• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Hormones are out of control right now

CrazyBirdChick

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
It’s good practise. You should towel the little monster so he remembers your not a push over (even tho you are :hug8: ) he’ll be fine and conditioning them to a towel is a good thing.

At first you don’t even have to grab him. Just throw the towel over him and scoop up the whole bundle.
:lol:

Ok! I will do it next time! :)

Thanks guys!!!

Familyof12

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Liz
For me, a thick towel was the answer, blocking the attack and then scooping him up and putting him in his cage for a time-out.
I found this to be the safest for everyone too. I've got it down now the birds just freeze and wait to be picked up. They know the drill.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Toweling is something I hated too but honestly it isn't that bad for either bird or person. I have had to towel Bobber plenty of times for his safety, and I often have to towel both boys to get them into the travel cage. The only time I worry about it now is when they are on the cages and can get a grip. Balance of grabbing and not squishing lol

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Toweling is something I hated too but honestly it isn't that bad for either bird or person. I have had to towel Bobber plenty of times for his safety, and I often have to towel both boys to get them into the travel cage. The only time I worry about it now is when they are on the cages and can get a grip. Balance of grabbing and not squishing lol
Yea. Even grabbing the little buggers without a towel. You get pretty good/quick at just snagging them while they're standing there and using the "cup" to hold them. They get used to that to and after a while they hardly even react.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Yea. Even grabbing the little buggers without a towel. You get pretty good/quick at just snagging them while they're standing there and using the "cup" to hold them. They get used to that to and after a while they hardly even react.

I am not that brave yet lol.

CrazyBirdChick

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
I tried it today but I missed. I didn't get him quick enough. The 2nd time I kind of pinned him down (very very lightly) and before I could scoop him, he flew away to his cage. But at least he realizes now that I'm packing heat. Lol. I hope to get better with practice. Thanks again!!

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I didn't know we had any options? I thought birds just are jerks sometimes and that's the way it is. :lol:

I said COMPLETE jerk :p They will always be jerks :lol:

Fritzgerald16

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Jenelle

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Thanks again, Michelle! Is this the herb salad Discounted Bird Food you were talking about?

I'm afraid I don't think I could cut the lights by 2 hours because he wouldn't have enough time to eat dinner. I'll cut it back by an hour tonight and see if that helps.

I appreciate all the help so far! Thanks everyone!!!
Yes, that's it.

CrazyBirdChick

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
Ok so.. I've been putting him to bed earlier and arming myself with a towel, draped over me like a cape, and yesterday he was a little sweeter.

There were no dive bombings or cage aggression but he did bite me once when, I guess, I didn't scritch him in the exact manner he expected me to.

I tried to catch him in the towel when he bit me but still have not been successful because he flies so efficiently. But he does know I'm trying to catch him and it makes him think. Lol.

Today though, he seems to be acting very nice. He's not fluffy headed at all and he's very relaxed and pretty much back to normal. It's only morning so I may be speaking too soon but I think we might be back to normal again.

Is it possible for fall hormones to only last like a week?

Eta- I forgot to add that I also took away his shelf with the speakers, that he acts aggressive and obsessive over, and replaced it with a cabinet that hides the stereo so that also helps, I think.

Last edited:

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
Ok so.. I've been putting him to bed earlier and arming myself with a towel, draped over me like a cape, and yesterday he was a little sweeter.

There were no dive bombings or cage aggression but he did bite me once when, I guess, I didn't scritch him in the exact manner he expected me to.

I tried to catch him in the towel when he bit me but still have not been successful because he flies so efficiently. But he does know I'm trying to catch him and it makes him think. Lol.

Today though, he seems to be acting very nice. He's not fluffy headed at all and he's very relaxed and pretty much back to normal. It's only morning so I may be speaking too soon but I think we might be back to normal again.

Is it possible for fall hormones to only last like a week?

Eta- I forgot to add that I also took away his shelf with the speakers, that he acts aggressive and obsessive over, and replaced it with a cabinet that hides the stereo so that also helps, I think.
They do get very "attached" to anything that could be a hiding or nesting place.