• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Homemade cage and bird choices for the future.

Donuttb

Sitting on the front steps
Real Name
Aiden
In a couple of years, after college (or whenever my timetable changes for the better, I'm at college 12 hours a day),I am looking to get a pet bird. I am hoping to make a cage for him/ her so it will fit the space I have, problem is I am struggling to find metal "pipes" for the frame, I know there is a word for these pieces, and that I can get joints etc to connect them, but I cant remember what they are called exactly- anyone used these and can remind me? At the moment I have a hand made aviary for my budgies, which is made from wood which is getting destroyed, luckily I can remake to prevent this happening with budgies, however with the larger parrots I'm looking at its pretty obvious they need metal.
This brings me onto my next topic, I have been researching birds for a while and sadly at the moment I can't get one, due to being in college practically all day. I cant seem to choose between a cockatiel, mustache parakeet, indian ringneck or a conure varient. I am aware that they need time- the reason I held back from getting one now, the question is which of these are more independant, will they be ok with me being at work, and how do full time working people maintain a close relationship with their birds?
Thanks in advance :)