• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Hormonal quaker

Birdlover42

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Alicia
My Quaker Skittles has become extremely hormonal over the past few weeks. She's definitely more bitey territorial and aggressive! She does a lot of mating activity directed at me and my husband. We are doing some things to try and calm this. Just wondering what anyone else has done with their Quakers during hormonal season???

CrazyBirdChick

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
My boy is a hormonal machine right now and it's been going on for months now! Just this morning I was playing around with him and he got a little too excited and began to puff up any try to mate with my arm. What I did was calmly tell him that I love him but I'm not interested and then I slowly put him down onto his cage. He just continued to do the deed on his perch there and I stayed calm and still and pretended I wasn't paying attention and he finished himself off there. I have it easy now because he already knows his perch feels good and he can do it there. Hopefully your Quaker will discover some kind of inanimate object that works for her too. Cause once they know that, they realize that it's a good alternative to humans

I do the same when he gets too riled up and bites me. I just put him down calmy and gently and he settles down pretty quickly.

He even tried regurgitating for me a few weeks ago and the same method works there too. I just calmly told him that I love him but I'm not interested and then I put him on my knee, away from my face, and then distracted him by talking about something else. Worked like a charm. Just don't be dramatic about the hormones when you react. Good luck!

There are other things you can generally do too like giving them a little more hours of darkness, and lowering the fat and proteins and sugars in the diet. But I'm sure other members can be more specific about that because even though I know I should do that I don't because thankfully I don't have to worry about egg laying.

Birdlover42

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Alicia
Awesome advice crazybirdchick! I've never really known if my girl was female but i think she is because she raises her tail and rubs it on her toys. She has regurgitated a few times and i wasn't sure what that was about. She rubs really hard against me with her beak like she's being affectionate and sweet then suddenly she bites! Today she bit my ear then said Don't bite my ear! Im pretty sure she's smart and knows what she's doing and i need to work on staying calm and putting her down like you said. She definitely loves my husband and goes CRAZY when she's on his shoulder. One day she started rubbing herself against his neck which freaked him out. We give her more darkness at night and put her in the closet where it's dark. Thank you for the advice! Im glad to know im not alone in this!