• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Holistic & Irish advice needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

jake&kiwi'smom

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pam
Ok.... I have a few questions , Irish since he has been with me ( since the 17th)He is 2 yrs of age. I immediatly started him on the FRESH food & also pellets.Doesn't really seem interested in the pellets but will eat them. Goes for the fresh 1st. He gorges himself (or I think he does) I put 2 table spoons of fresh in his bowl @ 7:30 am , he is still eating on it and wont stop till it's gone.! HE LOVES IT!!!:dance4:
Now he has loose stools wich is probably from the change in food & being fresh. Drink plenty of water.
DOESN'T DROP any of the food on bottom of cage :lol:. So my question is ~ How much should I be feeding him daily??? When he came to me he appeared under weight. Now he looks like he has put on a few grams. It is impossible at this time to weigh him , because , he is not tame and freaks out. Oh and he loves Cinnamon. Doesn't like the rice , goes for the greens & veggies . He also loves red bell pepper.. It's almost like he isn't getting full Or just starving . He will then rest for a hour or so then start back to eating again. :huh: Also too he has alot of pinn feathers that have popped out more these past couple of days.
So any help / advice would be appriciated! Thanks in ADVANCE:hug8::hug8:

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
As much healthy food as he's willing to eat, as long as it's as balanced as possible. The loose stools may be because of the diet change and his system having to get used to it, but it could also be something different.

If he hasn't been to an a-vet yet, then it may be a good time to do so.

jake&kiwi'smom

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pam
As much healthy food as he's willing to eat, as long as it's as balanced as possible. The loose stools may be because of the diet change and his system having to get used to it, but it could also be something different.

He just started the loose stools when he started eating the fresh.. It's greens & veggies
Ok I know i seen something on here , on how to balance the foods out. Point me in the right direction lol Never mind I found it i think

Last edited:

MommyBird

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Debbie
My vet didn't laugh when I told her I thought my OWA has an eating disorder. She will eat every single thing in her dish, and if she could get to Chico's dishes all of that too.
She would eat until her crop is sticking so far out you think she'll topple over. It looked really uncomfortable.
My vet said since we don't know her history it might be that she had a time when there was not food. She has worked with a large parrot rescue and seen a lot, she didn't think it was a crazy idea.
I'm not trying to say that is Irish's problem, but just that it can happen. Amazons love to eat anyway.
I think it is possible he will slow down once he realizes food will always come, and he's probably thrilled with fresh stuff. I don't think 2 tbl of fresh food for a mealy is a lot either.
Since you can't weigh him, how full does his crop look? Have you had him to a vet? It's important to get him checked out and weighed.

jake&kiwi'smom

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pam
My vet didn't laugh when I told her I thought my OWA has an eating disorder. She will eat every single thing in her dish, and if she could get to Chico's dishes all of that too.
She would eat until her crop is sticking so far out you think she'll topple over. It looked really uncomfortable.
My vet said since we don't know her history it might be that she had a time when there was not food. She has worked with a large parrot rescue and seen a lot, she didn't think it was a crazy idea.
I'm not trying to say that is Irish's problem, but just that it can happen. Amazons love to eat anyway.
I think it is possible he will slow down once he realizes food will always come, and he's probably thrilled with fresh stuff. I don't think 2 tbl of fresh food for a mealy is a lot either.
Since you can't weigh him, how full does his crop look? Have you had him to a vet? It's important to get him checked out and weighed.
No his crop isn't sticking out.
The 2 tablespoons is at each time , when he gets done with that I put more in bcause he starts to get vocal . he has been eating since 7 am aprox. till now he just took a break lol.... as far as the vet goes I 'm making a appointment tomorrow , just wanted him to settle in a bit b4 I made the app. I really think he is just hungry and he likes it?

Last edited:

jake&kiwi'smom

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pam

Here is what I'm feeding him... All fresh , Kale, mustard greens , broccoli , carrot , turnip , sweet potato , red bell pepper , brussel sprouts ,squash , cauliflower , bok choy, peas ,corn , assorted beans just to name a few.
Then for fruit i give them ...Fresh Apples , grapes , apricot , kumquat again just to name a few.... So I think I'm doing right ???? Also I add flax seed too.

Last edited:

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Sounds good, although it would be a good idea to watch for what beans you are feeding.

Feeding Feathers recommends the base of the fresh food diet to include 30% healthy cooked/sprouted grains, 15% healthy/cooked legumes (Adzuki, Mung, Sprouting Peas, Lentils - all others *MUST* be soaked overnight and fully cooked), 45% vegetables and 10% fruits.

http://forums.avianavenue.com/feath...d-safe-fresh-foods-toxic-food-lists-more.html

So I'd say you have a pretty good start on his diet! Let us know how the vet visit goes!

(PS, send Irish on over here! My conure is pretty picky about what fresh foods he eats, unless I'm eating them too! He could use a teacher! :p )

jake&kiwi'smom

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pam
Sounds good, although it would be a good idea to watch for what beans you are feeding.

Feeding Feathers recommends the base of the fresh food diet to include 30% healthy cooked/sprouted grains, 15% healthy/cooked legumes (Adzuki, Mung, Sprouting Peas, Lentils - all others *MUST* be soaked overnight and fully cooked), 45% vegetables and 10% fruits.

http://forums.avianavenue.com/feath...d-safe-fresh-foods-toxic-food-lists-more.html

So I'd say you have a pretty good start on his diet! Let us know how the vet visit goes!

(PS, send Irish on over here! My conure is pretty picky about what fresh foods he eats, unless I'm eating them too! He could use a teacher! :p )
Sure as long as you send him back lol..... Also tomorrow I'm going to look into ordering the stuff to sprout.. I cook lentils , . And chickapeas and one other also brown rice

thekacshclan

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Amanda
thank you for the links!!! i can't wait to start my birdies on a fresh diet!

Status
Not open for further replies.