• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Hopefully getting a dove, what about care?

Callista15

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Callista(Cally)
Hopefully I'll be getting a ring neck dove. My mom says I can pick one out if we've managed to finally get all the charity case dog owners to take their pets back. So I've been researching, but I'm not sure where to look for reliable information. So I have a few basic questions. Will a adult become reasonably tame with a year or more of work, or should I buy a handfed baby? Where should I get it from? A breeder, a feed store(we have a good one nearby that cares about their birds) or a hatchery? Is a 5'x5'x5' cage big enough for a dove that is out 6 to 8 hours a day? Do the color mutations have shortened lifespans? Any good websites and books?

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
I know a lady on here who has one..I will alert her to come and answer your questions.

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Hi, I have a ringneck dove, she is a rescue. She was already an adult when I got her, but she was already very tame and sweet. She was being starved to death, and it took a while to get her healthy again. The people I got her from got her at a bird store, but Im sure you could find one, maybe the feed store...but do take the bird directly to a vet to insure its healthy. Either or, a baby, or an adult would work. Just remember, some doves are harder to tame when an adult and set in theyre ways. Mine is a regular ringneck color, shes turning 13 this year. She eats regular bird seed, actually cockatiel mix, loves scrambled eggs, broccoli florets and she gets liquid calcium in her water, as well as tiny chopped up cuttlebone. She sits in my lap, on my head, takes over the clean laundry, the bed, pretty much wherever her little butt likes. Doves are gentle, quiet birds and do ok alone as long as you spend time with them. Chloe even sits with my other birds, and they all get along. She has the run of the house, and sleeps in a small 2 by 3 foot cage. Shes only in the cage while sleeping. If your bird needs to be caged most of the time, then the bigger, the better. Theres anothe member here, who has "Trevor", a dove she raised as a hatchlingg and hopefully she will chime in too with other thoughts and ideas.

Callista15

Real Name
Callista(Cally)
I'm getting a mature male dove, very tame, loves people and is currently being taught to step up. He's standard grayish-slate with tan overtones, and a black "collar". I'm bringing him home tomorrow! Yay! :D

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
He looks like Chloe, males will coo A LOT! Heehee. Is that gonna be his sleeping cage? Place the perch lower, so food and water bowl are more accesable, and cover him at night. Congrats on him and more pics!!!

Callista15

Real Name
Callista(Cally)
Okay. I'll move the perch down. :) I've got a smaller wooden one in front of the food and water, though. He's enjoying munching on a spray of millet and some veggies right now. Apparently his owners were rehoming him because he was fighting with another male dove.

Veggieburger

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Donna
You're soooo lucky! I'm not having any luck finding one... I've tried rescues and nothing .... Including mickaCoo ... I found a breeder online that charges $70 shipping fee and the doves are around $35... I'm thinking that's the route I'm gonna take. I've emailed him to see if they're tamed and no response... Fingers crossed :)