• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Hoffman conure and cockatiels

datlamb

Sprinting down the street
A friend recently asked me if I want her Hoffman conure.

I don't know if I can take him in yet but I do have some questions before I truly consider it.

I now have 2 cockatiels. I know that the conure will be able to hurt them, so playtime together will have to be supervised or nonexistent. And they'll have to be in separate cages as well.

But will the cockatiels hurt the conure with their dander and dust?
If so, will their cage's have to be in different parts of the house?

Another question is, I know Hoffman conures are rare, so not much info is known about them. Is there a conure like them that I can research to know more about their temperament and how they are as pets?
If anyone here has some experience I'd love to hear about it!

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
My Dusky conure is in the same room with my 'tiels and when I had a maroon-bellied and a different Dusky they were also in the same room.
One of the 'tiels was best friends with that Dusky.
Don't know about Hoffman's conures except, as you wrote, they are rare.
If you do take the Hoffman's be sure that you quarantine it from your 'tiels for at leat 30-45 days.

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
They are Pyrrhura conures... like green cheeks, black masked and maroon bellieds. Their closest relative in captivity would probably be rose crowned conures.

BirdGuy21

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jake
I've never seen or read of a Hoffman Conure before, but from a quick google search they are pretty birds. I would be very careful letting him interact with the 'tiels as conure's beaks are much bigger and stronger. I second the quarantine recommended by @iamwhoiam. I would also get him vet checked as well.