• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Hormonal behavior so young???

Status
Not open for further replies.

poplrhill

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Lisa
For the past few weeks Forrest (15 mo. SIE) has been acting a little too lovey-dovey. He has always liked hanging out wherever I am, but lately it's like he doesn't want me out of his sight, and when I sit down somehwere he flies to me and makes regurgitating motions towards my hands, and/or tries to crawl inside my shirt. The shirt thing is no mystery -- he's imitating our sun conure, who loves "shirt diving" with both me & my hubby. But Forrie only dives into my shirt, and only does the regurge thing to me. He also sometimes tries to push food in my mouth if he's in a situation where it's feasible (e.g. if he's with me when I'm chopping veggies in the kitchen and giving him bits). I don't let him do this, and I try to distract him with doing something else if he starts the regurge head bobs (thankfully nothing ever leaves his beak, he just does that goofy thing with his neck :rolleyes:), and I'm very careful to only pet him on his head and neck. I don't even pet him all that much -- after all, he is an eclectus and most of the time is just not that into scritches.

What is up with this? I thought these guys didn't mature until at least two and more like three years of age?!?!? Isn't 15 months awfully young to be doing this? Is this really hormones or is this just a growth phase or something? I really want him to be as happy and as well-adjusted a bird as possible -- any suggestions for how to handle this?? Anyone been through anything similar with their eclectus? TIA for any advice!

Best,
Lisa

& Kiwi :sun: DNA female
& Forrest :ekkiem:

Laurul Feather Cat

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lois
Bird do not enter puberty BAM! in one fell swoop. Just like us humans, they have an adolescence and their hormone levels fluctuate wildly as they mature; today they act like a child, tomorrow like a vamp, depending on those hormones. Your SIE is feeling her hormones and acting on her feelings. In a day or two she will probably go back to being a youngster. She should cycle back and forth more and more as the hormones are produced and push her body toward maturity.

I see this as a normal variation in behavior, no more.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Bird do not enter puberty BAM! in one fell swoop. Just like us humans, they have an adolescence and their hormone levels fluctuate wildly as they mature; today they act like a child, tomorrow like a vamp, depending on those hormones. Your SIE is feeling her hormones and acting on her feelings. In a day or two she will probably go back to being a youngster. She should cycle back and forth more and more as the hormones are produced and push her body toward maturity.

I see this as a normal variation in behavior, no more.
Parrots also have a tendency to mature faster in our homes and captivity.

Deejo

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Doris
Not unusual at all.
Our male Vos eclectus began the classic "maturing" traits right not too long after he was a year old.
It started with trying to feed me (always ignored that) and by the time he was 2 years old, he
was constantly "having his way" with toys, a slipper, anything.
There are only generalized time frames regarding sexual maturity in birds, and those times vary greatly with captive birds.

poplrhill

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Lisa
Thanks for the responses, guys -- I feel better. It wouldn't have worried me so much except it happened like someone pushed a button -- he went from sweet and kinda goofy kid to Hormone Boy overnight. It didn't really occur to me that the hormonal behavior would ebb & flow as they matured, rather than just steadily increase.

He's been finding his wings these last few weeks, too, so maybe he's just kind of in "explore any and all new feelings" mode. Forrie was allowed to fledge before I got him, but he came to me clipped and I don't think he ever had a chance to get very good at flying -- he could avoid out and out crashes but had poor manouverability and his landings were not things of grace and beauty! Now he's got enough flights in that he has pretty good control, and has been having a blast doing U turns, banking turns, etc. He gets so pleased with himself it just cracks me up!!!! If he lands on a place where he has room to do it, he will swagger up and down when he lands like he's saying "Who flew?? I FLEW!!!! Who's the bird?? I'M THE BIRD!!!! I'm smokin'!!!" OTOH when he lands on my shoulder or head he says "OUCH" -- did I mention he needs his nails trimmed?!?!!
He is such a funny bird!!;)

Best,

Lisa
& Forrest :ekkiem:

& Kiwi, DNA female :sun:

Laurul Feather Cat

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lois
Remember when you were an adolescent? Better yet, remember when your KIDS were adolescents? It is the hormonal ebb and flow that makes adolescents so very off again, on again. I know one thing my Dad was intent on was whether my younger brothers were 'self pleasuring' and how often. We all know adolescents are 'if it feels good, do it' creatures; why would your bird be any different?

The fact our parrots mature quicker then wild parrots is not surprising; they are provided with more reliably available and hopefully better food than in the wild: and that is what a body needs to become mature. When my first tiel, Grace, laid 17 eggs in her first clutch, my vet congratulated me on keeping her in such wonderful condition; she could not have produced so many eggs and remained healthy if I had not had her in such wonderful condition. Dr Stern reminded me the goal of all living beings is to reproduce and I had done a stellar job of getting and keeping Gracie in great physical condition.

Last edited:

jeb

Strolling the yard
In recently looking for information about ekkie hormonal behavior, I believe read that October is a month of higher hormonal activity for ekkies.

jeb

Laurul Feather Cat

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lois
That makes sense. October is early spring in the southern hemisphere. SIs are south pacific birds.

Status
Not open for further replies.