• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Holistic relief ideas for Arthritis in feet

Gimby

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Katie Denski
Any holistic/natural relief for Arthritic feet? What about a warm salt water foot dunk? Please share your knowledge with me :cantsee:

Pixiebeak

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Laura
Ginger and tumeric are anti inflammatory provide some minor pain relief. She and I haven't tried the devil's claw yet, but was shared at Avian vet conference by respected veterinarian.
IMG_20231122_202606.jpg
I've used the Ginger and turmeric and found it did have some affect on pain .

Radiant heat panel, my old girl would sit by it often for nap. After baths .

And wide perches that support the foot so only the last joint and nails curl around.

For medium to large parrots , it's so important to not have them spend a lifetime sitting on open cage door.
To prevent this later in life.
Not saying you did. Just it's a real pet peeve of mine , and something that is so common to see!!! That and not having near small log size perch available for medium to large birds. My budgies, GCC, and quakers have very large diameter available , some are branches I cut for them . I don't see offered , large enough ones for bigger species, or least not often. Make your hand flat then act like you are palming a foot ball. Birds need at least one perch that has their feet in that shape when they perch on it . That supports and spreads out their weight. Preventing toe foot , leg joints arthritis later in life , or goes a long way in preventing.
IMG_20231202_162922286~2.jpg
IMG_20231202_155708028.jpg IMG_20231202_151959518.jpg
This swing was being sold for medium Amazon, cockatoo. I got for my much smaller quakers, but the budgies prefer it . Excuse all the poop, budgie poop a lot!!

I hope many others who will read this , will be motivated to provide some much larger perches . Ok off my soap box

WillowQ

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Heather Gerbyshak
I suggest warming perches (thermal perch) or flat perches, large diameter perches, and horizontal ladders.
If the foot is painful, the bird can lay on his tummy on a very large perch, a platform perch, or a horizontal ladder without having to grasp the perch tightly.
this also works with splay legs or where one leg has been broken and reset poorly.

what else? My very old Quaker and Conure enjoyed having foot rubs with a coconut oil based moisturizer, as recommended by their vet. I also gave my birds a single flax seed per 30 grams of weight, also recommended. And real arthritis may require an anti inflammatory and pain medication, which your vet can provide.

Gimby

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Katie Denski
I suggest warming perches (thermal perch) or flat perches, large diameter perches, and horizontal ladders.
If the foot is painful, the bird can lay on his tummy on a very large perch, a platform perch, or a horizontal ladder without having to grasp the perch tightly.
this also works with splay legs or where one leg has been broken and reset poorly.

what else? My very old Quaker and Conure enjoyed having foot rubs with a coconut oil based moisturizer, as recommended by their vet. I also gave my birds a single flax seed per 30 grams of weight, also recommended. And real arthritis may require an anti inflammatory and pain medication, which your vet can provide.
Any brand suggestion for the warming perch?

Gimby

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Katie Denski
He already has all that has been suggested here with exception of warming perch and foot rubs. He does not like his feet touched and vet intervention.

WillowQ

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Heather Gerbyshak
K&H pet products thermo-perch is the brand. I bought this years ago but looks like more are available.