• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Honeymoon over

SeverelySweet

Sprinting down the street
As unfortunate as it is to say, I have yet to meet a Hahns that didn't have "pissed off serial killer" behavior...but, I'm sure there must be some sweet ones out there somewhere.

Recently, I was talking with a friend who has one...I wasn't paying attention to what the featherbaby was up to, and the next thing I knew, she came charging across the cage and bit the hell out of my forearm! Apparently, I was standing too close...or she performed some sort of evil bird sorcery and bent the bars...but how she managed to get her beak through and deliver that bite, is beyond me!

Blood was drawn, and I almost cried like a little girl, lol. What...it hurt!

Appatently, though, this is something that bird is known to do to everybody...I'm convinced they are pure evil in a teeny, tiny form!

Best of luck to you...hopefully, you can correct her behavior before it gets any worse.

mandymmr

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
As unfortunate as it is to say, I have yet to meet a Hahns that didn't have "pissed off serial killer" behavior..
Oh GEE, thanks . You wanted to cry over 1 little one? It happens alot to me

mandymmr

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
So IF she's biting cause she wants me to 'shoo' then instead of me walking away I just turn my back? I don't see that productive or useful. Why wouldn't I show her that her biting me isn't working & I'm not stopping?

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
If you could read a whole lot of former posts on this forum, you would find that many owners have been successful with the turning their backs and ignoring the bird - or even walking out of the room. Keeping at the unacceptable action (to the bird) very likely will cause a bird to fight harder.

mandymmr

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
If you could read a whole lot of former posts on this forum, you would find that many owners have been successful with the turning their backs and ignoring the bird - or even walking out of the room. Keeping at the unacceptable action (to the bird) very likely will cause a bird to fight harder.
But leaving the room MAY BE what shes wanted. See what I'm saying?
I however think she loves me beine around cause what I leave she doesn't like it.

theocnoob

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pablo and George
But leaving the room MAY BE what shes wanted. See what I'm saying?
I however think she loves me beine around cause what I leave she doesn't like it.
I don't think any bird that is even a little bonded to its human wants that human to leave the room. They are flock animals.

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
If you've mentioned how long you've had her, I missed it. It doesn't seem too long though from what I have read.

IMO you are asking too much, too soon.

This bird may be mourning her old home and people. You may think she isn't, but they are all she knew.

She does not know or trust you yet. It takes time.

If she is biting, then no more 'on people' time. It's on cage or perch time. Time to talk and learn each other's likes.

Time to see what scares her, what irritates her, and what she likes.

I have an Amazon that allows petting on his terms. Only before bed, and only for exactly a minute and a half.

I follow his rules, we get along great. I push them, I get bit.

You need to learn this bird, and earn her trust. Be a companion, be a friend first.

Don't worry about holding her for now. You want that biting forgotten! When no more bites happen, she'll forget to get set up to bite.

IMO a good setup is one where she eventually could walk down her cage and on to a chair you're in. One where she makes the first overture towards you.

Think in months. Not day, nor weeks. This is long time work. Trust takes time. Trust takes work.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
The thing is, she willingly does come down to me & has wanted up on me. It's after she's on me does she bite.
That being said...no more ON human time even if she wants to or acts like she wants to!
Of course. Lure them in with cuteness and BAM. Right in the kisser. Number#1 lesson in parrot delinquent school :lol:

Jenphilly

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jennifer

Couple questions that were asked and apologies if I missed the answer...

How long has she been in your home? Did you know her before she came home? Did you know her in her former home and how she interacted with the person / family?

Hahns are not always mean little turds, we've known some wonderful little Hahns at A Helping Wing, but they are macaws...

Your point about if she wants to be left alone, turning your back is giving her what she wants. That is a valid point, turning your back only works with a bird that has a connection with you. My daughter has an evil green turkey bird Amazon, bugger absolutely hates everyone but my daughter. Turning my back and walking away from him has absolutely NO impact, he truly could care less - well except it gives him a target to fly at :) So, if the behavior is aggressive all the time, then this method of dealing with a bite is giving her what she wants. But, you are saying there are times she wants to step up or interact, the question is if she is suckering you in for a bite (live with one of those too), or if she is fine for a while then decides she has had enough and goes for blood? Is the biting pretty immediate or does she happily interact, then goes for the kill?

Any chance you have video of her behavior? There is usually body language or warning signs...

What foods have your tried for the 'ultimate' treat?

mandymmr

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Ok folks, I'm sorry for the delay. I've been "working" with her if that's what one would call it. Here are the knowns
•I hade her approx 2 months now
•She prefers to eat off plates, not a fan of bowls
•She likes musk, honeydew & watermelon now & last night ate a walnut.
•She doesn't play with any of her toys or chew wood, but she loves the cardboard drink carriers from restaurants & those only. Boxes she plays in but get REALLY aggressive, so took them away
•No history give on her past home besides they were HEAVY smokers in/out of the home. she REAKED & her carrier REAKED when I got her & she played with an African Grey
•She likes the red palm oil, but stoped eating pellets
•I do not have a small cage/stand to sit by me. Please send me some suggestions with links if you know any
•She still charges me & only sometimes. It really is hit or miss, as sometimes she's fine (gotta hind fingers behind toys). She has been backing off though when I tell her "saga no, be nice" but she's a sneaky one! (Still working for a video)
•There's been no willing (on my part) skin contact since you all said stop. But shes not wanted to step up either. putting on my fleece jacket (any color) and I am WAY worse position than with skin! Lunging, twisting bites, etc. Terrified of it
•I'M POSITIVE she's biting, lunging & such to get me away! So backing off hasn't been working but has started perhaps going backwards.
•Changing my nail polish, clothes are hard limits for her
•She LOVES peanut butter! Not the Nuts, just peanut butter . So far that's been the closest I've found for a training treat. I spot trained Teal (my macaw) so I know what I'm doing. She could give 2 $-ts about stop training, but will a little with PB
•I get alerted when the dogs bark or want in, when the mail comes, someone knocks on my door, for no reasons, nail polish changes (2DAYS) & clothing changes (calmed down) but she eyes me up & down a few times looking over the endge of her cage. IF she approves we carry on
•they (Hahns) are MOST DEFINITELY MORE and add a few bags of chips than my B&G was. It's like she's on speed, testosterone, & bully medicine all wrapped into 1 compared to my B&G. .
•I've figured our her sounds she perrs when eating something she likes, her irritated growl (this one cracks me up)

All I can think of for now all.
This is her @ her last home. The lady said she was afraid of the phone & that's why she's perched like that...I know have a feeling she was afraid of the lady? Who knows 00m0m_gHwb8G7oejo_600x450.jpg