• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Hormonal and VERY BITEY GCC!

diitrex

Moving in
Real Name
Emma
Hi everyone!

My GCC is about 1 and a half years old, and as of 3 or 4 weeks ago he started getting... frisky.
Having researched GCC mating behaviors, it has come to my attention that he is absolutely decided that my brother is his mate. Which is A: sorta gross and B: super inconvenient because he has gotten VERY territorial and aggressive. The only person he will let take him out of his cage is my brother, and everyone else that he was usually okay with he bites hard enough to draw blood. I'm not a huge fan of this, as you've all probably guessed.
His diet hasn't changed at all since this happened. Still assorted fruits and veggies in the morning, tropican pellets for the rest of the day. His cage doesn't have any huts or hidey holes. Whenever he bites/tries to bite I always just put him down and walk away. He's just decided he is very angry all the time. Is there any way I can keep him from being bitey? It's really starting to frustrate me, which i know won't help.

Lodah

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Welcome to the site... GCC are by nature "bitey" and you may never fully eliminate that factor, but you can surely minimize that behavior with time... and I DO stress time! For the mean time, avoid the bites by not giving your fid an opportunity to do so! You might try a perch or tbar so as to avoid contact till he settles down! It is also a lot easier to minimize biting if your fid is bonded to you, for you can walk away! He will soon realize that this will minimize his contact with you! Don't be afraid to mimic a noise at the time of biting so he knows why you are putting him down! Again, what works for one... doesn't always work for the other! I'm sure others will chime in to help you along also!

Pilo was extremely bitey at first but now will only touch you if he isn't happy about something your doing, and we stop that action so that a harder bite is not on its way! Learning body language has been a great way for us!

Good luck!

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Have you done any training with him such as target training?