• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Hopper is gone.

Kasuteira

Checking out the neighborhood
Hopper has passed away after being hospitalised at the vet for a week...he was having heavy breathing suddenly a few weeks and I took him straight away to be looked at at the vet. He got baytril injections but it didn't get better, then one day I came home after work and he was gasping so straight away back to the vet to be hospitalised.

I visited him every day the office was open but he didn't improve and died before he got his scheduled X-ray.

I feel so guilty...his necropsy showed that he had a large abdominal cancer. I don't understand how a bird so young could have this happen to him and if I had known I wouldn't have made him suffer at the vet in a crappy little cage. I feel like I did everything wrong, he was only with me a few months.

Now I don't know what to do, I keep breaking down at work (people love to say "It's just a bird" and Snowy my Bourke has been anxious and flighty since he left a week and a half ago. They used to do everything together.

I think she is lonely, we both miss him so much.

Lwalker

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Lori
I am so sorry for your loss; birds hide their illnesses well and I am sure you did all that you could

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
I am so sorry for your loss. fly high and free little one

WendyN

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Wendy
I am very, very sorry for your loss.
:sorrow:

Nikomania

Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Just a bird??? Grrrr. I simply don't understanding peoples lack of empathy. Hopper was an integral part of your life, just as someone's dog is a part of theirs.

My heart goes out to you. I'm so sorry you had to say goodbye to your precious baby. You did everything you could for her, but unfortunately it was her time.
Sending you strength to help heal your broken heart. Hugs to you.

Jenphilly

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jennifer

Hopper has passed away after being hospitalised at the vet for a week...he was having heavy breathing suddenly a few weeks and I took him straight away to be looked at at the vet. He got baytril injections but it didn't get better, then one day I came home after work and he was gasping so straight away back to the vet to be hospitalised.

I visited him every day the office was open but he didn't improve and died before he got his scheduled X-ray.

I feel so guilty...his necropsy showed that he had a large abdominal cancer. I don't understand how a bird so young could have this happen to him and if I had known I wouldn't have made him suffer at the vet in a crappy little cage. I feel like I did everything wrong, he was only with me a few months.

Now I don't know what to do, I keep breaking down at work (people love to say "It's just a bird" and Snowy my Bourke has been anxious and flighty since he left a week and a half ago. They used to do everything together.

I think she is lonely, we both miss him so much.

I am so sorry... but do not feel guilty! It is not always possible to detect cancer masses even with xrays. Cancer can happen in young birds, just like there are the incredibly sad stories of kids with cancer, there is no rhyme or reason.... but please do not feel guilty, focus on the positive, Hopper had the joy and blessing of knowing love and devotion from his flock, so much more then some birds ever get the chance at. You did everything you could and clearly were committed to anything possible to save Hopper, again that is a love all birds would be blessed to know. Hopper will be waiting for you... and we know it was not 'just a bird'.

Hugs to you and Snowy.

Wasabisaurus

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I am sorry for your loss. :( Fly free, Sweet little guy.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I am so sorry. You did everything you could. Don't feel bad about that. I know how hard it is to lose a feathered friend. It leaves a huge hole in your heart. Try to give Snowy extra time and attention. She's going through a hard time too. Fly free Hopper.

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia
i am so sorry for your loss

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
I am so sorry for your loss.

Wings Forever High, Hopper...

Sarahmoluccan

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
I'm so sorry for your loss. :sorrow: I know it can be normal to blame oneself but please don't. You did everything you could. You clearly loved Hopper very much and I'm sure he knew that
:sadhug2:

BlueAbyss

Walking the driveway
My condolences for your loss. :sorrow:

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
I'm so very sorry for your loss. You did the best you could, so please don't beat yourself up. I'm sure Hopper new how much he was loved.
:sadhug2:

Kasuteira

Checking out the neighborhood
He was such a sweet bird, even on his last day he wanted to come out and be held even though he obviously felt awful.

Poor Snowy isn't tame at all and is acting frightened of me and doesn't greet me when I come home anymore. I moved her cage to the lounge so she can at least be able to watch us and be more involved. She was near a window before so she can see outside so I'll set up the security camera to output to a monitor so she can watch that.

She likes to watch birds on the computer so maybe it will help.

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
I am very sorry for your loss.

MommyBird