• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Home with new baby!

NirAntae

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Jennie
Oh.
My.
Gawds.

Two hours in the car and about 15 minutes at home, and I am absolutely flabbergasted at how curious my last parrotlet (who came to me from less-than-ideal, but not terrible, circumstances) wasn't.

On her ride home, she was a puffed up little ball of feathers indistinguishable from a statue of a parrotlet only by the occasional shiver or clumsy-baby falling off the perch.

This little guy was clicking and chirping, watching out the windows, exploring the cage, investigating how the perch is attached to the side, eating and drinking (milletmilletmilletmillet omg he got an entire stick of millet, all to himself! He even tried to pick it up and drag it up to his perch at one point. XD )

When we got home, I got one of the new toys we bought yesterday, and hung it in the travel cage (didn't want it swinging around during the drive. And his big boy palace-cage is still drying after being sanitized.) After the initial 'whoah wait what is that what are you doing?' flutter around the perimeter of the cage, it took about thirty seconds before he was perched on top of the toy and chewing at it curiously. And he even stepped up! (Followed rapidly by stepping down, but that's just fine with me haha)

He is now taking a very well-deserved nap. <3

I think we will probably be going with Tyrallon/Tyr for a name. So far it seems to fit best.

And of course... pics!

So bright-eyed and alert!

He kept getting into this 'surfing' pose that I thought was just hilarious

Home safe and sound, so of course.. naptime.

greys4u

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
CUTE! CUTE! CUTE!

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Congratulations!

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Aww he’s beautiful!

Looking forward to hearing about his antics.

Nikomania

Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
You might want to try him out on one of those mini skateboards. He could turn out to be a natural!
Congratulations!!!

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Congrats on getting your parrotlet. He is very cute.

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elaine
Congratulations. He is adorable (and looks like he will be a hellion).

TikiMyn

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
Congratulations! Beautiful boy:heart:

NirAntae

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Jennie
When he would spread his wings to stretch and the sunlight glittered on the cobalt inner wing/rump and his iridescent turquoise tailfeathers... hnn, my heart just about stopped he is so beautiful. Unfortunately, there is nowhere in our house that gets good natural light. Gonna have to get him a full-spectrum light on a timer for his cage. Atm, he's waking up and quietly talking(chirping) back to the nature show I have on the TV. :xflove:

Unfortunately I don't have any fresh veggies to offer him today - this happened fast enough that we didn't get a chance to go to the grocery store. lol But I have a bunch of good seed+dried foods blends (Zupreem Pure Fun, Smart Selects, and Sensible Seed, Goldenfeast Austalian blend, Volkman Super Parrotlet, Nutriberries, and Garden Mix Bird Treats(a variety of dried veggies)) in addition to both Zupreem and Harrison's pellets. And millet, of course.

Trying to decide if I should move him to his permanent cage today, or give him a few days in the small/travel cage to get used to the new house/be more interested in getting out.

TikiMyn

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
Sounds like he Will enjoy himself pigging out on those blends:D I totally get that awestruck moment when you fully see their colors:heart: Henkie is gorgeous too but Fëanor’s colors change so much depending on the light, it is amazing! I would personally move him to his permanent cage, I think that would be easier. But only you can decide, it Will depend mostly on the bird I think:) Henkie took Some time to get used to my house(few days), Fëanor felt right at home and Tiki took at least a month to adjust reasonably:)

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
He's so cute!

d_msparkles

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Hi sweet little boy! :greet14:

Sounds like he is settling in well and happy to be in his new home! And Waffle napped a LOT on her first day home with us. It's such an exciting and tiring day when they go to their forever home!

kczoe321

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Shutterbugs' Best
Real Name
Kerri
Really, really cute baby you have.

I look forward to reading more updates about him! :)

NirAntae

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Jennie
I put the Vision food bowl in his travel cage with a mix of Zupreem fruity pellets and Harrison's pellets on one side, and the Goldensfeat Australian and Volkman's Parrotlet seed/dried food blends in the other. (ETA: He already had a hanging bowl of water and one of Smart Selects blend (seeds+dried foods+pellets), not like he'd gone hungry until now! XD )
He's still only interested in the spray of millet, however. (I know, you must all be so shocked! :rofl:)

I think I will leave him in the small cage for a few days, until he's a little more used to me, just because it's easier for me to get near him. I don't want to end up with a situation where he flees from me because I'm new and then ends up getting un-hand-tame just because he has so much room to flee to. The big Vision cage is very big, after all. (It's the two-story one.) Even the small cage is plenty big enough for him to be comfortable for some time, just not big enough for the nice variety of toys an active and curious parrotlet deserves over the long term.

He won't quite step up for me (again, no surprise), but he'll let me get to within about an inch of him before he starts doing the wary-eyes or lean-away bit. And he isn't afraid to step on my finger to get past my hand in the other direction... :rolleyes:

Last edited:

DAislandR

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Dustin Aaron
Aww! What a handsome, intellegent lil' guy you have on your hands! I can imagine years of excitement and bonding to come!!