• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Holding grudge?

KellyBean

Meeting neighbors
I have a baby green cheek. I just got him last Sat. He's been kinda bipolar, but I do attribute some of that to me still learning what he's saying with different sounds and body langauge. Anyways, today he was being a sweetie pretty much all day. I had him out and he was being friendly and sociable while we were doing school, hanging out on the table. He decided however to fly at me, and I didn't have time to spend like that so I stuck him back in his cage. Ever since then, every time I take him out, he's being evil. He want on my shoulder only. If I touch him whatsoever he sounds just like donald duck throwing a temper tantrum. And will bite the living day lights out of me if/when I take him off my shoulder. How the heck do I get him to be friendly again??

Greencheek Lee

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Lee
Rember to go slow, a week isn't very long so you still have trust to build. Bribery works well, does he have a favorite treat? Make sure you have an area he can play on when you're busy but still can have him out of the cage.

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Establishing some sort of a routine helps, as does training. I agree, you need to take everything slow and work at gaining his trust. Try to never force him to do anything, but find a way to make everything his choice. Saving his favorite treat only for rewarding him when he does something you like works wonders. You can start target training or step up training if he’s not afraid of hands. Also, when you do put him back in his cage, not only give him a treat, but spend some time talking with him so he doesn’t feel like he’s being abandoned. You could also put him in once in awhile and then take him right out again, so he doesn’t think always going in his cage means he has to stay there. In addition to food, happy behavior from you can also be very rewarding to him. It sounds like he likes being with you, so that’s good. You might want to keep him off your shoulder for now. Try to avoid getting bit at all costs, because you don’t want it to become a habit. Perch training can also work so he bites the stick and not you. You said you “stuck him back in his cage.” What did you mean by this? Did you force him? He could be afraid of your hands now, so it might take some time for him to get over this. Just make sure your hands are the bringer of all good things.

KellyBean

Meeting neighbors
I put him back in. Not forcefully. But just like, cage time.... if that makes sense.
He comes right up to me and hops on my finger without hesitation. And he's normal if he's hanging out on your hand or arm. But its like he's territorial about shoulder time. On everyone's shoulder. And being nippy with everyone too. Not just me. So idk what the deal is. He was being playful and sweet again this evening. Till he got on my 3 yr old's shoulder. Then my 9 yr old came up to pet him and he got nippy.
Maybe it's unrelated to the situation this afternoon with being put back in before he was ready hanging out. I really don't know.

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sadie
If he can't behave himself on a shoulder, don't allow shoulder time at all. If you wish, you can hold him on a perch or your hand and talk and interact with him normally. If he tries to climb up further, gently tip your arm down/perch so he can get down to the cage top/play gym and reward him for getting off.