• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Hoping For A Budgie

Marvel_ous

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Trinity
I owned a budgie in the past that I loved, despite his fear of hands, and I would like to live that experience over again. My parents are a bit on the fence about another bird, but I have enough money saved and enough spare time to where they won't have to do a thing but sign the adoption paperwork. I have a few questions though.

1. I am planning to use Sky's old cage, what all do I need to do to make it safe for a new bird besides cleaning the droppings and food out? Is there anything special I need to use to disinfect it?

2. Are seeds okay, as long as the budgie is getting fruits, veggies, and grains in addition?

3. I have a Chihuahua that is mildly predatory, but she is lazy and pretty much toothless. Any safety precautions needed? My other dog might chase the bird, but he is very well behaved and has a reliable recall.

4. I have researched on parrots for about a year now, and stalked these forums, but is there anything that has helped a lot in taming your bird?

5. I have no choice but to purchase from a pet store, as we have no breeders or rescues within 30 minutes of us, and my parents aren't driving an hour for a little bird. Any tips on finding the right one?
I would prefer a male, as they are generally calmer, how can I tell the gender of little ones?

Thank you for reading this!

hrafn

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
If you're able to, you should invest in some F10SC veterinary disinfectant to clean Sky's old cage out. It's very powerful, kills any lingering baddies, and it's completely safe for our birds! If that's hard to get a hold of, though, you can disinfect the cage with diluted bleach, rinsed very thoroughly and dried in the sun.

My cat is also lazy and almost toothless, but he managed to catch and kill my budgie. If you can keep them separated, ideally in different rooms, that would be best!

It can be a little tough to sex juveniles by appearance, as males have pink/purple ceres and females pink. But if they're older than 4 months, a female will have white/blue ceres.

I can't wait to see pictures of your new baby!

SquawksNibbles

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Kiera
Welcome to AA! :)

My first question is about money. You said you have enough money saved - were you talking about for things like vet bills, too? Emergencies can happen. It is important to set aside an emergency vet fund in case something happens and the bird needs to see a vet ASAP.

In the wild, Budgies eat seeds, vegetables, fruits, grains, etc. Pellets can also be a good addition to their diet. I try to give my birds seeds, pellets, and vegetables each day, with cooked grains also being fed often. I have yet to find a fruit that my Budgies will eat and they’re pretty good eaters when it comes to fresh foods. I know a lot of other people here agree that Budgies tend to not eat fruit much - plus they don’t need all that sugar in fruits.

As for dogs and other ‘predators,’ I would not even trust the calmest, sweetest dog with a bird, especially a little Budgie. I think it’s best that birds and other animals in the house should not interact, even with supervision. Why risk it, you know? :) If I were you, every time you take the bird out of the cage, I would close off the room from all other pets and make sure there are no other dangers in the room either (ceiling fans, mirrors, etc.).

What helps when it comes to taking birds? Patience. Lots and lots of patience. When a bird first comes home he will need plenty of time to adjust to his surroundings and new people. No grabbing, yelling, or forcing the bird to do anything. Your bird will need to learn to trust you and the three examples of what not to do above is not the way to go when trying to build trust. Your bird will need to learn to associate good things with you and your hands. You can occasionally drop treats in the new bird’s food bowl without startling the bird. That is a great next step after giving the bird time to just get used to his new home. You can also just sit by the cage and read out lot in a soft, calm voice. Simple things like that to help your new bird get comfortable with you. Also let everyone in the family know that they need to be patient as well and not do anything to scare the bird.

There may not be any breeders or rescues near you, but have you considered taking in a bird being re-homed by his or her owner? You might find some birds on Craigslist looking for a new home. Just be cautious on places like a Craigslist. If your only option is the pet store then I ask you to please be careful because it’s not uncommon to find a sick bird there. You should be looking for birds that look healthy and alert, clean with no discharge on the nose or any poop stuck on the vent. Just be very careful because once I brought home a Budgie from a pet store and he died just several days after coming home and after showing signs of sickness that I unfortunately didn’t catch soon enough. And it’s recommended that every new bird be checked out by an avian vet when you bring him/her home, regardless of where the bird came from.

As for genders, please keep in mind that the personality of a bird really comes down to the individual bird. My first Budgie was a female and she was very calm and loving. Now one of my current males is more active on the go. He prefers to climb all over you and his cage, rather than sit still on your hand, shoulder, etc. I’ve found both genders to make wonderful companions. But to tell the gender of a young Budgie, you must look at the cere. A young male will have a pink/purple cere that will eventually usually turn a brilliant blue as he matures. Young females usually have whiteish-blue Ceres; it will most likely be light blue with white rings around the nostrils. As she gets older, it may become more white, very light tan, or very light blue. A female in the breeding mood will have a brown, crusty cere. If a male has a brown cere, he may have a medical condition (a male ready to breed will have an even brighter blue cere).

You sound very responsible to be doing your research and saving up money, but Budgies can live up to 10 years or even older with proper care. Will you have the time for the Budgie 5 or even 10 years from now? I know school and other stuff in your life can keep you busy so it’s important to think about all the time you will have to spend with the bird. Hope you stay around and continue doing your research. I would love to see another responsible Budgie owner here. :)

Marvel_ous

Real Name
Trinity
Thank you for the advice! Welp, now I have another site to stalk tirelessly.
Very good point on the dogs. I would probably have to crate Roxy and put Connor outside when I have the little guy out. Or play with him in my about 115 square foot room.

I have a bit of money put aside for vet bills, and I will definitely continue putting some of the money I earn into it. I can afford to spend around 100$ on the initial cost of the bird and supplies, but, again, I won't have to buy a cage. After that I can afford to spend around 10$ monthly on seeds/pellets and toys. (My parents are providing the veggies and pasta, mostly because we already eat those things.)

Sorry to torment you with more questions, but I have just a few more.
To clip or not to clip? Would clipped wings be safer for my bird? I have two irresponsible sisters with habits like leaving doors and toilet seats open. I would rather not clip, but it seems like it would be safer.

I remember Sky got stuck in my hair a lot. Cutting it above shoulder length isn't an option, as it's very thick and would just go POOF. Any tips on preventing a stuck budgie?

Okay, last question. I would like to teach it words and tricks, or, you know, at least try. What has helped your budgies learn? (FYI, I would still love him if he never uttered a peep.)

Thank you all for your help!

taxidermynerd

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
I have a bit of money put aside for vet bills, and I will definitely continue putting some of the money I earn into it. I can afford to spend around 100$ on the initial cost of the bird and supplies, but, again, I won't have to buy a cage. After that I can afford to spend around 10$ monthly on seeds/pellets and toys. (My parents are providing the veggies and pasta, mostly because we already eat those things.)
Personally, I would save up more. And get ready to spend more than 10$ a month. A 2lb bag of pellets alone costs at least 12 dollars here, many toys cost at least 7 dollars, so with that kind of budget your options will be to either buy food or buy a toy. I have a budgie and I spend about 50$ a month on toys/perches, and that's not including food, vet stuff, extra bits and bobs, etc.

To clip or not to clip? Would clipped wings be safer for my bird? I have two irresponsible sisters with habits like leaving doors and toilet seats open. I would rather not clip, but it seems like it would be safer.
Clipping is not safer. I believe it was @Mizzely who's mother-in-law had a cockatiel who was clipped but still flew away. When my budgie was clipped (before I knew any better) he crashed into a wall, fell and we had the rush him to the ER. The vet told us we were lucky he's still alive. Ultimately you need to be vigilant, because you will be responsible for his little life.

The only time I would consider clipping would be if it was for the bird's own safety/safety of those around him and that's the last option. Last resort. Flying has so many benefits to the mind and body, they far outweigh the risks. I suggest you look at this thread- wing clipping do or dont?? | Avian Avenue Parrot Forum
Okay, last question. I would like to teach it words and tricks, or, you know, at least try. What has helped your budgies learn? (FYI, I would still love him if he never uttered a peep.)
I think repetition is important. My budgie knows the whistle we use to call the dog inside, now he mimics that (I think he wants to see the dog!). But he was here for almost 2 years before he picked that up. I think I also heard him mimic our squeaky fridge door once.

Really it's all kind of dependent on the individual.
1. I am planning to use Sky's old cage, what all do I need to do to make it safe for a new bird besides cleaning the droppings and food out? Is there anything special I need to use to disinfect it?
I'd get some f10 (you can buy it on amazon) and wipe that sucker down good. Make sure it's totally cleaned out.
2. Are seeds okay, as long as the budgie is getting fruits, veggies, and grains in addition?
Seeds can be part of a healthy diet, just in moderation. A lot of people feed 50-50 seeds and pellets, because too much of either can be bad. Veggies are great, if you can get yours to touch them. Fruits can be a good snack, just not too much because of the sugar.
3. I have a Chihuahua that is mildly predatory, but she is lazy and pretty much toothless. Any safety precautions needed? My other dog might chase the bird, but he is very well behaved and has a reliable recall.
I would never let a bird interact with a dog. Birds are prey and dogs are predators, bottom line. My budgie never gets to interact with my dog, because he likes to try and land on her nose and she's ultimately a predator animal. She doesn't have a mean bone in her body and she's never killed anything but I still wouldn't trust them together.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]

Clipping is not safer. I believe it was @Mizzely who's mother-in-law had a cockatiel who was clipped but still flew away.

Yep :( He was REALLY clipped too. Like in the house he dropped like a rock. She went to let the dogs in and he managed to get out the door and the wind carried him; without his flight feathers and lacking any muscle, he couldn't steer or control himself, so he was at the full mercy of where the wind wanted him to go. :( He died.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
I can only repeat the warnings that others have given you about dogs and cats. Another member, just today, reported that her bird had been killed by her cat. Yeah, accidents happen, but that is an error that I don't consider an accident.

Several members who are young, like yourself, have had problems with siblings who didn't respect their bird. If you have your own bedroom, I recommend that you lock your bird in your bedroom any time you aren't there. Don't let them handle the bird ever - it seems that children assume special privileges once they are given an inch.

Marvel_ous

Real Name
Trinity
Thanks again for more advice! It's great to get tips from people that I know care about their birds! Yep, definitely not gonna let the bird and dogs get anywhere near each other.
What I've picked up on:
1. I will be stalking sites that list rehome ads for birds
2. Spend some more time saving up some more money
3. The bird will be fully flighted
4. My youngest sister will NOT be handling the bird, as she is barely past toddler age, my older little sister has very good intentions, but isn't great when bitten, so she probably won't be handling the bird either. I may teach her how to take care of one, though, in terms of letting her help me prepare food and clean the cage. (She is trying to prove to my mom she is ready for another hamster, so she is trying to take on any animal responsibilities she can.)
5. DOGS AND BIRDS DON'T MIX!!
6. Lots of variety in the diet, not too many fruits
7. CLEAN THE OLD CAGE THOROUGHLY!!
8. Probably keep the cage in my bedroom for the bird's safety. I spend a lot of time up there anyways.
Anything I've missed?

Fergus Mom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
Lots of good advice here... I just wanted to say good luck, and let us know and post pics when you get him/her! :heart: