• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Hormonal behavior in my P'let

Jobot

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jo
So, Flynn is going crazy. He is trying to regurgitate for everyone and gets excited and starts regurgitating for random objects. He seems to flip-flop between who his favorite person is. Training is getting difficult to do because he gets so excited that all he can focus on are regurgitating and strutting. I know he loves training, but it gets hard for him to focus.
We only ever scritches him on the head, he doesn't tolerate body touch. We're trying to reduce how much UV light he's getting every day, hopefully that will help him calm down.
He also started barbering again really heavily.
What can we do to help him with this crazy patch in his life?

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Maybe exercises via flight?

Foraging activities?

If less light isn't helping, then do the opposite... more light.

Jobot

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jo
I've been doing stationing training every day, and he always gets a variety of destructible toys and foraging toys every day. He gets a lot of training, at least until he starts biting and trying to feed my hands. :bored: I just can't figure out what he wants.

Calpurnia

Sprinting down the street
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Dom
What about his diet? We used a low-carb/low-fat/low-sugar diet for our ekkie to decrease her hormonal behavior. It isn't an instantaneous solution and we used this mainly because we noticed she became more randy right after we started feeding a warm sweet potato-based mash on a regular basis. But I think it did help keep things from escalating. If you've tried everything else with Flynn maybe it's worth a shot? BTW how many hours of sleep does he get now, and what are you trying to get it to?

Jobot

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jo
I was thinking about his diet, actually. He might have a bit too much fat because of treats, so it may be worth cutting down on those and seeing if he calms down.
I try to get him about 10-12 hours of darkness, but I was trying to see if I could shift his bedtime later so he'doesn't get up later.