• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Hormones!!

ampatey919

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Linda
Hi I'm new on here. I rescued a cag last year, we're just past our gotcha day.
I have no idea of Shero's age or sex, I got no history with him/her. I live in Turkey, avian vets are very thin on the ground.
When he came he had been solely fed on peanuts! I weened him off the peanuts and have sourced some pellets and encouraged him to start eating chop. Which he has just now started to enjoy. Phew! But his new diet has got the hormones raging! He's regurgitating for me and making advances! I'm trying to ignore the behaviours and giving him more cage time when he's displaying or being stroppy. Is there anything I can do further to calm him down a bit. He gets his sleep and I've even resorted to closing the curtains before it gets dark outside!! Sorry my post is so long!

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Welcome to Avian Avenue! 1.welcome signs.gif

I can't help you with Shero, but hopefully others will be along to help :)

OrangIsld

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Jackson
Hi I'm new on here. I rescued a cag last year, we're just past our gotcha day.
I have no idea of Shero's age or sex, I got no history with him/her. I live in Turkey, avian vets are very thin on the ground.
When he came he had been solely fed on peanuts! I weened him off the peanuts and have sourced some pellets and encouraged him to start eating chop. Which he has just now started to enjoy. Phew! But his new diet has got the hormones raging! He's regurgitating for me and making advances! I'm trying to ignore the behaviours and giving him more cage time when he's displaying or being stroppy. Is there anything I can do further to calm him down a bit. He gets his sleep and I've even resorted to closing the curtains before it gets dark outside!! Sorry my post is so long!
Remove any nesting items such as shredding toys, etc etc. Encourage more foraging as well, something that will keep them busy for an extended period of time. Make sure you're not touching anything but his head and neck, and increase sleep time though I think you've got that covered. Avoid starchy foods and high fat/calorie foods as well. If the hormonal behaviour is triggered by the diet change then it should either pass when the bird adjusts, or its because of the pellets or chop you're giving them.
If you have any questions about diet and if you need to adjust it, i'd ask @Mizzely

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
If you have any questions about diet and if you need to adjust it,
Worth noting to look closely at calcium intake in the diet. There is something about a Greys diet needs that is different to other parrots of similar size. I am not 100% sure what it is as I don't have experience with this species but I have seen this topic arise many times here on the Avenue.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
It's totally normal for a diet change to trigger hormonal behavior. In the wild, they would be breeding ready when food is most abundant - which is now for your new friend! It should pass :)

Harrison's recently posted on Facebook their research shows Greys have a harder time converting calcium without natural sunlight or UV bulbs.

Screenshot_20230912-092211.png