjusted, and then work on finding her a home and screw his fees for her that he's demanding :mad: But then I'd feel bad for the lady who has already met her, and fallen in love and wants to adopt her. But I just don't know if I want to put her through that again, CLEARLY the last place was not a good experience for her! :sad1:

I need the voice of reason...what should I do?
The important thing is that you got her back. I think that you should keep her, but if you decide to place her just know that she isn't ready for that yet. You need to hold on to her and do some work with the hands/broom issue (desensitization) and get her healthy again. If you can, you should just keep her, I think it was meant to be:) I'm glad she is home:hug8:

Birdasaurus

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Andrea
I agree about having the lady visit Lulu, and I think as long as she doesn't live far away she would be willing and completely understand why if she has a sincere interest in this dog.

birdlover82

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Susan
I'd say to keep her for awhile. Poor girl. I'd probably let the lady know that she needs some special care for a few months and if she's still interested knowing she can't have the dog now let her visit occasionally while you get Lulu back up and going healthy. And do not let this jerk bully you into giving him any money. As long as you have the paperwork to back up your contract I'd think. And as far as you saying you'd give him some fee was it in writing? If not you never said that. Huh? What fee? All you know is he broke the contract and he returned her to you.
Good Luck.:hug8:

mizbirdy

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Tina
TAKE PICTURES of how she looks right now! And save those pictures, just incase.

You need to be a portfolio of her, from before she left, how healthy she was, and how her behavior was then, to how it is now, and the pictures of now.
I agree. Also see if the lady that wants to adopt her would mind waiting until you got her healthy again. If she really cares about Lulu, she'll let you do that.....

NikkiLS

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nicole
I agree with everyone as well. If the woman really has good intentions she will not mind waiting if she changes her mind in the mean time then she couldn't have been very serious about it. Good things take time and it is hard for any animal to adjust after that type of trauma! I would have had all I could do not to hit the people myself as it seems obvious that they were hitting her. Hand shy doesn't just come about without reason.

newf

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
I agree with everyone here. I would keep her until she is settled again, and explain to the lady what had happened. If it was me, I would completely understand and wait. If she doesn't want to wait, then it wasn't meant to be for Lulu.
I am still confused as to why you have to pay this gentleman anything. He didn't follow the contract, he relinquished the dog to your care. I would not pay the man anything. I would type up a notice in detail as to why he violated the contract etc, and explain why you would not be refunding any money to him. Send it certified mail to make sure he gets it, and then leave it at that. I feel like you have fulfilled your obligation to the contract, he definitely has not. What can he do if you don't give him the money? He can't get Lulu back at this point. So what are his options in this case if you don't give him the rehome fee?

atvchick95

Real Name
Kelli
he most certainly broke your contract! that in itself is enough to win in court

no a dog would not be that skinny in just 4 days - they find things to eat -dead animals, peoples trash, Grass, etc

it takes a VERY long time of not feeding a dog for them to look like you are describing

at least a dog of her size! now if she was a smaller dog then maybe but not big dogs it takes them a good while to start showing signs of starving

and why all of a sudden is she scared to a broom and wasn't before? sounds like she's been hit or threatened with it a time or 2!

Make sure you get pictures of the state she is in Right now , Do you have pics of her before he got her? to compare What she looked like when he got her, compared to after he's had her?

as of right now the way it looks and from what you are describing if he even tries to take you to court or You take him - you'll win, he'll lose

and if it were me, I'd never let her out of my site again If you don't have room for you, is it possible to get her a nice chain linked dog run at your parents? so she can be out side and not have access to cars to chase and bite tires

allison

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Allison
That's awful! I wonder if you can report the guy to animal control for cruelty?

bookworm

Jogging around the block
Real Name
thou
A hundred dollars?! For what? You didn't even charge him a rehoming fee for lulu! Man o man! I'm so sorry you have to deal with him! Poor lulu. I'm glad you got her back though.

rocabird

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
dawn
I'm glad Lulu is back safe for her sake. I'd be tempted to call the police station to see if a report was ever filed because it sure sounds fishy.

Status
Not open for further replies.