• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Holistic treatment for PBFD?

MadScientist

Sprinting down the street
Does anyone know of any birdsafe products that have anti-viral properties, or topical agents that could soothe the skin? Would coconut or vitamin E oil be safe?

firdy num num

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Eden
All that I can say is to keep his environment clean, mix good varieties of food into his seeds and maybe give him immune booster medicine, PBFD mostly attacks the immune system and follicles inside their feathers and beak, I'm not sure where you can find the immune booster but it's at least the best thing to do, try and get as much help as you can, do lots of research and don't lose hope. :hug8:

gibsongrrrl

Courtney Lou Hoo
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Courtney Lou Hoo

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Keep your bird's room humid with the aid of a humidifier.
Herbal mist - Use the following hydrating herbal therapy to replenish dry skin: Calendula: aids in the healing of dry, cracked skin; Chamomile: soothes and softens skin, reduces inflammation and swelling, helps aid healing; Elder: softens skin.
Recipe: 4 cups of boiling water/1 tsp. of fresh herb leaves/flowers/bark (placed in a stainless steel or porcelain infusion ball). Let steep for about 10-15 minutes in measuring cup then filter liquid through a cheesecloth or strainer into mister bottle, add to this 15 drops of sesame oil and it's ready. Spray your birds thoroughly and don't forget their feet where they may need it the most! Extra tip: Be sure your birds have perches of varying diameter to keep their feet comfortable and stress-free.
Water nourishment - Water is a very important component to health and moisture is necessary for healthy skin and feathers. Be sure fresh clean water is always available; without it our birds rapidly become dehydrated. Mineral water may be added to drinking water in a ratio of 1:1. I use Miracle Water by Alacer,

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
I have heard good things about virgin coconut oil. I just ordered some and will start adding it to their mash.

MadScientist

Sprinting down the street
Alright! Thank you everyone for your responses! Here is what I'm currently doing/getting:

• I have a huge shopping list of superfoods now, so I will be getting those when I go out.
  • Apple cider vinegar for Obi's candiasis.
  • Mineral water.
  • I plan on getting booster next month, as I currently have a ton of Sunshine Factor that I've been giving him.
  • Just bought Healx on Amazon in the spray variety
  • I intend on getting coconut oil today at the health food store, for topical application

JAM

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Here are a few videos featuring Dr Ross Perry, they may have some good info in them

PBFD videos

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
I have been treating my birds for avian gastric yeast infection and was giving them the apple cider vinegar in water for a month or more. My avian vet told me it was a waste if effort and would have no effect on the yeast. We switched to amphotericin B an anti fungal and that has been for 30 days as of today. More swabs were done and I should find out the results tomorrow. Personally I saw the ACV slow down the symptoms (vomiting) so I would say it is more of a comfort measure than a treatment.

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
What about tea ......I think Jason Cream has an avian detox blend, would that be beneficial? There are several blends in his teas but Luke previously mentioned, make sure clear water still offered

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
i have been using Soother+ cream on Rocky's cancer. (thanks @Clueless) My Vet is impressed by the fact that he is not picking at it as much. he doesn't like mom put it on very much, but willing puts up with it. the biggest thing that i can suggest is make sure to wash it off every 7-10 days. it can get kind of coaty (if that is word) on their feathers. it can be tough to get off too. (baby wash for human babies diluted 1 part to 20 parts water does help some) make sure you rinse well too.
:tiel2: and mom