• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Homemade Bird Play Area

SquawksNibbles

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Kiera
I want to give my birds more room to play. So I'm thinking of making a good sized PVC play stand, which will offer an area for climbing and just playing with toys! Has anyone got any PVC play stand designs/plans?

I also want to make one of those spherical bird swing/toys:
IMG_2415.JPG
To hang from the ceiling. Has anyone got an idea on how to hang bird toys from the ceiling without drilling holes into it? Thanks!

Shyra

Avenue Spotlight Award
You could maybe make a bracket from wood or find a sturdy plastic wall planter hanger and just hang it from the wall. I know I'm not explaining this well but here's a link to a picture of a wrought iron one. I would make one from wood because you don't want your bird to get metal poisoning from chewing on it but the iron one gives you an idea what I'm talking about. Love the orb you made. A wooden shelf bracket might also work.

www.amazon.com/dp/B00B77T8V2/ref=asc_df_B00B77T8V25253982/?tag=hyprod-20&creative=395033&creativeASIN=B00B77T8V2&linkCode=df0&hvadid=196266503207&hvpos=1o3&hvnetw=g&hvrand=14196028743573494012&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9009158&hvtargid=pla-315184884391

SquawksNibbles

Real Name
Kiera
You could maybe make a bracket from wood or find a sturdy plastic wall planter hanger and just hang it from the wall. I know I'm not explaining this well but here's a link to a picture of a wrought iron one. I would make one from wood because you don't want your bird to get metal poisoning from chewing on it but the iron one gives you an idea what I'm talking about. Love the orb you made. A wooden shelf bracket might also work.

www.amazon.com/dp/B00B77T8V2/ref=asc_df_B00B77T8V25253982/?tag=hyprod-20&creative=395033&creativeASIN=B00B77T8V2&linkCode=df0&hvadid=196266503207&hvpos=1o3&hvnetw=g&hvrand=14196028743573494012&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9009158&hvtargid=pla-315184884391
Thanks for the suggestion. Also, I haven't made the orb swing yet. That was just a picture I found on Google. I just showed the picture so everyone knew what I was talking about.

SquawksNibbles

Real Name
Kiera
Thanks for the suggestions, guys! Does anyone also have any PVC play stand designs? (I might also make some part of the stand wood so it's not just all PVC pipe and so they get different textures and such.)

SquawksNibbles

Real Name
Kiera
Thanks for all the help guys! After looking at each suggestion, I think I'll go with the cage stand DQTimnehs suggested. Though, I might try out the other suggestions for future play areas! Any help with the play stand designs will still be appreciated!

Shyra

Avenue Spotlight Award
Do a search for pvc playstands in the toys and cages forum. There have been a lot of great ones posted that will give you some wonderful ideas. You could also make the stand for the orb you want to make out of pvc. If you want colored pvc verses white you might check out formufit.com. I ordered a lot of different colored connectors from them and it made for a fun looking playstand.

SquawksNibbles

Real Name
Kiera
Do a search for pvc playstands in the toys and cages forum. There have been a lot of great ones posted that will give you some wonderful ideas. You could also make the stand for the orb you want to make out of pvc. If you want colored pvc verses white you might check out formufit.com. I ordered a lot of different colored connectors from them and it made for a fun looking playstand.
Okay, thanks! Also, do you have a homemade play stand with PVC? If so, I'd love to see it, if possible!

Shyra

Avenue Spotlight Award
Okay, thanks! Also, do you have a homemade play stand with PVC? If so, I'd love to see it, if possible!

I've made two different ones. The one thing I learned was to make sure if you think it might need to be moved that it is narrow enough to fit through your doorways. The first one the side sections come off so that the width is only 24 inches wide. I used 1 1/4" pipe on both stands. The second one was made with a smaller top section for my grey using 3/4" pipe.

playstand pic1.jpg Playstand picwithout toys.jpg

SquawksNibbles

Real Name
Kiera
I've made two different ones. The one thing I learned was to make sure if you think it might need to be moved that it is narrow enough to fit through your doorways. The first one the side sections come off so that the width is only 24 inches wide. I used 1 1/4" pipe on both stands. The second one was made with a smaller top section for my grey using 3/4" pipe.

View attachment 260208 View attachment 260209
Wow! It looks great! Thanks! :)