• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

hissing cockaroach question

ilikebirds

Jogging around the block
anyone else keep insects as friends? ive 2 male madagascar hissers, but am having a problem with fruit flies. my hissers need fruits and veggies, and the fruit flies are very drawn to this enclosure, more than any else. besides setting up a fruit fly trap in their habitat itself, any ideas?

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
I've read your post and am not saying anything because if I do it could (and would) be used in a court of law) against me ... suffice it to say I grew up in S. America where cockroaches :wideyed: :jawdrop1: :wtf: , hmmm, are not considered pets? :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Greycloud

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
When I worked at the zoo we had Madagascar Hissing Cockroaches. They also drew a lot of Fruit flies however, we were dealing with large numbers of animals. The only thing you can do is store fruits in sealed containers. If you have a screened lid the fruit flies will smell the fruit and come. We kept our Roaches in sealed aquariums with sliding glass doors. This helped some. Once those darn fruit flies start breeding it can become an endless battle.

Sadieladie1994

Riding the Skies
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Peggy
Aracaris are big into fruit and one can have the same issue with fruit flies. I kept a few bottles of vinegar nearby and I caught a lot of fruit flies. Clean your drains. The internet has formulas you can use. Seal everything. Keep cages clean.