• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

hormonal behaviour duration

dazz

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
dara
hi all, delighted to be part of a open forum where i can get help and good advice. i have read up alot on hormonal behaviour> i inherited an Amazonian parrot, and she is beautiful; full of character and im lucky to have her. i have her over 8 months, and since feb she has been exhibiting hormonal behaviour and though it has lessened, she always want to rub against me in the mornings and the evening, im not allowed to rub her head...she goes to bite me if i do. now, she is very moody and what works one day will not work the next day for her. i built her a play gym and she hasn't been able to use it yet...she is more comfortable in and on top of her cage. is it normal for hormonal behaviour to last this long(its now july)?? i havent been able to teach her step up.....any advice would be helpful.

Appolosmom

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Bev
welcome you've come to the right place alot good advice from folks who know alot about birds :fairy2:

dazz

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
dara
thanks Appolosmom... i do need help...i want to be good a parent to her...she thinks im her mate at the moment!!!

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
Humm...my parrots (amazon included) have been hormonal going on 10, 15, 20 years now.

Of course it mellows at times, and then flares again. NEVER STOPS! :arghh:

Welcome to AA and the wonderful world of parrots. :laugh:

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia
welcome

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Welcome to the Avenue Dara! :loveshower:

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
hi all, delighted to be part of a open forum where i can get help and good advice. i have read up alot on hormonal behaviour> i inherited an Amazonian parrot, and she is beautiful; full of character and im lucky to have her. i have her over 8 months, and since feb she has been exhibiting hormonal behaviour and though it has lessened, she always want to rub against me in the mornings and the evening, im not allowed to rub her head...she goes to bite me if i do. now, she is very moody and what works one day will not work the next day for her. i built her a play gym and she hasn't been able to use it yet...she is more comfortable in and on top of her cage. is it normal for hormonal behaviour to last this long(its now july)?? i havent been able to teach her step up.....any advice would be helpful.
what you describe is not necessarily "hormones". There's a lot of randy parrots out there. Especially males that are ready to go when opportunity knocks. What's the history on this bird?

Having said that. When a bird comes into a better environment. Better diet. New blood (you). It awakens a lot of things that were dormant in the previous life. When hormones do kick in they're likely to be more intense and possibly longer the first few seasons until things find a balance.

How we handle them can make it worse or better. Some reading for your pleasure.

Site Name - Articles - Behavioral - Sex And The Psittacine

Hormonal Behavior in Pet Birds - Introduction — For The Birds DVM — Avian Vet

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Somewhere between a few days and a few years at a time ;)

It really does vary on the bird, and a myriad of other factors. My Jardine's is about 20 years old and he has tried to mate with my every single day since I brought him home in August!

dazz

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
dara
wow...this is great! delighted to know im not adversely causing the behaviour. thank you all so much. it really eases my mind..

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia

dazz

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
dara
im hoping to build an outdoor avairy for millie, cause shes worth it!! what id like to know, is if i build a lean to extension with poly carbonate galss, are cockatoos likely to fly against it??

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
im hoping to build an outdoor avairy for millie, cause shes worth it!! what id like to know, is if i build a lean to extension with poly carbonate galss, are cockatoos likely to fly against it??
All you need to do is disguise the glass with large stickers or simulated bars with tape or whatever so there is some kind of visual obstacle.

Last edited:

JoJo&Loki

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Kelly
Welcome Dazz! As I’m sure you can already tell, you’ve come to a wonderful place. So many knowledgeable, helpful folks at AA! Glad to have you and Millie! Can’t wait to see pics of her! :welcomeflag:

painesgrey

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Rachel

I have large sliding glass doors in my house that I've had my birds try to fly into. I bought some Acopian Bird Savers and installed them over the windows and it has helped immensely.

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Welcome, and enjoy the site!

dazz

Meeting neighbors