• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Home depot for the poor.

Thenatural

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
John
For those whom may not have thought just a suggestion on " toys".

They are expensive whether you got a pocket full of money or not and I've watched birds bite a piece in half and waste most.

That's my point, its a waste.

Oh but joey needs tons of toys to stay happy!

Perhaps, however most birds just want to interact with their flock out of the silly toy infested roost and have something to chew on.

So for $25 you can go fill a trash bag full of untreated wood that will last a long time.

For my green wing I get both 4x4 and 2x4 untreated pine cut and I cut it three inches thick so she gets plenty of shred and beak work with little waste.

Simply drill holes and slip in dog chain collar and hang the pieces.

Perhaps my bird is just different, right?

Well just give it a try and see and you may find your bird just as happy and your pocket also.

Last time I got damaged wood and got a trash bag full for $4.80.

One love

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
Our macaw does like some pine from HD, but he really does seem to enjoy the different shapes and colors in his toys. We supplement his toys with the natural pine, but I do think he's happier with some variety. :) He also enjoys some baby toys and dog toys, especially the noisy ones! :D

One of his favorite things from HD is the bulk plastic chain. It's super cheap and he loves to snip it into tiny bits! I recommend hanging that in her cage or over a playstand to catch the pieces so you don't end up stepping on them. :confused:
plastic chain.jpeg

Last edited:

Thenatural

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
John
Some do different strokes for different birds.

However it seems as they get older many just ignore the toys for something to chew on.

For people whom have birds like this the home depot can be great.

I've just always been an advocate that most entertainment needs to come from the flock and like a kid they are to worn out to play with toys after plenty interaction.

Hey no doubt if a person is not on a budget and wants to supply many toys then no harm there.

However many indeed waste money on things not needed by some birds to be happy.

There are many things that turn people off from birds and one of them is the cost of toys so if they make them themselves they come out better.

My chuckee was just as thrilled with her wood wedges as she was with colored toys and ropes like her big wood perches.

I don't give her chance to get bored either so that helps.

I just like to show people there is ways to having a happy and healthy bird without thinking you have to spend a ton on them.

I want to see birds get good homes and a poor home can be the best as I have seen many times.

They only cost allot when they are not fed right , left in a cage and mistreated.

Beautiful bird!

One love

faislaq

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
Oh we are definitely on a budget! :broke: And I love good o'l Home Depot to stretch out the toys we do buy 'em. I only buy what I can't make myself or make cheaper myself. I also like to put any useable toy leftovers together with more pine for padding. Buzzard doesn't care as long as his cage floor (and part of the surrounding area looks like it's been mulched. :wacky: He's also a big fan of cardboard, so one of the posts of his playstand is for cardboard tubes & the latest empty box from the kitchen. He's really easy to please, thankfully.

And hubby's clever little goffin loves to take toys apart and reassemble them in different ways. Nothing makes her happier than a $5 one-pound bag of assorted beads from the craft store & some stainless steel nuts & bolts from HD. ;) She especially loves wing nuts! We have really long bolts for her with all sorts of different nuts & washers with beads in between. She loves them! When I do buy toys for her, I'm buying them for their parts & how useable they will be with her other favorite pieces.
Some of the vendors on here sell incredible toy parts. This pic is kinda blurry; she was playing with her beads while we were watching a movie. :xflove:
1206172354b-1.jpg

There are many things that turn people off from birds and one of them is the cost of toys so if they make them themselves they come out better.

My chuckee was just as thrilled with her wood wedges as she was with colored toys and ropes like her big wood perches.

I just like to show people there is ways to having a happy and healthy bird without thinking you have to spend a ton on them.

I want to see birds get good homes and a poor home can be the best as I have seen many times.

They only cost allot when they are not fed right , left in a cage and mistreated.

Beautiful bird!

One love
I agree that most of the cute toys people buy for their pets are more for themselves than the animal. :yes1: There are some bird toys on here that are too adorable to let my birds destroy, so I don't buy those. Birds are so easy to please there's no reason so many go without toys. :(

I am so jealous. I can't wait to have a house with a garage full of power tools!

Last edited:

WendyN

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Wendy
Great idea...

faislaq

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
So for $25 you can go fill a trash bag full of untreated wood that will last a long time.
For my green wing I get both 4x4 and 2x4 untreated pine cut and I cut it three inches thick so she gets plenty of shred and beak work with little waste.

Last time I got damaged wood and got a trash bag full for $4.80.
That's a really good haul! :thumbsup: Some people cut their wood in the store and only take what they need leaving the rest at the store. I've found out that some Home Depots will give you the leftover wood if you ask, others tell you they're not allowed to. The one closest to my house won't, but one on the way to pick up hubby's kids does so I like to stop & check when we're running low. ;)

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
I have bought the unrest pine and had them cut it for a buck and spent only about $30 for twenty or so pounds of wood. Love home depot.